Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Waterproof jackets
  • marco
    Free Member

Ok guys
    Would like some feedback on waterproof jackets your using?
    I have a budget of around £100? and need something totally waterproof, breathable and durable. Not bothered too much about packability as will use this as my main jacket.
    Have looked at the Altura Mayhem (like the green colour!) but not sure if its totally waterproof.
    Look forward to your views
    Cheers

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Anything goretex or event will do the job

crikey
    Free Member

need something totally waterproof, breathable

Lower your expectations a wee bit, if it’s totally waterproof, it won’t breath, if it’s totally breathable it won’t be waterproof.

Sorry, but the future is a way off..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mayhem is waterproof – well Altura say so.

richmtbguru
    Free Member

£100 is just not enough for a descent waterproof jacket, look to spend between the 2-3hundred pound mark, also look for good brands such as gore, berghaus, even endura do good jackets.
    A good jacket is worth every penny spent!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rich, see above. Just over the £100 bracket and all you might need in a jacket.
    Waterproof? Yep
    Breathable? Hell yeah, it’s event
    Well made? Yep
    Right features? Yep. Simple chest pocket and good pit zips

So, you can happily get a very good jacket for that money.

roverpig

Paramo seems to divide opinion. Some people don’t seem to get on with it, but for those who do (like me) it is fantastic. Nothing waterproof will stop you getting sweaty if you work hard, but Paramo is the only jacket I’ve tried that can move that sweat back out again when you slow down a bit so you don’t just boil in the bag. They also sell of seconds via ebay, which might get them under your £100 ceiling.

Cheers,

Andy

neiloxford
    Free Member

Rab Stretch Neo Jacket made from Neoshell – Highly recommended, I find I wear it if the forecast only says it might rain as I find it that breathable…honestly save a little bit more and get one !

drlex
    Free Member

Very, very good indeed.

I ordered this when CFH last posted it; alas, got a “no stock- cancelling your order” email a day or two later. Sad panda face.
    (Bought a GE “Flash Gordon” instead.)

rockymerlin
    Free Member

I was looking at the altura mayhem jacket in an evans store.

A staff member interupted my searching, he wanted to show me how the hood zipped off,, however he ripped the jacket around the attachments.

It totally put me off the jacket, good price but poor quality/ build and i don’t think it would last two minutes.

crazy-legs

For the money, this is a good bet:
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=122&prod_id=128

It does the job but if you want something totally waterproof and totally breathable, you’ll have to triple that price and go for this:
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=122&prod_id=354

Rapha do a brilliant heavy duty full waterproof (their Hardshell Jacket) but it’s £240. They have a lighter, more packable Rain Jacket at £190.

Personally, I’ve tried all sorts of waterproof jackets and I’ve settled on just using lightweight shell jackets as all the heavy duty ones are just too hot. Accept that you’ll probably get a bit wet but if you can stay warm (decent base/mid layers), it’s fine.

yoshimi

I got the bonty one following CFH advice and very nice it is too:) breathable, waterproof, simple and packable

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve got a Altura react jacket which fits really good.
    Only trouble I have with jackets is although they are waterproof they still get soaked on the inside.
    So windproof is better than waterproof IMO

mauronappolini
    Free Member

Have a look at the Montane Photon jacket or the Minimus which is the same with the addition of the hood. Ive found the Photon to be plenty waterproof and breathable during road riding. Plus they are both crazy light and packable.

marco
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    Like the Bontrager one!!
    Wish my budget was more but will have to stay about £100
    Thanks everyone

robbonzo
    Free Member

Have a look at the Endura MTR emergency Shell. 85 quid and seems to be just the ticket if you like the whole minimalist thing. Im going to get one.

leffeboy

A staff member interupted my searching, he wanted to show me how the hood zipped off,, however he ripped the jacket around the attachments.

Altura jackets and zips is never a good combination

tracknicko
    Free Member

i had a look at the mtr in 18 bikes. pucka racefit rain stopper.

doens’t look like a warm one though, just a proper active shell.

think 18 were doing it for a good price too, give then a shout.

spacemonkey

My current preference for really sh1t conditions is: decent baselayer + Gore Windstopper 2 + Paramor Aspira. Mid layer can be removed or avoided altogether for better conditions. Aspira is way out of your budget unless you get lucky via eBay etc.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Paramo Aspira + 1 – keep an eye on ebay. I din’t think it could be as good as people said, til I tried one 🙂

But as above – guess you love ’em or hate ’em.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prepare for some disappointment, even a nice jacket isn’t going to be very breathable if it’s waterproof and it will get worse after it’s first wash even if you’re careful and re-proof.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Wet weather gear is personal but I’m of the school where I run a windstopper jacket and then put on a light shell over that when the heavens open. I’ve tried eVent (Gill) and it’s good but not genuinely breathable, not if you are working hard.

This came out well in a recent C+ test
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-oneten–pioggia-jacket-12-46563

also look at the Gore Active Shell range.

BadlyWiredDog

Paramo Aspira + 1 – keep an eye on ebay. I din’t think it could be as good as people said, til I tried one

Weighs a ton, cut like a sack, ideal for larger persons. For biking, do yourself a favour and look at a Velez or Velez Light instead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    not genuinely breathable, not if you are working hard.

Is anything?

tonyd

I have a Paramo Velez and love it. Especially now we’re into the cooler weather – if you’re warm blooded be warned! I struggle with mine in spring/autumn, needs to be proper chilly.

soobalias
    Free Member

i bought a montane photon, never seen anything so much like a black plastic bin bag, tried it on, sent it back

might be great as a waterproof shell that packs away small, but for a ‘main jacket’ it was horrible feeling/looking

stevemorg2

My Paramo Quito works well on a bike (I’ve got a Velez for winter as well) – slimmer fit than the Paramo smocks and plenty of options to vent – ebay often has some decent deals: I’ve seen them for @£120 on the Paramo 2nds/Xtras site

jedi

im waiting for my scott paclite to arrive. will post up what its like 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

better off with a lightweight soft-shell and/or a thin pertex type jacket over the top. i have a nice e-vent bike jacket but it’s not as versatile as a soft-shell or as breathable, i hardly wear it, if it’s torrential and i have to ride i’m more likely to wear my walking e-vent jacket with a hood over the helmet.

chiefP
    Free Member

I have a Endura Stealth Waterproof Jacket for sale 😀

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=123&prod_id=141

BadlyWiredDog

reggiegasket – Member

Is anything?

No fabric is going to stop you sweating or getting warm. The trouble with mountain biking is you go anaerobic repeatedly which kicks your body temperature through the roof, ime road riding is a bit more steady, which means it’s demanding on clothing, but breathability or whatever you want to call MVT (Moisture Vapour Transfer) isn’t an absolute, it’s a sliding scale, so talking about ‘genuine breathability’ is a bit misleading.

The stuff I’ve used that I’d say is at the top end of the breathability scale is Gore-Tex Active Shell, eVent and NeoShell plus Paramo in colder conditions. Windstopper fabric is effectively waterproof too and slightly more breathable again compared to most fully waterproof fabrics, but not taped, so lets water in at the seams in heavy rain, eventually.

Also, everyone works differently, some folk run hot, some don’t. For me Paramo is a freezing and below fabric even with venting, but some people run cool and ride steady and can use it happily in milder conditions. And if you run really hot, nothing will cope though a more breathable fabric will allow you to dry out faster when you do stop.

I’ve seen Paramo stuff visibly steaming at low temperatures on winter night rides. Ditto eVent. So how’s that not ‘genuinely breathable’? 😉

nick1962
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

reggiegasket – Member

Is anything?
    Human skin!

soobalias – Member

i bought a montane photon, never seen anything so much like a black plastic bin bag, tried it on, sent it back

might be great as a waterproof shell that packs away small, but for a ‘main jacket’ it was horrible feeling/looking
    Not exactly exhaustive road testing then! 🙂

+1 Montane Photon but it only really ticks 2 of your 3 boxes as it is very thin material and prob.not as durable as a hard shell but is so light and packable it’s worth it IMHO.

Exceptionally high fabric breathability at 25,000 MVTR and a 20,000mm hydrostatic head

The legal definition of waterproof is 1000m hydrostatic head so I believe.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My Paramo Quito is hotter than the sun, if it’s freezing and I’m wearing a thin tee then I can just about get away with it.

Lummox

paramo paramo paramo

Yeh the aesthetics are a bit low tech, but

If you rip it stitch it up and it works as well as it did before

it moves the moisture that will build up out wards

Brilliant at being waterproof, when it stops beading pop it in the wash and good as new.

I wish i’d found it sooner, used Altura attack, endura, rab all ok but end up being cold and clammy. The altura gets a special mention for now refusing to bead water no matter that it’s been re proofed properly and the zips busting under the arm, despite the jacket being lightly used for about 6 months a few winters back.

matt_outandabout

Paramo, every time… (apart from a really warm summery day, and then a Pertex top/Montane softshell..)

rOcKeTdOg

Mayhems are £80 from PBK atm

godzilla
    Free Member

^ whats PBK ^

Edit – Sorted, new jacket on the way 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

BWD – so when it’s raining, and I’m riding fairly hard (road riding or mtb climbing) nothing will keep me dry?

Paramo users – what are they like in the above scenario…when it’s not freezing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jackets’ is closed to new replies.