Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • ‘Waterproof’ clothing – bollocks!!! (kind of a rant…)
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

No trouble with my Endura Stealth in the wet. If you are soaked it is either coming in round your neck or you have left one of the zips open. Otherwise it is actually sweat

bikeservant
    Free Member

I wear Endura also an not problems. I am very happy with the quality

topper

I spent around 3 hrs riding in my 3 month old Stealth on sunday in torrential rain and had no rain penetrate.

BTW. If your after some decent winter gloves try “Outer Edge”. Over the years i’ve had tens of pairs of gloves and, for 20 quid,are the best by far.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Waterproofs are okay but if it’s really pouring for an extended period, I’ll wear my buffalo with my £10 Freestyle waterproof shorts and Woolie Boolies. No matter how wet, I always feel dry and warm with this combo.

molgrips
    Free Member

you should see the term ‘waterproof’ more as a description of the type of garment rather than taking it literally IMHO

Not true. Waterproof means waterproof. If it’s not proofed properly, the water soaks into the outer layer of the jacket (but not through into the inside) which a) makes you cold and b) stops it breathing, so your sweat condenses on the inside.

Like I said, if water is not beading off then the jacket needs reproofing. I have a jacket that won’t keep it’s water repellency, this is a crap jacket.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

EDIT – Post deleted as I was talking rubbish!
    🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

My stealth has been fine but I have got cold when stopped at the pub and sweating with crap base layer and jersey-my fault.

If it’s been washed alot then you might need to add water proof agent in the wash.

Just ring Endura and have a nice chat with them.

Nice folks normally.

user-removed
    Free Member

I use a Freestyle goretex paclite jacket which seems to be exactly what it claims to be. Water doesn’t get in, even when it’s lashing, but sweat does disappear quite nicely.

Only problem is, it’s the super-fluo version, bought heavily discounted at Wiggle (like, less than half price). It’s truly hideous to look at but I couldn’t afford one in a stylish colour 🙂

Expensive, but effective.

akira

Had my Stealth on yesterday in the rain and snow, was perfectly dry all day.
    As people say it’s quite likely that it’s perspiration inside the jacket, I never need to wear more than a short sleeved base layer underneath it as they are really warm.

zaskar
    Free Member

Also my endura strike gloves felt soaked through-it was sweat not rain! eww as well… 😆

hopevalley

Washing is the key folks, all waterproof, breathable fabrics rely on the outer shell repelling water and the inner coating or membrane providing wicking and breathability.
    With most fabrics you must use Nikwax or similar cleaners, or soap flakes! – (except for event which needs to be washed in detergent), and apply a reproofing agent -(again except for event -where heat is most suitable.)
    In my experience most jackets that’leak’ are actually wetting out on the outer and then condensating on the inside. Makes sense really – if the outer fabric of your jacket is waterlogged then how can water inside get through it?
    Even some ‘new’ jackets can have issues – as many will have been on a slow boat from China for a couple of months, then sat in a warehouse for another month or two, all teh while the DWR can break down – and once that’s gone the jacket ‘wets out’, and you get the breathability issues mentioned above.
    i’ve alwasy found Endura kit really good so with the Endura stealth i’d recommend giving it a wash and then maybe a re-proof and then try it again?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘‘Waterproof’ clothing – bollocks!!! (kind of a rant…)’ is closed to new replies.