Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Waterproof roadie tops for lanky folks?
  • Bez

Anyone got any top tips for waterproof tops for chaps with long arms and skinnyish torsos?

I think I'm after something pretty much like a Gore Phantom (which is perfect for almost anything except a big downpour) – ie will go over just a minimal base layer and keep the elements at bay but still be comfortable if the weather eases up. Being for roadie use there's no point in layering as there's nowhere to stash a jacket.

There seems to be quite a choice out there so please help steer me towards something with a close fit and long arms… Any tips appreciated.

(FWIW I'm roughly 6'5", 36" or so arms, 39"ish chest – for reference, the original Phantom fits me perfectly in XL, the later Phantom is a little baggy in the same size.)

Cheers

beardie
    Free Member

prob about same sizing as yourself, got a montane (dt entrant) lovely and long (slim fitting), packs up small, doesnt get too hot and its waterproof !

druidh
    Free Member

Long, skinny waterproof? You'll want the Gore Oxygen IV. Lovely jacket, but I can't get one to fit me as I'm more, err, padded….

Try an XL.

TooTall
    Free Member

Pfft – XL and short is easy! XXL and tall isn't. 😡

(or XXXXXL in Italian sizes)

rootes1

I'm 6' 6'' and built like a twiglet… I got a Endura Helium, nice slim fit, long arms and packs up small… And cheaper than gore… Plus got it in a nice bright white… Very fetching

Bez

Cheers for the suggestions. AFAIK Montanes are all thin packable shells which isn't what I'm after (and all the Montanes I've tried on have been very big and flappy). And by the looks of it (correct me if I'm wrong) the Oxygen and Helium are both unlined, and thus I'm guessing not too comfortable with just a dryflo/merino T-shirt underneath? (My Paclite isn't.)

I guess what I'm after is a Rapha Rain Jacket or Endura Stealth, but cheaper. If either was half the price I'd be sorted.

I'm wondering if my best bet is actually to set about the front and arms of my second Phantom with some waterproofing spray, but it seems to risk lousing up a nice jacket if that ends up not performing very well…

Anyone got a DHB Droxford?

rootes1

and Helium are both unlined,

yep unlined, but on bare arms is ok, there is a sort of honey comb in the inner surface that seems to stop it sticking/clinging when wet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof roadie tops for lanky folks?’ is closed to new replies.