Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Waterproof Gloves
  • jlc
    Free Member

Any recommendations for waterproof gloves that actually work. Ideally looking for just shell gloves but cannot find any anywhere, so anything considered. Something that can be used in the summer also would be ideal.

PaulD
    Free Member

I rate the SealSkinz Tech MTB gloves in the winter, but be warned that anything waterproof will get sweaty and be next to impossible to put back on whilst out riding. I actually carry a spare pair of gloves in the ‘Bak during winter for this eventuality.

PaulD

speaker2animals

Not sure of the model but I have some SealSkinzg that look like a knitted glove. I find them very effective and useable for 3 seasons in UK. They have printed palm & finger grips. As said bit too thick once temps increase. Have a look in outdoor shops. I think The North Face do a softshell with sticky palms.

razor

I’ve got the Sealskinz MTB gloves and they work fine, but they are too hot for this time of year. Anyone tried their All Weather Cycle glove?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I just picked up a pair of Fox Attack gloves from Leisure Lakes for exactly that reason. Note, the 2011 don’t have the ion-mask treatment, but Leisure Lakes seem not to have noticed. shh….

They’re not waterproof, but keep the worst off and more importantly, don’t absorb too much water. Coped with 13 hours of welsh drizzle reasonably well on sunday.

“Proper” waterporoof gloves are too warm for summer, but when normal gloves get wet, you get cold hands. These seem to be a good compromise.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Only glove I’ve found that’s properly waterproof is extremities tough bags. They are mitts but just a paclite shell so would be fine if you needed to wear them in summer. I use them commuting in heavy rain and they’ve lasted well.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Completely unfashionable, but when I used to bike instruct pre affordable gore tex days I used to rob loads of the diesel gloves from filling stations and pull those on over an inner glove. It worked surprisingly well, and they were free with each fill up.

13thfloormonk

Best thing I could find was the Altura model, Nevis I think, which was effectively a shell with a separate liner glove. They were still warmish without the liner but probably not too hot as most of the insulation was in the liner glove.

Edit: in truth, after a 9 hour hillwalk in the pouring rain and multiple ‘squeezings’ of the glove to get the worst of the water out of the external fabric, I think they let some water in. Still better than anything else I’ve used.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just me that’s had several pairs of crap sealskinz then?

footflaps

I use Gore Bike Wear GTX gloves – work fine. Use then for skiing as well on warmer days…

BadlyWiredDog

The only gloves I’ve found which are consistently waterproof are the Mountain Hardwear ones which use a technology called OutDry, which bonds a PU liner to the inside of the outer of the glove – no floppy inserts or water pooling between the outer shell and a waterproof, floating liner.

Use a pair all winter as shell gloves with various liners and they were great. Never leaked, never got moist and sweaty – MHW Epic Glove, they do have a fine tricot lining, but in cold conditions, added thin liner gloves or thicker ones, PowerStretch for example, work well.

These: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Epic™-Glove/OM3298,default,pd.html

Not cheap and not bike specific – I don’t think anyone makes bike gloves using OutDry – but impressively good.

Nick

Not Endura Strikes

transapp
    Free Member

I’ve given up with waterproofs and now use a sailing glove designed to work when wet. Current fav is Rooster Winter Pro, tough as old boots, warm but not hot. The thumbs can be a bit short though which can cause aches on long rides.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Gloves’ is closed to new replies.