• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by 14gg.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Waterproof shoes OR overshoes?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have used overshoes for road cycling, but was wondering whether there is any mileage in getting a pair of waterproof shoes for mountain biking or whether over shoes will do the same job. I appreciate that overshoes will not prevent water ingress from underneath the shoe, but I don’t anticipate cycling through streams.

2orangey4crows

Or, a pair of wetsuit socks.

Your feet are going to get wet whatever, you may as well keep them warm. (Based on my experience of winter shoes and ‘waterproof’ sealskinz.)

Garry_Lager

Overshoes are pretty good on the MTB as far as keeping the feet warm and dry. Problem is they tend to be fragile if you’re stepping on rocks etc in the course of a ride – I’ve had several pairs and they’ve all torn eventually round the base (some in just a couple or rides).

They’re cheaper so I’d certainly give them a go. Long term though you’re probably looking at a false economy. How long does a shimano winter boot last – 3 yrs or so IME, costs £100. How many overshoes would you go through in that time – way more than £100 worth I reckon. Plus the normal wear and tear on whatever shoes you’re wearing underneath them.

Just my experience – maybe someone can recommend an awesomely durable overshoe.
    Minor point is that they’re a bit of a faff compared to just sticking a normal shoe on and hitting the trail.

IHN

Proper winter shoe/boot. I did the overshoe faff and after getting some winter boots I wondered why I’d been pi$$ing around for so long.

Stoner
    Free Member

I still fancy getting a pair of these to wear over my waterproof boots to stop water running down my leg into the boot.

http://www.namronuk.com/ankle-seal-single-PD185

druidh
    Free Member

A cut-off rubber glove works just as well and you can get them in a whole range of colours 🙂

flanagaj
    Free Member

Stoner : Those do look just the ticket. Both the overshoes and the waterproof shoes all have lousy seals around the leg and most water gets in that way.

I suspect a pair of these on a waterproof shoe would be the ideal setup, especially, cycling through long wet grass in the summer with shorts on. feet should stay pretty dry

flanagaj
    Free Member

I think I might have a look at the cut off rubber glove option as the dry suit seals are the wrong diameter and will be really baggy over the shoe

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I use a pair of Shimano MT90 Gore-tex boots, with a Berghaus short gaiter over the top when the weather’s attrocious. Keeps most of damp out, until you have to wade through a knee-deep river….

Stoner
    Free Member

and I wanted anno purple 🙁

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I use proper waterproof shoes for both on and off road cycling in the wet/winter. Less phaffage, more effective and probably cheaper in the long run especially for MTBing

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for the boots – never looked back since buying my Lake MX140 boots

If you decide to go down the waterproof boot route, buy them soon, as they tend to be out of stock by the middle of September.
    Everybody has the same idea at once, causing a sales rush, and the manufacturers seem to be pretty poor at estimating stock levels.

flanagaj
    Free Member

For those of you that use boots do you find the cuff on the boot is adequate enough to stop water that runs down your leg entering into the shoe or do they still suffer with that just the same as overshoes do?

dadster21
    Free Member

Have the shimano boots and never had a problem with them (including no water running down into them). Overshoes – great on the road but rubbish off road, particularly when you have to get off and trudge through a swamp!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

For those of you that use boots do you find the cuff on the boot is adequate enough to stop water that runs down your leg entering into the shoe or do they still suffer with that just the same as overshoes do?

Yes and no and maybe. If your socks go over the boot’s “wetsuit” collar and your riding in the pissing rain and floods for hours – your feet still get wet. No question. Thing is they (as in my toes) dont get anywhere near as cold when in shimano’s mw80s. They aint perfect, but short merino socks (short – as in under the collar) in mw80s is really pretty good. Not perfect mind. But good. And a ton less faff than overshoes. And my first pair are still going strong after 4 years.

I just look at it as – for a pissing wet winter ride – what would stop me going out? Proper boots was one of the excuses. Now I’m glad I have them basically.

takisawa2

SealSkinz socks here, under a pair of old Spesh Boots, with Aldi overshoes. Don’t get wet feet, but Winter rides don’t tend to be 4+Hr epics for me. Might get some Endura MT500’s this year.
    Those winter boots featured on here last week looked very good, can’t recall the make.

tomd
    Free Member

I went from overshoes to the Shinano winter boots last winter. I found the boots much better, a real revelation for enjoying cold wet rides. The neoprene cuff keeps most water out, but even if they do get wet inside they stay warm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

GF has spesh defrosters and they are good.

Used to have overshoes (endura) and they were an utter waste of time on the mtn bike. Kept popping off etc.

I used them on the road bike with no issues.

Seal skinz are what you need, at least it keeps the water in there warmer. and if you have 2 pairs it makes day 2 of a wet weekend slightly more bearable

14gg

I”m a firm favourite of the cheap and cheerful approach here. You will pay way over £100 for a pair of MTB specific winter boots, if you ride flats like me just get down to one of the outlet centres outdoor shops where you will pick up a waterproof and thermal walking boot with vibram sole for a fraction of that. Just add sealskins and a pair of short gaitors or the rubber glove seal and you are good for this and the next few winters! Mine have been taking a lot of hammer this summer even!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shoes OR overshoes?’ is closed to new replies.