Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Waterproof shells – winter coats
  • willard

Not bike related (but I guess it could be worn whilst cyclign around town…) …

I’m looking to get a new waterproof shell that I can use for just about everything from dog walking to taking into town and hill walking. I currently use a combination of Gore lightweight goretex for running and light hiking, with ex-army goretex for dog walking and serious rain. I can’t keep using that for heavy rain in town and the Gore stuff is just too light and tight to go over an insulating layer.

I’ve seen some nice stuff from the main players (Norrona, Haglofs, Klattemusen, et al) but I could really do with some recommendations from the real world (well, STW) for a good, relatively long body/arm shell.

spawnofyorkshire

Rab Firewall Jacket
    I got one of these a while back in blue. Good for my long arms, seems pretty waterproof and whilst it’s 3 layer waterproof it feels more in the ballpark of a softshell

doris5000

in STW tradition….

https://www.sportsdirect.com/the-north-face-north-face-stratos-jacket-mens-442006

I’ve been wearing a North Face Stratos which is about to enter it’s 3rd winter of commuting, hiking and town/pub-wearing (ie I have it with me 6 days a week, 40-odd weeks a year). It’s got long enough arms to happily use on the bike (I’m 6ft).

The pit-zips aren’t sealed which is annoying if you’re in a downpour that lasts more than an hour. But other than that I think 85 squid is a pretty good deal (also what I paid, as it happens).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shells – winter coats’ is closed to new replies.