• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skids.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waterproof walking boots that last?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Boring thread this but I need some new boots for walking the dog in through wet and muddy fields. Wellies don’t cut it as they’re uncomfortable, lack support and get sweaty. I’ve been using some berghaus goretex ones which were great until they both split at a seam in the same place down the sides and now let in loads of water. Pretty shit considering I’ve only had them since December. What do you guys suggest? I guess they don’t need to be too warm, waterproof but breathable is more important. Budget £50-100 max.

Cougar

Get the ones you have replaced under warranty.

_tom_
    Free Member

I will, and then get rid because no doubt it’ll happen again.

13thfloormonk

Think you want something leather, the fabric/Goretex style boots will inevitably wear out as they flex so much. Leather is more inherently waterproof although in part because it flexes less I guess.

I’vw got some one piece leather Altbergs that are 100% waterproof and likely to remain so. Not very comfortable though!

matt_outandabout

+1 for leather if you want durability – and keep them oiled/dubbined up.

I have some slipper like Raichle (now Mammut) Mountain Guide GTX’s that are a good few hundred mountain days in, all year round, and now need new soles – but the uppers are hanging on in there for waterproofing and no splits.

mttm
    Free Member

I went for some Hi-Tec Summits for the same job. I’ve been wearing Albergs for years, but they were getting a bit spendy to wear out dog walking. The Summits have been superb – the best outsole I have used for coping with wet limestone (which may or may not be important to you). Got mine from Go Outdoors here for £90.

keithb

The length inspectors at my work (who walk 10k a day,every day,rain or shine on generally soft terrain) tend to go for leather boots (Mammut for one) and look after them. Generally they have 2 pairs to enable them to last a year.

Or,cheap £35 Karrimor ones from go outdoors, I recently wore a pair all day,every day for nearly a year till the seams gave out. Remained waterproof though. Really comfy too. Buy 2 pairs and bank £30 while accepting you’ll need to replace them more frequently?

Or genuine army surplus. But they weigh a tonne and are still only as good as the case regime,being leather.

I’d go cheap synthetic every time and replace regularly, but I’m crap at looking after kit!

Edit: my year of wear was a mix of office,site and home based used. So not hardcore,but most shoes don’t last that long under similar usage!

ThePilot
    Free Member

I just bought a pair of these

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/freet-5-1-mudgrip-mid-walking-shoes-mudgripmid-darkgrey.html?gclid=CN2MqvvetM0CFUs6Gwod-4EGxQ

They got mixed reviews so I don’t how long they’ll last but I thought they were worth a go for £30. Super grippy too. They’re maybe the boot version of a Schwalbe Magic Mary 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve some asolos for sale if you’re a 9

dknwhy

If it’s literally for walking the dog then get some from decathlon and make use of their 2 year guarantee if they fail.

footflaps

When I used to do a lot of outdoor stuff I used Berghaus GTX Yeti Gaiters over non water proof leather boots. Never had wet feet.

mps711
    Free Member

Do you need a certain make of boot for the yeti gaiters to fit?

ads678

I’ve had a pair of Brasher goretex ones for (maybe 10ish) years and they’ve never let in water. Bought from TKMaxx for about £50.
    Great boots, although one has started squeaking 👿

footflaps

Do you need a certain make of boot for the yeti gaiters to fit?

No, they stretch quite well. Stiffer soles are generally better as otherwise the toe can peal off. NB For ultimate reliability you can glue the toe on.

Loads for sale 2nd on Ebay for not much money.

I have some used size 9/1010-12 by my desk you can have for postage….

mps711
    Free Member

Cheers Footflaps, I’ll take you up on that. I’ll pm you my details.

slowoldman

No, they stretch quite well

Tremendous party game to fit them the first time. Are they OK on soles without the groove for the bead, footflaps, I’ve only ever fitted them on old Skywalk soles?

stu170
    Free Member

Military goretex. Walk for days in mine.

footflaps

Are they OK on soles without the groove for the bead, footflaps, I’ve only ever fitted them on old Skywalk soles?

If the boots are clean and dry, you get a good friction fit. The only problems I’ve had are if the toe of the boot gets wet and the sole if flexy, then the toe keeps popping off. The solution to this is just to glue them onto the sole at the front using seam sealant (which you can just cut off with a knife to release).

Once fitted, I never took them off the boots till the boots needed resoling or the Yeti gater needed a new rand.

The other advantage of Yetis was that they are ideal for keeping an OS map in. I used to shove the map down the side of the right gaitor, much easier access than pockets etc and always to hand…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Lowa Mountain Boot GTX. Brilliant. A bit over budget, but mine are still going strong after 2 years of abuse. Perfectly waterproof, resoleable too. Comfy out of the box.

xcgb
    Free Member

The length inspectors

snigger

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Haix high liability combat boots British army surplus available on flea bay for 50 quidish brand new – take a little wearing in but they are dam near indestructible. Army boys prefer the Albert boot so Haix are cheaper. Come in half sizes and different widths

core

I like my Bergaus GTX fabric boots, they’re feather light for walking boots, and until last year were still fully waterproof, no obvious splits or holes now, but they let water in now, probably 7 years old, mainly used in proper crap weather, hardly ever cleaned.

I’ve also got some 12 year old Meindl Burma Pro GTX memory foam, still waterproof, still as good as ever, need to keep them dubbined up. Less flexible than the Berghaus, but better for big days.

keithb

On review, do not get the regatta waterproof shoes from go outdoors, I discovered that they are definitely not waterproof today, to the extent that the only yet bit of me was the parts of my feet in the shoes… Needless to say they will be going back as not fit for purpose.

damascus
    Free Member

Lowa gortex leather boots. 10 years old. Soles nearly worn through now but still waterproof.

They are on the heavy and expensive side of things.

I was in an army surplus store in Keswick a few weeks ago and they had an exact copy for about £50.

I guess they are just army boots made to last. Leather and waterproof. I was very tempted to try them,

skids
    Free Member

My last ones were pretty good, merrel goretex almost like a trainer lasted ages got almost a year out of them before the sole wore, they were still waterproof though

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof walking boots that last?’ is closed to new replies.