• This topic has 24 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waterproof dog coats?
  • scruffywelder
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a waterproof dog coat?

Given the number of dog owners on here I thought it’d be worth asking. Not many in the local shops (and the ones there are are crap).

Don’t think we need anything massively fancy, just something decently made that’ll keep the rain off.

Cheers, Scruff

Edric64
    Free Member

Why does your dog need a coat ? Do animals need coats ?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

What size dog? 26, 27.5 or 29?

sandwicheater

Have you been shaving your dog as practise with your new on trend cut throat razor?

Smear the dog in Vaseline, that’ll keep the water out, probably.

andyl
    Free Member

As much as I hate to admit it, we do have a coat for our spaniel, actually we have 2. We don’t use them often but if it is going to be cold and wet and miserable and we are going to be out in it all day and she can’t be off running around keeping warm it makes sense…just.

This is a great coat and very reasonable: http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/danish-design-2-in-1-reflective-dog-coat-black

cyclelife
    Free Member

These are very good;

Slush Combat Suit

mattbee

We’ve got a Troll branded one we picked up in Joe Browns in Llanberis a few years ago, it’s very ‘mountain rescue’, in red with lots of hi viz, glow stick pouch etc… This one.
    Thick fleecy lining and waterproof.
    Our Springer/Lab cross has hip and back problems and keeping him warm and dry(ish, he still loves puddles!) helps with his mobility.

scotroutes

All dogs coats are waterproof.

HTH

JoeG
    Free Member

Surely a dog umbrella would be more British!

Marin
    Free Member

They come wearing them already.

gregsd
    Free Member

Country Mun have a range of dog coats.

RustySpanner

skids
    Free Member

I would just get a regular warm coat, if the water has managed to soak all of the way through that then it’s probably time to go home

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    Why does your dog need a coat ? Do animals need coats ?

But not all dog breeds are the same. Sure, a working Lab/spaniel don’t need one because they’ve a thick coat and have been bred to be outside in All weathers. Take a whippet or our dog (a Rhodesion Ridgeback) out in cold wet weather and they soon start shivering if stood still due to them having a short, sparse coat. Back to the OP the Hurtta range come well recommended
    http://www.hurtta.com/en/Products?category=5

mrmoofo

Driz-a-bone

lesgrandepotato

I reckon yacht varnish should work. Would Polish up a treat too.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

All dogs coats are NOT waterproof, true fact.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think the Danish Designs one looks like it’d be a good bet for what I’m looking for.

Cheers, Scruff

GolfChick
    Free Member

I have the hurta raincoat for ziva (another Rhodesian ridgeback) and it replaced one from the range which she liked but she hates the hurta raincoat and won’t go to the toilet in it so you end up taking it off for a few minutes so she will. I can’t decide if it’s the cut of it or the fact theres excess material but she dislikes it greatly. Been looking at the ruff wear so will end up getting one of those instead. She wears it on our road walks when shes just walking not generating enough heat for her body to cope with. If we were in the forest etc I wouldnt put it on, it is very handy not having to dry down the entire body too.

onandon
    Free Member

Give it a spray with this.

niloC
    Free Member

Hurtta dog coat

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Both of ours have the Danish Designs ones with the removable inner liner insulation. Make sure whichever one you get has hind leg straps otherwise the back of the coat tends to ride up and flap about.
    http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/dog-coats-clothing/dog-coats/2-in-1-waterproof-coat

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t you lot spot when a 9 month old thread is resurrected by spam?!

[REPORTED]

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof dog coats?’ is closed to new replies.