Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • rascal
    Free Member

After some new ones after the zip on my 7 year old Altura ones died the other day.
    What are held in high regard these days? Endura MT500 used to get recommended a fair bit, but Madison and Polaris do versions too. Any deals around at the mo too? Cheers

Tracey

Polaris have £60 off in their boxing day sale. AM Flux £19.99

ThePilot
    Free Member

If you’re a size small I’ve got a pair of BNWT Sweet Protection Mudrides I want to shift. I’m going to stick them in the classifieds now but give me a shout if interested.

dannyh
    Free Member

He’s not a size small, trust me.

Rascal, we had this chat the other day – army surplus goretex overtrousers cut down and a hem stitched if you’re feeling flash.

Nothing else has been as good in my experience. Taped seams are a waste of time on riding shorts as they delaminate in the, ahem, contact area in about 20 minutes.

The army ones have stitching that looks like it is done with baler twine and seems to last ages.

rascal
    Free Member

Tracey – cheers – they sound worth a punt.
    Thanks pilot, but as Danny so nicely put it I haven’t had a small waist for quite a while 😉
    Dan – were we down the pub as can’t remember that chat!?

Think I’ll try the Polaris ones at that price – they’re stuff is normally pretty good.

pothead
    Free Member

Currently have the Endura mt500 and a pair of Madison Zenith DWR, Madison are by far the better of the two, cheaper as well iirc

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheers for the heads up on the polaris .

fed up of my army cut downs getting caught on the nose of my saddle want something more fitted .

dannyh
    Free Member

fed up of my army cut downs getting caught on the nose of my saddle want something more fitted

Ah yes – I forgot to mention that bit!

The main bugbear I have with the army cutdowns is the waist arrangement – the elasticated band is not strong enough to keep them up – a non-elasticated bit of cord is uncomfortable and also difficult to tie tight enough.

Braces?

ogden
    Free Member

Is Polaris stuff any good? I’ve never had any of there stuff before.

Tracey

We have had no problems with the Polaris stuff

trail_rat
    Free Member

polaris have been making kit for longer than most folk have been mtbing ….

went through a rough patch in the late 90s and i dont believe ever got their quality back to previous but its still robust kit.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Whats the sizing like on the polaris stuff? usually go for mediums my waist is 31/32 usually.

dannyh
    Free Member

Tracey – Member

We have had no problems with the Polaris stuff

Posted 8 minutes ago # Report-Post

Is that the royal ‘we’?

BTW – I know what you meant – I just had a bit of a silly moment when I read your post(!)

Tracey

It’s the family of bikers we 😀

We all have some of their kit. The women’s emotion bibs are great for the price, £9.99 at the moment.
    Our daughter has dragged their Axial Pod bike case, £150 in last year’s sale, all over the world and its been first class.

Great to support the locals too

rascal
    Free Member

A few of my mates have bought Polaris kit in the sales and really rate it.

ogden
    Free Member

What are their gloves like for sizing?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Use the army surplus cut offs to fashion belt loops for a webbing belt, and velcro adjusters on the legs.

marksnook
    Free Member

I was going to buy some fox waterproof shorts but have taken a punt on those am flux ones. Thanks for the post! At that price should be all good. Do peoole wear them as over shorts or just them?

Northwind

I’m really a big fan of Altura Attacks- the sizing is odd and the waist adjusters not good but other’n that they’re robust and longlived, and most importantly they don’t need special handling, they just go in the wash. My oldest pair must be 3 or 4 winters old, they’re a bit past it but still working.

But they’re not cheap… I got a pair of Tenns Proteans just recently which were £15 and damn nearly as good, haven’tried them longterm yet but I’m pretty happy

rascal
    Free Member

Marksnook – I always wear them like normal baggies ie liner shorts underneath.

Tracey

As above. Just wear padded liners under mine.

marksnook
    Free Member

Ah Cool, for 20 bucks they have to be worth a try!

mat138l
    Free Member

royal racing do a good pair of waterproof shorts i have been using them over the last month really impressed but hem

rascal
    Free Member

Polaris shorts arrived today.
    Quick under-the-tap rest shows very pleasing water run-off.
    No adjustment on lowers but seem very well made and good fit – especially at 25% RRP 🙂
    Hope to use them this weekend at some point for a proper test.

clevertrevor
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Tenn’s £15 IIRC and 1 year in still going strong.

ogden
    Free Member

All my Polaris gear turned up yesterday, I managed to get 2 pairs of waterproof shorts, 3 pairs of gloves, a jersey and a 10 pack of Velcro strap things for £75 delivered. On first glance it all looks really good, especially for the money.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Tenns here, cheap and effective, can’t fault em.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.