Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Waterproof jackets cut for skinny people (non-biking)
  • stevious

Looking at getting a new waterproof in the New Year for bits of hillwalking, skiing and working outdoors with groups of kids. Looking for something pretty robust so no Paclite or eVent stuff.

I tried on most of the jackets in my local Tiso and most of them seem to be cut very generously, which being a skinny fellow means they look stupid and they’re not as good at keeping you warm. Only one that fit well was an eye-wateringly expensive Haglofs jacket.

Are there any other brands that are known to be on the slim side with their cut so I can shop around a bit? Would quite like my jacket to cost less than a bike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MY berghaus did ok but it is pretty old now and I am not sure about new ones

superstu
    Free Member

I find Berghaus and Helly Hanson bith cut well for me (6’2 and skinny)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Mammut are skinny cut, but of you think Haglofs are expensive….

Montane are also snug, well made and much more reasonable on price.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I find the small montane not small enough and yet to see any xs in the shops
    Guess it depends how many layers you want under it

jimjam
    Free Member

Salomon are a very narrow cut. Most manufacturers have different cuts for different applications, so anything aimed at fell running or similar should be very neat.

finbar
    Free Member

Dale of Norway.

GavinB

Best, slim fitting stuff I’ve found is Arc’Teryx, Patagonia and RAB. Typically, it has to be stuff that is cut for climbing or winter mountaineering, as then they take account you will most likely be wearing a harness and needing to access gear off the harness. Worst fitting jackets for me have been North Face – just garbage.

Most ‘hill walking’ gear sold in the UK is made for people to wear whilst walking their dogs, or so it seems if you have a waistline under 40″ 🙂

honourablegeorge

Loads of Haglofs jackets on Sport Pursuit right now, price might be better

BadlyWiredDog

Mountain Equipment’s alpine and active cut shells – the latter in particular – are really slim cut and their own-brand DriLite fabric isn’t mad expensive. Arc’teryx tends to be slim in the body and broad in the shoulders and is mad expensive. Top-end Berghaus technical stuff – usually the Mtn.Haus designed kit, is really trim as well though their normal cut is quite generous.

I’d maybe be looking in the sales and on the likes of Sport Pursuit.

Montane’s cut, fwiw, has gone a bit weird in recent years. It used to be very trim, but the most recent shells I’ve seen have been quite oddly oversized. Dunno what’s happened there.

sas
    Free Member

I’ve got the same problem. You could try some women’s jackets though I found they were too narrow at the shoulders.

warns74
    Free Member

Second vote for RAB, especially their climbing stuff.

dragon
    Free Member

Another vote for RAB for cut. Not quite sure how robust their stuff is though, my shell seems pretty flimsy, not had any problems with it so far, but then it hardly ever gets used. Plus RAB do mostly use eVent which the OP said he didn’t want.

stevious

Thanks for the ideas everyone. And I will be avoiding Rab and Montane stuff due to their use of eVent. My current waterproof is a Montane eVent one and it’s both flimsy and baggy – both things I want to avoid!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jackets cut for skinny people (non-biking)’ is closed to new replies.