Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • felixdamouse
    Free Member

Can’t anyone recommend a good quality set of waterproof shorts, sick of getting a wet @rse, looking for something for trail and dh riding, no budget as such

martinhutch

Endura MT500 seem to do the job for me.

Northwind

Altura Attacks for me- wore a set out a while back but they lasted years and crashes, no bother. Wouldn’t be without them now

robgclarkson
    Free Member

tried MT500’s and they just didn’t work for me… i still ended up wet through 🙁

my wife has got me Attacks for chirstmas, so we’ll see how they work.

that said, some on here in the past have recommended getting army surplus gore-tex trousers and cutting them down (or not)…

freddyblack
    Free Member

Got altura attack 3/4 length. Good but no belt hoops, just for braces.

HindlePie
    Free Member

Altura Attacks for me. Had them for over a year in all sorts of conditions. Never failed me.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Tried Endura MT500 and ripped them… they are expensive so was gutted.

Then went to Endura Superlites… quite crispy material so quite noisy and stiff. Lasted ok.

Now on Altura Attack… best yet, get a set every other year as that is when they start to fall apart but I ride to 3 times a week through winter and it is pretty crappy conditions here.

gren
    Free Member

MT500 spray 3/4s. Perfect if you want to stop that wet arse. keep your knees a bit warmer than shorts too.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

TLD moto’s. bomb proof

felixdamouse
    Free Member

looks like altura attacks are winning, thanks for all the replies. has anyone tried the mavic stratos h20 range?

rOcKeTdOg

EBay cut down MOD goretex

edward2000
    Free Member

I brought some Tenn Protean shorts off ebay for about 18 quid. People seem to think they are a bargain. Not arrived yet though.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Attacks here too.

gfrew88
    Free Member

The MT500 have been faultless for me i use them all year round in scotland so they see plenty of water. Also check out maddison’s waterproof shorts they come with a lifetime warranty and are usually well priced.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

One of these is cheaper

Endura sinletrack shorts is all you need with one.

felixdamouse
    Free Member

think i’ll side step the mudguard idea but thanks anyway. altura attack will be on the shopping list.

Bucko

Attacks are all I’ve ever tried, had them for 2 years now and they do the job.

A mudguard won’t stop you getting wet through when riding in the rain

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve heard good noises from shops about some of the Madison ones but don’t know anyone who’s had them. Anybody?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the Madison ones, £43 for 3/4 vs £50+ for Alturas (which are good!) was the deal breaker here.. hopefully a good choice.

Tenn seem good for money too but not worn yet as shorter than I prefer..

Simon

I’ve got a pair of Madison Tempest shorts.
    Only ridden in them twice but they kept me dry. Sizing seems quite big, I’m a 32″ waist and I have to do the adjusters right up on my mediums and they still fall down a bit.

sandwicheater

Like the looks of those Tenn Protean, £17 on ebay. Hmmmmmm.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

TLD moto’s. bomb proof

But not waterproof.

TLD are default for me, but switch to Altura Attack’s when it’s soaking wet.

biglee1

ex army goretex for me too, £15ish a pair

digga
    Free Member

felixdamouse – Member
    think i’ll side step the mudguard idea but thanks anyway

I read “DH” in the OP, it’s funny how people who don’t ride DH have no idea why we don’t all fit rear mudguards. (The answer is that there’s precious enough clearance between tyre and seat tube on a big landing as it is – 200mm of travel has to go somewhere.)

FWIW, back to your question, I’ve got some Endura shorts and they really don;t stay waterproof without copious, regular re-proofing and I’ll be trying Altura Attacks next time round.

andybrad

ive got the madison ones. There good and fit well. The materials like your waterproof jacket is made from.

Only issue is i tend to get a muddy wet saddle a lot and its worn through the crotch area. lasted about 8 months from new!

daver27
    Free Member

another vote for the Attacks, brilliant bit of kit and i won’t use anything else when its wet out.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

EBay cut down MOD goretex

+1
    and just replace elastic drawcord at waist with something that doesn’t stretch, so that they stay up. Sorted.

Clobber
    Free Member

when you cut them down, do they fray?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

no

z1ppy

Altura attack 3/4’s for me

cakefacesmallblock

A few wet, muddy rides in my Tempest 3/4 now. So far so good.

stayhigh

Very happy with Endura Venturi 3/4’s, lasted a good 3 years of heavy use without issue. Replaced with the same when they finally gave up the ghost.

I have a pair of cut down surplus gore tex jobs but find them a bit flappy tbh.

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for MT500’s have found them brilliant in the Irish rain!

butcher

I brought some Tenn Protean shorts off ebay for about 18 quid. People seem to think they are a bargain. Not arrived yet though.

I’ve had a few wet rides out in mine now. Definitely a bargain. Not the most tech, breathable of things, but waterproof and decently made.

chrisb57
    Free Member

Just replaced a pair of 3/4 MT500s after 3yrs of use, also am liking The MT500 waterproof shorts too.

iain1775
    Free Member

Attacks 3/4’s here too, 3 years and just starting to wear out, (seam taping falling apart inside)
    They size up large though 34″ you are a medium in attacks whereas the rest of Altura trousers/shorts I would be a large
    About to replace, probably with the same again but I will get the braces too as they slip down when worm with bibs underneath

Review of waterproof shorts in mbuk this month (the one out on Friday), interesting reading compared to the real world experiences above
    Summary of their review (large pinches of salt probably needed)-
    Altura Attack – 3/5 – good waterproof fabric not too hot, but boxy shape flaps around and rides up knee (can’t say I’ve experienced this at all, so basically they suggest they are the best waterproof shorts but the tester didn’t get on with the fit so they get drastically marked down)
    Madison Tempest – 3.5/5 – value award but water beads and eventually soaks in in heavy rain (they mean worst for waterproofness I guess)
    Fox Attack Q4 CW – 3.5/5 – good fit and stylish but sweaty and clammy if not that cold
    Gore Alp X 3.0 – 4/5 – most breathable and waterproof in test, marked down for only having one small mesh pocket
    Scott Trail MTN 10 – 4/5 – good fit again marked down as rear pocket hard to use in mud
    Endura MT500 – 4.5/5 – nice length waterproof breathable, leg draw cords to keep spray out, difficult rear pocket, no cord stopper on drawstring waist (surely that’s a 20p home modification if it’s that important?)

So it seems the most important thing in a pair of waterproof shorts is not that they are waterproof, but pockets!

P20

I’ve been using army trousers cut down. More waterproof than the previous Alturas. Just order some of those Proteans from ebay, got to be worth trying for that money

jimmy

I have the madison’s. Think they’re great but nowt to compare to. Fitted the Crudguard last night and won’t do without it for winter now – some difference that makes.

jimmy

Oh, anyone have a good seller for MoD goretex surplus? Would like a pair for puffer duties.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Puffer this year jimmy? Best of luck mate!

Greg.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.