Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Waterproof socks
  • roverpig

I like the idea of waterproof socks. In fact I bought some of the first generation (Porelle Dry), but I never actually wear them. This is basically because there is pretty much no stretch, so it just feels as though I’ve wrapped my foot in masking tape.

So, simple question, have they got any better? Are there now waterproof socks that are actually comfortable to wear and if so, which ones should I go for?

Thanks.

lee170
    Free Member

I’ve got some sealskinz waterproof socks and I find them comfy to wear, feel strange at first but once riding I don’t notice there on

Kahurangi

The new seal skins are pretty comfy, though there’s still some of that funny sensation that you’ll recognise. Never notice it much when I’m riding though.

Longer length is obviously a benefit to keeping the water out of the hole in the top, as is a the new Seal Skinz with the gripper cuff or even better a home-made gaiter.

prawny

I’d have thought so, I’m a cheapskate and only have the Aldi one’s which are made by porelle (or the lining is anyway) and they’re comfortable once they’re on. Feel a bit weird at first, as the air doesn’t squeeze through the material so you’re pushing your foot into a wooley tube

martinhutch

I wear thin liner socks under Sealskinz so they feel fine. I can’t seem to find them in knee-length at my size any more though, and even with fancy cuffs I can’t see a lower sock keeping enough water out. Did 15 miles riding through a continuous puddle in the pissing rain in Nidderdale the other day in calf-length sealskinz and it felt like I was treading grapes by the end.

Northwind

I predict, no agreement whatsoever in this thread

I got some dexshells last year, they’re a bit better than sealskinz ime. But I was happy enough with sealskinz too.

I consider them pretty much essential tbh unless you have a really good winter boot. They’re not perfect- you do get some water in, and once it’s in it doesn’t get out so you get squishy. But that’s kind of not the point, instead of going “they’re not completely waterproof so they’re rubbish” you have to compare with no waterproof socks, which unsurprisingly is even less waterproof than leaky socks. It’s no contest, for me- a leaky waterproof at least means you’ve got the same water all the time, it warms up, whereas no waterproof is like being hosed with a constant supply of new, cold water.

The main things are- don’t just wear the waterproof, the waterproof shell alone is not warm. Some have a lining, others it’s best to wear a warmer sock, merino or similiar under

And the longer the sock the better- the high sealskinz are massively more effective than the short ones. It’s as simple as this, water leaks past the top so the higher the top is the less water gets there to leak in.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Old sealskinz with blue tops – must be 7 or 8 years old, going strong.

alexxx
    Free Member

I used to have the old sealskinz ones (blue band on the top of a black sock) they pretty much filled with water and it was like dragging a paddling pool around with you.

However… the new ones seem much better – as mentioned they have a sealed rim of rubber to hold them up and stop water ingress and the material feels more sock like but certainly still has a slightly funny texture when putting them on… unnoticeable on the trail though

these:

https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/socks/mtb-mid-mid-with-hydrostop-anthracite-leaf-lime

roverpig

Thanks folks. My point of reference is basically a pair of short merino socks under some mesh topped FiveTens ! A few minutes walking through wet grass or a dodgy stream crossing and I’m spending the rest of the ride with sopping wet feet. But I’ve ridden that combo through a few Scottish winters and survived, so anything better is going to be a plus.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wear a pair of merino socks below sealskinz with five 10s, as Alex says, water does get in the top of course, but feet stay warm, so I’m happy with that. Always order a half size up shoes for this reason.

maccruiskeen

I didn’t get on well with sealskins – maybe they’re better now but I found the fit didn’t suit me having big feet meant socks big enough to be comfy were too loose around the ankle so in heavy rain or road spray they just filled up from the top- not just damp – water sloshing around inside the socks. Mine had a merino liner which then held a lot of that water if you tried to wring them out mid-ride.

I’ve ended up using Reid Chill Cheeters instead. Not breathable really but properly waterproof and stretchier for a better fit. They’re longer than most which puts the tops above the spray from your wheels and you get plenty of overlap between longs / knee warmers and the socks . I wear them over a pair of football socks (chosen just because they’re about the same shape so work well as a liner and perform well enough if they get damp) and the result is something thats warm and water / wind proof without too much bulk. It means I can wear them with my regular summer cycling shoes and the wind-proof-ness of the Chill Cheaters deals with the chill coming through the mesh.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have used the merino lined ones for almost a decade now and can’t imagine winter riding without them. There’s no need for a liner with the merino ones, and yes, they do have a great big hole in the top for your leg so they do let in a bit of water but as Northwind says it’s not a constant soaking of new, cold water every time you go through a puddle- the water warms up and stays warm, so even if you are wet you’re comfortable. I use the calf length ones and you do have to go through something deep pretty fast to get water in them.

They don’t feel like a normal sock but they are much better than the really old Porelle ones. The merino ones are quite thick, though- I go up a size on the shoes I wear in winter to stop my feet getting cold.

Northwind

maccruiskeen – Member

I’ve ended up using Reid Chill Cheeters instead.

These sound interesting but I can’t find anything with googling, do you have a link?

alexxx
    Free Member

The new ones really are much better, I hated the old ones so much they just stayed in the back of the cupboard – you can google some sealskins discount codes usually too – think they have a try / return policy as well!

benpinnick

Ive had (and still have) every generation of Porelles/Sealskinz. The latest ones are definitely the best, a long, long way from the originals, but I still have my old ones going strong. Every now and again they come out 🙂

FactoryPhil

Northwind. http://www.chillcheater.com for the Reed socks.

Phil

angeldust
    Free Member

New ones are much, much better….feel much less like wearing plastic bags on your feet, and pretty close to normal socks.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I wear thick merino socks in winter boots.

Not waterproof, but toasty wet or dry which is – in my humble opinion – far more important.

roverpig

Thanks folks. Just ordered a pair of the latest knee length sealskinz from their website:

https://www.sealskinz.com/UK/fbncwd15/mtb-mid-knee-dk-olive-mud-orange

Pretty spendy, but if they keep my feet dry for a Scottish winter or two I dare say I’ll consider it money well spent.

Thanks.

maccruiskeen

I’ve ended up using Reid Chill Cheeters instead.

These sound interesting but I can’t find anything with googling, do you have a link?

Sorry my typo – ”Reed”, not Reid

Its the ‘waterproof wading socks’ that I use

A quick google pops up and STW group test with them in

wilburt
    Free Member

Waterproof socks are hateful things, finally got so disappointed with my sealskins I threw them away on a ride recently and bought some boggo polyester sports socks.

There probably still in a bin somewhere near bury st edmunds have em.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof socks’ is closed to new replies.