Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Waterproof Trousers…3/4 or Full Length???
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Yes I know it’s the middle of summer and yes I know the trails are dusty right now but there are a few deals around on winter gear and I was planning to pick some up in anticipation of the inevitable rain we will see over Autumn/Winter.

So the advice I’m looking for is what’s better 3/4 or full length?

I ride with knee pads and think 3/4 look more practical in the respect they won’t catch in my front chain ring and will probably be better in the mild weather but full length look as though they will keep more of me clean, dry and warm in the real cold winter months.

Experiences and opinions welcome (as well as suggested brands/models).

nickjb
    Free Member

Both have merits. 3/4 are good for generally keeping you comfortable. Stops puddle spray soaking your bum and keeps your thighs warm. Full length will be better in really foul weather. If you wear boots full length should keep your feet dry to. I generally wear 3/4 and live with damp feet.

onehundredthidiot

Shorts with either full or 3/4 tights underneath. Otherwise you’ll boil in a bag. I use Endura, same pair for the past 5 years, although they won’t see this winter out.

Full length just not comfortable and overheat way too quickly, 3/4 all the disadvantages of full length re heat with the added catching on chain thrown in. Shorts will allow you to stay dryish (upper legs) have some air flow so you don’t get too sweaty and can be used in the summer if needs be.

You can get really quite cold in teh winter if you are sweaty from head to foot.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

As above,
    For nasty commuting I have a pair of full length waterproofs, but always finish the ride sweaty, their main purpose is to to keep the rain from trickling into my over boots.

For trail, I’m not bothered about wet feet (sealskin socks are a bonus though) it’s just the thought of a wet arse that is off putting so WP shorts that end at my knee pads are enough.

z1ppy

3/4’s waterproof shorts for MTB-ing, is my prefered option. Got some full length waterproof trousers and their relegated to a cupboard as they make you(me) sweaty and cool down really quickly (due to the condensation) when you stop. I can get my g-form pads (admittedly their thinner than most) under my Altura attack 3/’s

nwill1
    Free Member

Not thought of the tights under shorts thing…probably the best of both worlds the only part I’m trying to keep dry/the only notable part that gets uncomfortable is my backside.

Any suggestion on the tights? On that note any suggestions for a reasonably prices set that also will provide coverage of my lower back for the gap when my tops pull out of my shorts?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Any suggestion on the tights? On that note any suggestions for a reasonably prices set that also will provide coverage of my lower back for the gap when my tops pull out of my shorts?

Lusso max repel bibs are what normally gets suggested here I’d say. I’ll be getting a pair ready for this winter myself.

back2basics
    Free Member

+1 on the lusso – i have them and they work great – not for walking around town in though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Trousers…3/4 or Full Length???’ is closed to new replies.