Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Waterproof long coat – Drizabone?
  • wwaswas

Got a number of waterproof goretex type jackets but fed up getting wet legs when it rains and I don’t want to be putting waterproof trousers on every time I walk the dog. Don’t want anything too insulated as I’ll wear layers as necessary.

So I’m looking for a below the knee (I wear knee length walking boots) waterproof coat that’s hard wearing, reproofable and will dry between a lunchtime and evening dog walk.

Suggestions?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Whilst Driazabone jkts do look like they’d do the job they’ll also make you look like the sort of Land Rover/bushcraft enthusiast with whom the police would like a word.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An Aussie drover’s coat is great for two things;
    Standing around in the rain.
    Riding a horse in the rain.

Rubbish for anything else!

Use an umbrella. 🙂

wwaswas

I want to keep my legs dry walking in the woods, not my head 🙂

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Drizabone are about as breathable as a bin bag. If you walk even slightly briskly you’ll get a sweaty back. Sold mine sharpish.

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at Helly Hansen workwear. eg Voss coat. http://www.hhworkwear.com/PRODUCTS/VOSS-COAT
    or a hi-vis version. http://www.hhworkwear.com/PRODUCTS/NARVIK-COAT

mrmoofo

Drizabone look cool – I have two ..
    But they are as sweat as f*** when it is wet
    And cold when it not

RustySpanner

Wax cotton jacket.
    Great for actually doing things in – walking kids/dogs, crawling about under cars in the muck.

Classless, looks anonymous unless you live in a city and just dress up like Brian Aldridge to walk the lab at weekends.

Look better the worse you treat them.

Barbour if you intend to keep it, Dickies Work Wear if you’re happy to change it every few years.

You can get them in different lengths, I’m a dwaff so easy to find one that keeps my legs dry.
    🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Look better the worse you treat them.
    Barbour if you intend to keep it,

I own a 30+ year old Barbour Burleigh (full length coat). It’s ace! It’s as breathable as my drover’s coat, though!

RustySpanner

🙂 Good guide to the various trad types of Barbour
    here..

Came in useful when buying the stepdaughter’s jacket*, I’ve got a cheap one for now!

Not all are made in the UK these days sadly.
    If they are, it will say either on/near the main label or in the pocket.

* She lives in the city and dresses up like Jennifer Aldridge at weekends to walk the dogs.
    It’s not what we would have wanted for her, obviously, but you try and love them all the same.

jamj1974

It’s not what we would have wanted for her, obviously, but you try and love them all the same.

😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof long coat – Drizabone?’ is closed to new replies.