Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waterproof overshoes to keep feet dry – do they work?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Several time this year my feet, socks and shoes have got saturated in heavy rain on my commute, the water tends to run down my legs and into my shoes. Not pleasant at the end of the day to put wet shoes back on again, and can’t always get them dried out for the next day. I use Teva links as I prefer flat pedals/shoes. Would a pair of waterproof overshoes help prevent this, keep my feet drier. I’d need something to fit tight around the ankle area to seal against the rain running down my legs and splashes from the front wheel – get a lot of sitting water on the routes I use. Any recommendations?

Oh, and I’m guessing the neoprene type one’s wont be good as won’t they get saturated after a while and soak through?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Probably not and I use a set of dry suit leg seals though marigolds cut up are cheaper if not quite as stealth

deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of pairs of the quilted Gore overshoes, and think they’re brilliant – they definitely do a great job of keeping feet and shoes dry. I’ve only ever worn them with leg warmers, so perhaps they wouldn’t do well with other trousers. Whatever you do, don’t buy Endura ‘waterproof’ overshoes – mine leaked like sieves on the first wet ride. I didn’t have any joy with Sealskinz socks either.

I tend to keep the Gore overshoes on the shoes all the time (unless it’s summer) and after a wet ride leave them in a warm-ish room – they don’t need to be force-dried.

swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve had a few different pairs and none have been that good, and yes water coming in down the top is always a problem.

If it’s really raining, like this morning, then a couple of tesco carrier bags under my Planet X overshoes with my over trousers on top does the trick.

zero-cool
    Free Member

The main problem I’ve found with waterproof boots/shoes (and gloves) is the massive design flaw where there is always going to be a massive hole at one end (where your limb goes in). I’ve found that (my opinion) is to find a shoe that’s comfortable and warm when wet.

It’s different with mountaineering where waterproof trousers/gaiters cancel out the hole at the top.
    For commuting I tend to use overshoes to keep the wind chill down and heat in over my normal road shoes.

Tom KP.

butcher

You can pick up neoprene ones for next to nowt, and they’ll not keep all of the water out if it’s really gushing outside…but they do the job for most conditions, and keep you warm. And of course, you could always add plastic bags as suggested if it gets really bad!

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve come to accept you’re going to get wet feet on days like this. Make sure you get your feet dry and some fresh shoes and socks on at work and a nice mug of coffee. The displeasure of your commute will soon be forgotten or looked back at with a grin of success. Find somewhere to try and dry your shoes but even if you’ve got to put your wet shoes on again at the end of the day it’s only less than ideal for the first few minutes while they warm up. If it’s raining on the way home your feet would soon be just be wet again. If its not raining then be happy it’s not raining 😀

Kahurangi

IF it really is that biblical and I’m still determined to ride to work, I use Endura neoprene overshoes and some Gore Paclite cycling trousers. Keep ones feet perfectly dry and overly toasty. I’ve been briefly submerged up my calves with these before but they kept me dry somehow! The trousers have a good seal around the bottom you can tighten up.

When it’s only moderately pissing down and I haven’t resorted to the car, the overshoes can be done up a bit tighter if you don’t do the zip up all the way. Wet legs, dry feet.

irc

splashes from the front wheel –

Full mudguards and a mudflap on the front pretty much stops front wheel spray. When I commuted all year round mudguards worked for most conditions. Really heavy rain I used neoprene overshoes as well. Never got water going throug on my 50m ride..

growinglad
    Free Member

I have a set of these:

Water will come in over the top, but I use Endura water proof trousers. Keep my feet toasty and dry.

DanW
    Free Member

Endura Road Neoprene here, both on and off road. Don’t get any of the water over the top thing but I use Sportful NoRain tights so perhaps these create a better seal than some other tights I’m not sure (used to used Pearl Izumi Amfibs which sat on top of the overshoe which is likely even more secure). Bone dry feet on or offroad even in a torrential downpour. So good I use thin summer socks all year round but it would appear other experiences may vary 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Amfibs

I was just going to mention these beauties – a built in gaiter, no less. Not sure it works in an extreme downpour like the one that’s just passed but they definitely work in your average rainfall. Obviously they’ll need to sit over your footwear so a high boot is a must but they work and I’m surprised no one else has designed something similar.

I’m also surprised more cyclists don’t use them TBH – probably the best bit of winter kit I own…

Edit : That’s the PI Elite AmFib Bibs BTW. If you’re an XXL or S they’re really cheap at Hewitt’s…

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/11032-pearl-izumi-mens-elite-amfib-cyc-bib-ti

DanW
    Free Member

I was just going to mention these beauties

Unfortunately the Pearl Izumi Amfibs look to be discontinued as there are limited sizes everywhere and my LBS couldn’t order a Medium for me from the distributor 🙁

teasel
    Free Member

I did wonder when I had a look in the summer. Luckily I managed to snatch up a few pairs of mediums. I can thank the gods from the sound of it.

I can’t understand why they’d stop making something so effective. Silly move IMO.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Only combination of things that I have found to work is waterproof socks combined with knee warmers. Waterproof socks on their own are rubbish (I binned my first pair in disgust) but if you pull them up and combine with knee warmers that come over the top then they stop water coming over the top and you have guaranteed dry feet even through torrential rain and big puddles.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have got a shoe dryer at home and i keep a good stash of Metro newspapers in my locker to stuff my 5tens with to dry them out during the day.

If they are proper wet i change the newspaper at lunch or put them in the boiler cupboard.

Seal skins are nice at keeping your feet comfortable even when its soaking.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the replies, I’ll need to look into things further.

Don’t really want to wear waterproof trousers as I’d boil in them.

Can’t put a front mud guard on as I drive halfway and cycle halfway at the moment so wouldn’t get the bike in the back of the car with a fixed guard in place.

Some sort of short waterproof gaiter might be good as a lot of the overshoe things go over the sole of the shoe which will soon get ruined on my flat pedals and walking in them.

Tried waterproof socks and I find they are cold and still get wet inside.

Wet yesterday and wet the day before, my boots are starting to get smelly too from being wet 😐

Kunstler

Probably not and I use a set of dry suit leg seals though marigolds cut up are cheaper if not quite as stealth

I’m going to be purchasing some waterproof, winter boots and I like this idea. Do you have a any particular recommendations?

DickBarton

They do until the water runs down your leg and under the lip of the cuff…then your feet get very wet.

molgrips
    Free Member

For water running down your leg, you have to put waterproof trousers over the top. Obvs.

rone

Anything like the MW81 shimano plus a mini-gaitor.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/rab-neo-shortie-gaiter-b1712102?id_colour=123

that sort of thing, can’t fine my montane version that is perfect for £15.00.

Lake 303s for serious stuff.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Can’t put a front mud guard on as I drive halfway and cycle halfway at the moment so wouldn’t get the bike in the back of the car with a fixed guard in place.

I have a fixed mudguards and also drive halfway. Not sure why you can’t do this just make sure the bars are kept straight.

The best combination for me are full length mudguards and overshoes. The most effective overshoes I’ve bought are Planet X neoprene. If I’m wearing tights then I make sure they go over the overshoes to help stop the water running inside. But with full length mudguards there’s no spray directly onto the overshoe so even if I’m wearing shorts there is minimal water running down my leg and inside the overshoe.

richmars

Overshoes work for me. In the winter they keep my feet warm. They keep my feet dry when I cycle in puddles and light-ish rain. 50 minutes of heavy rain does result in wet feet, but that only happens 2-3 times a year so I can live with that.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Not sure why you can’t do this

Small car so I can only just about get it in with the front wheel off as the fork is right up against the rear hatch, and that’s with the passenger seat moved forward.

MikeWW
    Free Member

These Velotozeare great

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof overshoes to keep feet dry – do they work?’ is closed to new replies.