• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Waterproof Jacket for hot climates?
  • tootallpaul

I will be needing a decent waterproof soon- but it needs to be able to cope with hot and wet) climates… for Africa at altitude would be the best description.

Any advice/reccommendations?

Not after a biking specific one- it needs to be multi-purposed…

Cheers

Paul

trailmonkey

not being pedantic, just confused. if you're at altitude, isn't the climate going to be cool ? and if it is really hot, will you be better off without a waterproof in terms of staying cool.

tootallpaul

I've been reccommended to take a waterproof.

Just looking for the most breathable option really, with good venting.

Bez

tootallpaul

Here's a good description…

Woyina Dega (Temperate Zone)-Areas between 1,500 m (4,920 ft) and 2,600 m (8,530ft) where temperatures range from 16 degrees Celsius to 30 degrees Celsius. This is where most of the population lives.

tootallpaul

A good idea Bez!

nickc

Anything, it won't matter. You'll sweat buckets with a waterproff on at 30degs, won't matter whether it's event or goretex or whatever.

tootallpaul

Ah. Ok then. I'll get my coat. Or not.

😆

Hairychested
    Free Member

Pertex windproof, I have a Nike one and it does a splendid job.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a Goretex paclite jacket, it is biking specific, but it really is boil in the bag even at 15degrees

BadlyWiredDog

Something eVent with lots of venting – is it for riding or trekking? Or both? Rab stuff is good, but you will broil at higher temperatures regardless.

tootallpaul

Cheers BWD…

Mainly trekking- but also day to day wear as well.

I guess if the temperature goes up the jacket will go in the bag…

Will go look at the Rab stuff.

Paul

iDave
    Free Member

look at montane, i used their stuff in mongolia, similar climate it seems. showerproof was fine – packs super small

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this 'Woyina Dega' in Ethiopia ? ………….. And it rains a lot ?

……….that Bob Geldof really is full of shit

😐

tootallpaul

It is… its an altitude thing.

The reason Ethiopia struggled so much with the drought was they weren't used to it. Its usually a very lush and green country…

Except the Danakil Depression. Thats the hottest place on earth…

😯

tang
    Free Member

get a good hat, wide brimmed and waterproof (tilley spring to mind). and poss a poncho that is loose but keeps it off in a deluge. this is what we used in Oz as thats what the locals we were living with used, it was hot and wet.

jonb
    Free Member

I'd suggest a pertex windproof as well. Montane a superb light weight range and they were on sale at field and trek recently.

They don't keep you bone dry but they will be good enough as they will keep you warm which is important.

I have the Montane velo which I use on the road year round because even in winter I get too sweaty in a full waterproof. They have a walking one. They pack down to the size of an apple as well which is nice.

jonb
    Free Member

I'd suggest a pertex windproof as well. Montane a superb light weight range and they were on sale at field and trek recently.

They don't keep you bone dry but they will be good enough as they will keep you warm which is important.

I have the Montane velo which I use on the road year round because even in winter I get too sweaty in a full waterproof. They have a walking one. They pack down to the size of an apple as well which is nice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Jacket for hot climates?’ is closed to new replies.