Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Waterproof trousers
  • mikey74
    Free Member

What’s good? I’m thinking up to £50 budget.

The only store I have local to me is Millets, although there is a Cotswold Outdoors about 15 miles away,if that helps.

dknwhy

Berghaus Deluge is the standard response or Gore Tex Army surplus (You can get Navy ones too pretty cheap and less camo!)
    I’ve just bought some Tenn Protean zip off ones for the bike but i’m yet to test them….

mikey74
    Free Member

For the record, they are for hiking, not biking (and poetry too :mrgreen:), including standing around studying stuff.

zippykona

More than happy with my lidl ones.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t have a Lidl, only an Aldi.

jimw
    Free Member

At Millets,
    These may be worth a look-I haven’t worn this particular model but have had a couple pf pairs of Berghaus waterproof trousers and they fitted well and were very durable

http://www.millets.co.uk/mens/115125-berghaus-mens-deluge-overtrousers.html

Edit:
    I used to really rate Cotswold Outdoors when it was still family owned, ever since they were taken over by a bigger conglomerate (US based?) 10 years or so ago have been less than impressed by the South Cerney store. Now been sold again

lemonysam
    Free Member

The Deluges are good though I have Marmot Precips. With waterproof trousers if you use them a lot you will trash them no matter what you buy so buy reasonably cheap, ideally with full or at least long zips. If you use crampons or ski in them then ankle patches help but won’t stop you destroying them.

chakaping
    Free Member

army surplus goretex are £15

I’m so pleased with the pair I got for biking that I’m gonna get another pair for walking.

They’re supposed to be overtrousers and you could get away with a pair of shorts or ron hills under

mikey74
    Free Member

No crampons or skiing, but I will be traversing rock formations a lot they could get damaged.

I see Millets do a student discount as well, so it may have to be the Deluges :mrgreen:

Cheers folks.

mikey74
    Free Member

army surplus goretex are £15

Where from?

chrisdw
    Free Member

I hate elastic waist waterproof trousers as you end up with too many bands around your waist.
    I got some Mountain Equipment Karakorum pants, they are a salopette style trouser. Not the cheapest, but they are fantastic and stand up to anything I can throw at them including brambles. You can also drop the back to have a poo without taking the braces off.

scruff
    Free Member

Raf ones really good but there are holes instead of pockets on mine. Presumably to gain access to your under crackers.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. Do you know how they size up? I’m 32 waist with long legs.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m 33in waist and medium is fine. They’re elastic waisted.

Can’t comment on leg length, I cut them off.

mikey74
    Free Member

Can you get waterproof cargo pants? The extra pockets would be very useful.

footflaps
    mikey74
    Free Member

No waterproof cargo trousers though.

loddrik
    Free Member

RAF goretex recommended to be on here and they have been great. £15.

jjojjas
    Free Member

army or RAF surplus. just search fleabay for them. £20 but they are just as good as the £100+ berghaus ones I used to have for hill walking.

Kunstler

I’ve had those RAF goretex over trousers for a couple of years now and they have been great. Very durable and have outlasted previous Madison waterproof shorts by a long way. They could be a little longer in the leg for cycling purposes (if you choose not to cut them to short length) to fit over the tops of boots but I have running gaiters to keep the worst of the wet out.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof trousers’ is closed to new replies.