Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Waterproof shorts cheap v work
  • hora
    Free Member

Before I hit order on the Altura Attacks- anything else?

TooTall
    Free Member

Cut off military Goretex trousers.

hora
    Free Member

Do they work though? 34″ comes up generous I imagine?

IHN

I used cut-off waterproof trousers from Aldi for years, I can’t say that the Alturas I now use are much better to be honest, especially when one cost £6 and the other cost £60…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora you know military goretex works you heartily recommended it last year

hora
    Free Member

As a jacket yes- pants though- the military ones would be designed for water coming down onto them not sprayed up into the crotch (I thought).

However….on Sat we rode in a Thunderstorm/constant rain for c4hours. I took off my DPM jacket expecting underneath to be soaked. The top bar where the straps had been was totally dry. ****.

DrP

Hora – I’ve a pair of military gore-tex, cut down and the ‘ankle velcro’ thing re-sewn onto the knee area.
    Best waterproofs ever, and only 8 bean!

DrP

zippykona

I have Alturas which are good but cut off waterproofs do the job. For a tenner its worth a go.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

where do you get these cut off military goretex kecks then?
    i need to get more waterproof shorts. don’t like wearing long trews for riding and my altura attacks need some backup i think…

jam-bo

buy some goretex overtrousers from ebay.

cut them off at the knee.

ta-da!!!

timnwild

Do you wear those over other shorts, or on their own?

I’m just curious.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

hora – Member

Before I hit order on the Altura Attacks…Mine ripped easily, twice, after a couple of very light tumbles. Zip has also ripped down one side and they were never even close to being waterproof.

Garry_Lager

Altura attacks are good but you’ll wear the aris out of them in no time IME.
    Army cutdowns aren’t great either IME as they have no tailoring so you’re basically wearing a set of poorly fitting overshorts. On the plus side, if you luck into a good pair from ebay they will be totally waterproof and v robust. Braces also help the fit issue. And they’re five times cheaper.

The endura ones I have at the moment are the best I’ve used, think they’re the superlites. Only for when it’s really filthy though – they feel too hot and heavy for just general use.

DrP

Lycra shorts underneath….

DrP

mattjg
    Free Member

Over Lycras.

Buy them 1 size up from your regular waist size.

I have 3 pairs, I’m going to keep 1 pair full length, cut a pair to 3/4 and another to above-the-knee. I’ve ridden the full-lengths on one of the wettest days of the summer and they were brill.

johnnystorm

Lidl waterproof trousers cut down and Velcro transplanted. £8 well spent.

soobalias
    Free Member

cut off goretex.

as mentioned above the ‘tailoring’ can be a bit hit and miss, with loads of different styles in circulation.

So if you are fussy, you might go through a couple of sets before you get the ones you want. ive one set that fit nice but have no pockets and one set that are too baggy but have zip pockets.

get yourself to an army surplus stall and handle a couple of sets if you dont want to play the ebay game.

D0NK

If goretex pants are a bit hit and miss has anyone got ebay linkys for the good ones?

mattjg
    Free Member

Think mine came from ‘Guards Army Surplus’ or similar on ebay, I linked it up here once so look thru my history.

They’re not hit and miss at all, I bought 3 pairs all top quality. They’re just 2 bits of Goretex sewn together with elastic at the waist and ankles. No studs no pockets no zips no liners no belt loops no nonsense. Simple, properly waterproof, as breathable as anything ever is, light, and generous fitting because they are designed as over-trousers for soldiers, who need freedom of movement.

Quite why anyone would drop a days wages on over-engineered ‘performance’ wear is beyond me. KISS.

hora
    Free Member

I bought two DPM jackets. One was listed as grade 1 or fantastic- it was worn. Well worn when compared to the next one – brand new condition. The difference in surface etc was markedly different.

The new one, from Ebay- I remember looking closely at the picture after I hit ‘buy now’ and it was photographed ontop of a large Swastika flag (well red flag- oval white centre so I assume).. Seriously WTF!

Aim for new condition if you can IMO.

D0NK

cheers matt/rob
    fwiw I’ve got some attacks, they are lasting pretty well, reinforced arse, pockets for multitool, can’t say I’ve noticed any lack of waterproofness and still in one piece, but then again I don’t crash much, zip has gone on one pocket tho.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

My superlites are pretty good btw

dave65
    Free Member

[http://www.guardsarmygear.com/goretex-trousersjackets-c-3_35.html]

Are the camelbaks any good on that site ?

Cheezpleez

Got some Endura Superlites which are OK. Fairly waterproof and only just starting to go at the crotch after two or three years. They come up fairly small and they’re not much more sophisticated cut-wise than the ones from Guards Army Gear. I’ll be going for cut-offs when the Superlites die.

toons
    Free Member

Some of the camelbaks don’t have any pockets for tubes etc

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s raining down here so in the spirit of money-where-mouth-is I’ve chopped down a pair of the cammos, put some staples in to fit the knee and may well wear them on our ride tonight if it stays wet. Will report back.

Northwind

I heart my Altura Attacks. They do let water up the legs though as they’re open and baggy at the bottom, unless you get the 3/4s or wear them with kneepads which restricts that a lot.

Altura QC seems to be a wee bit erratic sometimes going by other people’s comments on these. I’ve had 3 pairs and they’ve been bulletproof.

One pair I finally wore out after 2 years constant use, the bum’s worn a little thin and isn’t waterproof any more but to put that into perspective- the ride that finally did that to them, also wore completely through the skin in about 20 places over my body too. Very abrasive day out!

I’ve tested them pretty thoroughly in big crashes and they’re probably the most durable shorts I’ve owned.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered some new waterproof PVC DPM British Army pants- I’m sure they aren’t the DPM version (if they are listed as PVC) but we’ll see how they perform..

tomd
    Free Member

I have these:

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=133&prod_id=114

I’ve done around three hundred miles in them. Just wore them for 24 hours straight on the west highland way, so feel like I’ve put them through their paces. Thoughts so far:

+ Good cut in terms of freedom of movement and comfort
    + As comfortable as a normal pair of shorts if worn over lycra
    + Light
    + Reasonably waterproof
    + Keeps the grit out

– The length is a bit awkward, so unless you wear 3/4 lycra underneath (or use anti chafe) the chafing is awful just above the knee.
    – Taping has started to come off in high wear areas.

Overall, I think they’re a decent product. I’m not too worried about the seams, as they will still be waterproof enough.

binners

PVC pants eh? GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Very you!

How about…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqJpvWBQaMU[/video]

😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts cheap v work’ is closed to new replies.