Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Waterproof shorts- which ones?
  • hora
    Free Member

Without breaking the bank and ones that genuinely are (or as near as dammit?)

jameso

I have a pair of the Madison WP shorts from a year or 2 back, I’m not sure if they still have them but they’re great, fit is good, lasting well and they’re not expensive.

iwluap

ex-army gore-tex trousers from eBay for £12, cut off at the knee. Cheap as you like, as waterproof as you expect from gore-tex and worth a punt for that cash?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

Altura Attack’s here as they were cheap & no issue with the waterproofness but I only tend to use them in winter, as in 3/4’s format, they’re bloody warm.
    Have had them replaced once due to fault pocket zip, I did use this as an excuse though as I’d worn a small hole in the butt. That was due to the very sandy area I live/ride, which turn to grinding paste on your saddle – I doubted they’d have warrentied it for the hole otherwise.
    Oh IIRC the warrenty is 18 months, which is nice.

IIRC haven’t you already use ex-army trouser cut down? I could never find any cheap in the local army navy stores & didn’t fancy the hassle of messing around try to get some the right size off ebay.

domwells27
    Free Member

Got some Madison tempests recently. Had no problems and keep me dry.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Gore Alp-x are the best in my opinion – completely waterproof, shaped for biking, perfect fit.

But, they aren’t cheap (although I got mind half price in a sale), and I’ve got the girl’s ones so might not be a perfect fit for you 🙂

Bunnyhop

Second the Gore Alp x. Mine were worth every penny. I hardly ever wash them, just brush the dried mud off.

IamSam
    Free Member

Sorry but once again Alp x’s, not cheep but i broke mine and Gore replaced them without a quibble.
    I have previously had Altura ones, they were awful lasted two months. Also went down the cut off ex army path, they were really uncomfortable and the arse went on them at the beginning of a very wet weekend.

You spends your money and all that

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Whats the point in trying to keep part of your legs dry, just wear lycra or cheap baggies and get wet. Keeping your core dry is the most important.

clubber
    Free Member

wet arse leads to saddle sores.

anyway I’ve had no problems with my Alturas.

Garry_Lager

Army cutdowns aren’t bad – I use them for commuting. Very cheap, very waterproof and good fit on the legs. Problem is fit on the waist – they’re overtrousers so there’s no tailoring and they slip down a lot when you move around the saddle on a MTB ride (at least for me – they just have a drawstring on the waist). I’ve been meaning to get a set of braces for them that might sort that issue out.

Altura attack 3/4s that zippy mentions were great for me but they didn’t last. Wore the aris out of them in a year and that’s without using them excessively at all. If there was a re-inforced backside version they would be perfect.

The robustness issue is the real challenge with kecks I think. A garment that is comfy, waterproof and can take a couple of years of hairy-ersed riding on wet British moorland is a tall order. Throw in not too expensive and it’s moon on a stick time.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Whatever you get, watch out for the 2 big holes that your legs poke through….water tends to get up there and then gradually seeps up your liners until you get that wet nappy feeling. IME anyway, they only seem to do the job for a couple of hours max.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I ordered a pair of the Madison Tempests last night after doing a wee bit of research on this-I think they are worth a try considering that the Alp-X’s are about 3times the price. I find the Gore’s a wee bit skinny in the leg too sop hopefully the Madison’s will size up bigger….

I have had Altura Attacks before which were good as-well.

z1ppy

agentdagnamit, not with 3/4 version’s and normal lycra (short) shorts. 3/4 length ones also keep your knee warm, no bad thing for older worn joints.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts- which ones?’ is closed to new replies.