Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Waterproof Jacket – expensive Goretex or cheap with pit vents? experiences?
  • yoshimi

After a new one, but I’m sweaty!

Now got a Berghaus Goretex Paclite with no vents and its get very humid in there very quick.

Started to think some sort of cheap Madison type thing with pit vents at £50-60 is better than blowing twice that or more on another fancy one.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

THanks

tomd
    Free Member

I’m also fairly sweaty. I bought an Endura venturi last winter and it’s been good. It has vents on the arm and underarm so it works with a rucksack. I’ve used it on lots of rides this summer and the ventilation options combined with very breathable fabric mean I’ve been wearing it much more than I thought I would.

starfanglednutter
    Free Member

Wife bought me a Madison Telegraphe (or whatever it was called then) a couple of years ago and it’s been great – very well vented. Only jacket I’ve never really had condensation issues with. Far too warm for summer though, and no roll-away hood for off-bike activities. Pak-A-Mac for summer rain.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I always find good breathability is less about not sweating up in the first place, IMO it’s inevitable with all jackets, it’s very much how quickly they dry out afterwards. The Gore activ-shells steam up with the rest of them but if you get a decent descent or a flat section where you can ease off they dry right out, not so on cheaper jackets which stay sweaty for the whole ride.

Also, check your other layers, general rule is that you’re only as breathable as your least breathable layer. So an expensive, breathable jacket with a crap sweaty base layer will only breathe as well as the base layer.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

How about eVent AND great pit zips?

I’ve got one of these and it’s awesome:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/140823298582?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, eVent and zips FTW!

Bontrager Packable Stormshell for me.

z1ppy

eVent with pit zips would be the money no object option for me, Altura have a great looking jacket that fits that bill.

Last couple of winters I’ve been using a cheap & cheerful Decathlon walkers Softshell with pit zips, it has surpassed all expectations, not at all sweaty due to the pit zip but a tad too thick for anything but late autumn/winter/early spring. Its sold the idea of pitzips to me as a necessity not a luxury

Capt how ‘packable’ is that jacket? Just out of interest.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ve tried loads of waterproof jackets …I’m also quite sweaty….they all work for the first 10 mins ..then if it’s stil raining it’s just as wet inside as out …

I now just use a pertex wind proof ….much smaller.. if it’s wet it works as a water resistant jacket but I don’t get cold ..
    Plus a fair bit cheaper …..

Not sure if that answered your Q …or I’m just rambling on !!!

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve tried just about every waterproof there is on the market, from cheap boil in the bag flouro green things through to £100 paclite jackets, and £100+ waterproof and breathable things.

I’ve got a wardrobe full.

The latest and so far best thing I’ve tried in 25 years of wet riding is the Castelli Gabba jersey. It’s like a jersey, close fitting and stretchy, but keeps the rain out for long enough to be worth it. I bought the long sleeve version from a chap on here, but have yet to try it out in anger. The short sleeve version is the best thing yet for wet days through the ‘summer’, the only downside is the way the pockets collect gritty water.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I rode penmachno yesterday in the rain. It rained all the way around. I wore a lightweight waterproof with pit vents (Jack wolfskin). I was surprised to find that my cycle top was as dry as a bone when I took the jacket off back at the car. Another good thing, is that it is quite long and elasticated at the back to cover your arse so spray from the back wheel is less of an issue. It has 3 external pockets at the back for tools, drink food etc. I think its great.

yoshimi

I do like the look of the bonty one- I’ve got a gore phantom for winter which I love so it’s really a lightweight thing I’m after that can get screwed up and thrown in my pack – I’ve thought about the very thin showerproof ones but that keep you dry (sort of) but really want a complete waterproof, the sort of thing that’ll stop you soaking to the bone when you’re still a few hours from the car…..decisions decisions!

Those altura attack ones look ok as merlin are doing them with 20% off but as I’ve not had one in my hands I worry about how bulky they are- that’s leading back to the bonty one, need to measure my chest, I’m wondering if I can get in the medium one from the link above.

Some good replied here guys, much appreciated 🙂

yoshimi

What model of jack wolfskin do you have theendisnigh?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

zippy, it’s small enough to squeeze in to the front pouch of my Raptor 18, which is small enough for me! Pretty good all round.

yoshimi

Just measured, I’m 42″ chest, too big for that medium in the link, prob nip to Merlin at lunch and check out those altura ones now

theendisnigh
    Free Member

It doesn’t have a model name. A mate gave it to me. He bought it second hand of Ebay and it didn’t fit him. Its brilliant. Super water proof, really light but great vents. I expected my top to be wet from sweat, but it was totally dry. I reckon any waterproof with vents will do the same job.

matt_outandabout

Now got a Berghaus Goretex Paclite

That is your problem right there. Paclite IME was pretty poor – kept rain out, but not very breathable.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

anything endura; in 15 year i have had just two jackets.

the first was a pull on and i rode it in everything from sunshine to one night back from shiftwork at 2 am in a blizzard. it started to delaminate on the inside hence goodbye sadly

they all get wet on the inisde, its a big bag with you pumping sweat into it, what matters is keeping it all warm; merino or merino/possum jeresey mix is the secret. nz links coming out here!

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

anything endura; in 15 year i have had just two jackets.

the first was a pull on and i rode it in everything from sunshine to one night back from shiftwork at 2 am in a blizzard. it started to delaminate on the inside hence goodbye sadly

they all get wet on the inisde, its a big bag with you pumping sweat into it, what matters is keeping it all warm; merino or merino/possum jeresey mix is the secret. nz links coming out here!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Jacket – expensive Goretex or cheap with pit vents? experiences?’ is closed to new replies.