Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Waterproof jacket for mountain biking
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I want a new waterproof jacket and would like suggestions of what works please?

Trekster

Depends how dep your pockets are really 😯

Gore bike wear stuff tends to be the top stw choice
    Endura but tends to suffer from quality issues apparently
    Altura?
    Looking at the Madison stuff last night
    I also like/use Montane
    Rab do some nice stuff as do North Face

iainc

I got a cracking Altura Attack 2 yrs ago – not worn it much and noticed last night that the taping is coming off inside all over the place -(

too old to send back, but it’s probably been worn 15 times and washed 7 0r 8, all as per mfr’s instrcutions – Gore for me next time..

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies but I’m really after personal recommendations – i.e. a waterproof jacket that you use and really rate.

z1ppy

Depends how dep your pockets are really +1

Branded waterproof material: Goretex or eVent (eVent supposedly the better) is simply more expensive
    Non branded material is cheaper.. supposedly some are even generic goretex (not allowed to use the name)

Personnally the best jacket I used last winter was a cheap Decathlon softshell walking jacket, with “pit zips”, as these are essential to MTB IMHO. A better quality softshell with pit zips would be on my shopping list.

EDIT: I was still typing, when you posted the above…

iainc

but I’m really after personal recommendations – i.e. a waterproof jacket that you use and really rate.

ok, not Altura Attack then 😆

but, I do have an Endura Stealth and really rate it

tomaso
    Free Member

I’n a big fan of the pit zip, as moisture management is always an issue for me as I ‘run hot’ aka I’m a sweaty git :mrgreen:

z1ppy

LOL my Altura Attack is ace, kept me drier than both my m8’s on last weeks soaking BUT as above you still get wet with sweat inside it…
    Very annoying as the previous years version (before wiggle bought the brand) had pitzips as CPF and I have bemoaned previously

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

whatever happened to Sympatex? This was bigger in europe than goretex, I believe

RicB

My eVent jacket has been great (not sure which brand, Gill I think) BUT having tried eVent, Goretex, Goretex Paclite, Paramo etc I think waterproof jackets can either a) breathe and keep you dry inside or b) keep the majority of the rain off. They can’t do both so if it’s raining and you’re working hard you’ll be wet inside.

Paramo got closest but is too fragile and hot for autumn use.

I think a decent windproof/water resistant softshell with a cheap (Montane?) waterproof shell in your pack is probably the best way to go.

Trekster

tomaso – Member
    Thanks for the replies but I’m really after personal recommendations – i.e. a waterproof jacket that you use and really rate.

Montane Velocity now 3yrs old, full of holes from various skirmishes but may fav from over 20yrs biking. £50 sale price 😆
    If I had deep pockets I would buy this http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/air-jacket/414
    Shop in Ambleside has the occasional ex warehouse discount offers 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have a stealth – its only really wearable for about 4 months of the year, as its just too hot once the wind/cold stops before/after winter….

its a great jacket for windproof, really is, all you will need is a baselayer underneath and that should be plenty in the most horrid of conditions…..
    HOWEVER….

mine doesnt bead the water any more, and it does soak through if you ride in heavy rain for a prolonged period…..i then became cold due to this 🙁

i think mine beaded the water for about 2 rides then started to go in the material……i was sure even if it was not beading it would not get through – but it did…..

ive tried washing with grangers and nikwax and i cant get it to bead again 🙁

really gutting!

timnwild

I actually like my Altura Attack. It’s been tumbled on loads of times, gone through thorn bushes etc. And while it’s now starting to fail (dodgy zip, a few bramble holes etc) I’ve never been cold, hot or wet in it, and it’s really light.

Bikerat
    Free Member

Ive had an Endura Flyte for almost two years now, its still waterproof and Very breathable, packs down small for your rucksack and its showing almost no signs of wear, even after a few crashes. Shop around and you should be able to get it for less than the £100rrp. I would definately buy again.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another vote for the Endura Flyte here. The Endura MT500 also a great jacket, fitted me well but felt like it was too much jacket for riding (if that makes sense).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i had an orange altura attack too – thought it was pants, too baggy and absolutly roasting even though its thinnish material…sold it after about a month……

MrKmkII
    Free Member

worn 15 times and washed 7 0r 8

really, that often 😯 I’m yet to wash mine after a year!

anyway, i can see the OP doesn’t like this chat, so. i had a gore waterproof jacket for years and i ‘rate’ it. my current altura ergo reflex is not particularly great at wicking away sweat, so i wouldn’t rate that.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i had an orange altura attack too – thought it was pants, too baggy and absolutly roasting even though its thinnish material…sold it after about a month……

currently running a altura pocket rocket, which is pretty much brilliant for rain, keeps the wind off, doesnt let water in mega rainy conditions, and doesnt heat up too much, packs away in a apple sized bag….

for when its just cold im thinking of just getting a windproof jacket on its own, and in case of rain keeping the pocket rocket with me, which i do anyways…

skin
    Free Member

I had an Endura Stealth until it literally fell apart. I contacted Endura and felt fully let down by their reply.

I will no longer be buying their products and will always go elsewhere to purchase clothing.

Oh and by the way 3 other people I know who own a Stealth are experiencing similar problems. I would not consider buying one if you want it to last more than a season of riding.

Raymond

After getting soaked either through sweat in cheap waterproof jackets or rain in windstopper I’ve taken out a mortgage and got one of the new Gore active shell jackets:

Gore Fusion AS

It works really well, very light so you can take it off if you get too hot, waterproof and breathes as well as windstopper. Just hoping I don’t crash and put a hole in it though.

iainc

My Altura Attack is Orange – maybe it’s only those ones that fall apart !

as for the washing – well I tend to wear it only when it’s wet and manky, so it ends up sweaty, covered in dirt and mud most rides.

I also find the Stealth quite warm, so on likes of tonight, when it will be wet form above and below, and around 8-10 degrees, I like a base layer and shell.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does anybody else still get their stealth beading water off after useage? and after using grangers etc? or is it just mine that has failed with that?

Sanny
    Free Member

I’ve tried lots of jackets over the years and came to the conclusion that most jackets are a bit of a compromise. I now use a Rab Momentum eVent jacket with a proper hood that goes over a helmet when the weather turns. It’s light and a great cut for cycling. It breathes better than anything made by Gore that I have used. I had a Haglofs LiM Ultimate. It was a very good jacket but the face and inner fabric separated. To be fair, it was replaced under warranty but having now used the Rab for over a year, it is my first choice jacket.

Sanny

nuke

worn 15 times and washed 7 0r 8

really, that often I’m yet to wash mine after a year!

Bought a Altura Nevis in July 2007…not washed it yet 8)

Only ever use it in the real mud and wet so can’t really see any point washing it as it’ll be filthy after 15mins of riding

chakaping
    Free Member

Montane Superfly eVent jacket here, had it about four years and only just had to re-proof it this year.

I run hot-ish and find it bearable most of the year, maybe a bit hot in summer but then I’ll often prefer to just get wet anyway.

If buying again I would see if Montane did something a bit simpler in eVent.

RicB

Just checked the prices for a Gore Active Shell – ouch! Presume that’s their version of eVent?

tomaso
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – leaning towards something made of eVent

Just back from a damp splash around Gisburn and it was plenty wet but mild enough not to worry about it :mrgreen:

johnhe

I have an Endura Crosslite which I think is fantastic. Very breathable and very waterproof.

saxabar
    Free Member

I have a Mountain Equipment jacket [Changabang/Goretex XCR] bought second hand from here. Does the job perfectly and hasn’t torn/split yet. At a push it stuffs into my [small] bag when it gets a bit warm (although it has huge pit zips). I’m dubious of any claims to breathable materials. I’d be thinking more in terms of packability and waterproofing capacity.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Presume that’s their version of eVent?

that’ll be paclite.

trouble with these expensive but fragile jackets is that a bad fall or even a trip into the brambles could tear them.

I have a race face atlas from years ago (from Nirvana) which was excellent – just a shell of some material with reinforced elbows and shoulders and pit zips – only about £50. Would wear it through the winter in the rain and cold with just a HH lifa on – a combo that would cover 3 seasons usage.

Wish I had had the forsight to stock up on them – more recent Atlases were either cheap shiny material or a thicker ‘All-mountain’ version that was only suitable for cold winter days.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jacket for mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.