Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • waterproof hydration pack
  • mangoridebike

Hi

I've just moved to the west coast of scotland and have realised pretty quickly that the old backpak that I've been using is not as water proof as I though it was.

Are things like Camelpaks really waterproof? Any one got any good recommendations? Something that holds about 10 liters, a 2-3 litre bladder and some external pockets would be good.

Cheers

mangoridebike

bump

geoffj

Depends how waterproof you need it to be. I have a 30l one (Hoss) which has a roll down lid which is suppposed to be waterproof. My mayhem has a seal on the top compartment zip to keep water away from mp3, phone etc.

The safest option is t use a dry bag inside though. Alpkit do some cheap ones.

cp

you can get waterproof covers for rucksacks as well

Christowkid
    Free Member

I've got a camelbak Mule and bought a camelbak waterproof cover. It's bright yellow, has velcro straps to go round the bak's straps and the whole thing has a cord around to seal it around the entire mule. Keeps the contents dry, and when/if required a blast of Fabsil returns it to its' waterproof state.
    I'm happy with that.
    Q

Bimbler
    Free Member

The Deuter Race EXP air (maybe other Deuter models?) has a built in rain cover in a zipped pocket

IamSam
    Free Member

Gourdon from alpkit the smaller one 20l is great but out of stock at the moment. I have been using one the last year commuting everyday plus ridding for fun in the evening and at the weekends. Cannot recommend them enough they are great and proper good value for money

Love alpkits stuff

Sam

stumpy01

Most Vaude rucsacks come with waterproof covers built into the bottom of them.

nickc

Is it the biggest con of the century that packs are still not actually waterproof in any real sense of the word? all that money, and wait "Oh, it's not actually waterproof? I have to buy an extra bit of kit for that?" of course…

soobalias
    Free Member

not really a con nick,
    if you want a waterproof jacket, you need taped seams and storm flaps for the zips – it would hugely increase the cost of the bag, reduce its functionality too

nickc

How is being waterproof a "reduction in functionality"?

soobalias
    Free Member

it would make access more difficult for one

mangoridebike

Obviously waterproofing will make access a bit harder, but I'd certainly rather have dry kit and an extra few seconds to access it.

As far as I can see other than bags with covers it looks like the Alpkit Gourdons.

Any other thoughts?

MrCushtie
    Free Member

Go to Canada and buy something from MEC ?

khegs
    Free Member

The wingnut packs are pretty much waterproof, they aren't fully immersion proof like the Alpkit Gourdons and Cascade Designs Boundary packs (up to 115l, a small person will fit inside one 😉 ), as they don't have taped seams, just waterproof fabric and zips.

Short of a full on dry bag, like the Gourdon etc, nothing you are going to get is fully waterproof, and dry bags are a pain to get at stuff in a hurry from.

For most general backpacking packs, I suspect they aren't waterproof because it'll ramp the cost up too much.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've got a black one of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31943

It has a waterproof cover built into the base which just unzips and covers it. Very neat. It's like a MULE but with less, larger pockets.
    🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘waterproof hydration pack’ is closed to new replies.