Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Waterproof / water repellent bib tights
  • perditus
    Free Member

Any recommendations – preferably with a pad.

perditus
    Free Member
    fudge9202
    Free Member

I’d go for these
    https://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-goat-climb-conquer-deep-winter-full-length-cycle-tights-men-women/

I have their waterproof jersey and it’s fantastic

scaredypants

FWIW, I’d go for no pad and wear normal shorts underneath (likely better fitting/pad and possible to wear the tights more than once if you’re caught “between washes”)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FWIW, I’d go for no pad and wear normal shorts underneath (likely better fitting/pad and possible to wear the tights more than once if you’re caught “between washes”)

This is correct.

Pearl Izumi make some great ones. Fit can be a little bit and miss, but if they fit, they’re excellent.

scotroutes

I’ve used Endura Stealth and Stealth Lite. In both cases it has to be bloody cold before they make sense as it’s like wearing a wetsuit. Pearl Izumi Amfibs might be worth trying? I echo the comment about avoiding pads though. The more you wash your waterproof item, the less waterproof it will become.

dovebiker

I have some Stealth Lites – OK for shorter, cold rides in torrential rain but they’re not breathable enough for extended efforts – a pair of Gore-Tex over shorts over a regular tight is my preference for longer rides.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the morvelo stormshield ones have been kind to me in the past.

darrell
    Free Member

I just dont care and go for the “as long as I’m warm” angle

simondbarnes

The ones made with the new Pearl Izumi PI dry fabric are ace.

Gotama
    Free Member

Those wearing shorts and tights are you wearing two sets of bibs or is one pair bib-less? Seems like a lot of uncomfortable bib action with both.

daern
    Free Member

Those wearing shorts and tights are you wearing two sets of bibs or is one pair bib-less? Seems like a lot of uncomfortable bib action with both.

My wardrobe is mostly padded bib shorts and then everything else is non-padded, designed to layer on top as required (or not, when on the road bike 🙂 ). This suits me well and I don’t need to layer bibs on bibs.

FWIW, I’ve got some Gore winter tights and, while not waterproof, they are extremely comfy and I’ve worn them in some grim conditions and they do a good job of keeping the warmth in and the weather out, without leaving me feeling like I’m riding in a sweatbox. I do have some traditional waterproof shell pants, but they get saved for biblical weather.

akira

Castelli nanoflex, good and comfy and very effective at keeping you dry.

Gotama
    Free Member

My wardrobe is mostly padded bib shorts and then everything else is non-padded, designed to layer on top as required (or not, when on the road bike ). This suits me well and I don’t need to layer bibs on bibs.

Sorry, what I meant is do you have two sets of shoulder straps as opposed to two pads!

slowster
    Free Member

A big advantage of the Pearl Izumi Amfib bibs is the ‘gasket’ or gaiter which fits over the top of your boots/overshoes.

The issue with fit as mentioned by CFH is largely due to the fact that the softshell fabrics used by Pearl Izumi (and others who make that type of bibtight) inevitably have less stretch than the ordinary fleecy roubaix fabric used in bibtights. Hence complicated panel cuts are often used, and they will not be forgiving of unusual body shapes.

iainc

if it’s proper wet then I use Endura MT500 waterproof trousers over regular bib shorts or 3/4’s

chaos

I’ve been very happy with the Lusso Repel bib tights (no pad). They’re not as hot as the Endura equivalent and also don’t have that slight feeling of resisting your leg as the knee comes up I find with some leggings & knee pads. Made in the UK I think or at least a UK company as well if you like that kind of thing.

IHN

Sorry, what I meant is do you have two sets of shoulder straps as opposed to two pads!

Yep, two sets of shoulder straps, it’s no issue.

In fact, if you layer up in the order
    – bib shorts
    – base layer top
    – bib longs
    – main jersey

it’s super toasty 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

The ones made with the new Pearl Izumi PI dry fabric are ace.

Don’t tell me that, I’m trying not to buy any new winter kit.

FWIW, in the depths of winter I also wear bib shorts under non-padded tights with the straps of the bib shorts under my baselayer. I’ve never thought about it being odd as it works.

IHN

For veeeeery cold days, if you layer yo in the order

– base layer top
    – bib shorts
    – main jersey
    – bib longs
    – jacket

it’s extra-super toasty, but you look a bit of a twonk when you take your jacket off 🙂

Bez

If anyone wants some Pearl Izumi Amfibs in sasquatch size, I’ve got some BNWT ones, they’re too big for me.

IHN

What size is a sasquatch?

Bez

Hooooooooge

josemctavish
    Free Member

I’d definitely rate the Castelli Nanoflex Pro bibs – they feel just like normal roubaix bibs but do a great job of shedding water. I wore them for the Cairngorms Loop this weekend and they kept my legs comfortable and freakishly dry after doing a waist deep crossing of the Fords of Avon!

These ones

It’s worth going for the pro version as the x2 pad is much better than the KiSS one. Think I got mine for 90 odd pound in a sale.

LeeW

I’ve used the Endura stealth and stealth lite ones in the past, both were superb when they worked but they didn’t last very long – the material wasn’t very waterproof at all to be fair.

I sent them back and got a refund on both pairs. Now I either use the turbo or try to stay warm using Gore bike wear ones. Pads aren’t great so I always wear a pair of shorts underneath.

daern
    Free Member

Nope, I’ve never felt the need to wear > 1 pair of bibs and my wardrobe is built around this. I’ve got some long, winter road bib tights (club-branded) and I wear these on their own. For MTB, I have short bibs and long, non-bib tights that go over the top. If I get around to it, I’ll probably buy some padded bib-longs so I can simplify here, in which case I’d just wear these.

ransos
    Free Member

I’d definitely rate the Castelli Nanoflex Pro bibs

I have those for road duties, but I don’t think I’d risk such an expensive and easily damaged item for mtb.

iainc

a few saying base layer top under their bibs, how odd !

mugsys_m8

iainc – Member
    a few saying base layer top under their bibs, how odd !

Seems pretty normal to me…if you wear a lightweight, (even mesh type) short sleeve base layer with bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey á la roadie, surely you don’t put it on top of the bibs? The tail would hang out under a short sleeve jersey.

In winter a long sleeve base layer tucked into bibs can offer protection to ‘other parts’

Anyway, what job no. are you charging this to?

globalti
    Free Member

Lusso. Made in Radcliffe, Manchester and unbelievably hard-wearing.

iainc

🙂 Dan, still sounds a bit odd to me, must be the mtb’er within !

chakaping
    Free Member

Lusso Max Repel, here. Very water repellent rather than totally waterproof.

Can usually get them under £50.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Base layer under bib straps means everything is tucked in and no chance of a chill up your back. It also means the gripper on the bottom of your jersey sits against your bibs nice and snugly, again reducing the chance of a breeze.

josemctavish
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d risk such an expensive and easily damaged item for mtb

It’s all just riding bikes though? I’ll wear whatever I have that suits the conditions for the ride in question and I’d have been a lot more uncomfortable without them over the weekend!

scotroutes

Base layer under bib straps – of course.

jonnyrockymountain

i have some size medium pearl izumi amfib’s for sale if any one interested good condition, worn about 10 times over last winter £45 posted, email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

fifeandy
    Free Member

If going this route the Endura thermolites are not a bad bet. The teflon repellent is certainly the most durable i’ve come across so far, and its nice being able to brush off beaded mud in seconds after the ride.

Obviously base layer under straps, otherwise its one more item to take off when you need a Dumoulin, which is not good if A) time is off the essence, and/or B) its -5°C

mattsccm
    Free Member

Trouble with IHN’s layering scheme is pissing. With gloves on, in the rain, trying not to get everything wet, in a hurry and trying to find the pink pubic hair that’s somehow inside your body is not easy.
    Sorry about the sentence construction.

daern
    Free Member

trying to find the pink pubic hair that’s somehow inside your body is not easy

Brief pause to parse this sentence, and then tea in keyboard 🙂

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    …The more you wash your waterproof item, the less waterproof it will become.

And the less you wash it, the more repellent it becomes…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof / water repellent bib tights’ is closed to new replies.