Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Waterproof boots
  • stayhigh

Morning All

Are shimano MW80/81’s still the or have they been knocked off the perch? If not, wheres the best place price wise at the mo?

Cheers all

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

shimano mw80/81

end of thread.

that was easy 😉

seriously though mine are in there 3rd full on winter (this worse than ever and riding more) and once cleaned up they still look brilliant!

they are just fantastic and when they die they will be replaced by exactly the same (mw81 i think they are now)

excitable1
    Free Member

Just got some of these. Excellent, light, and toasty warm.

beej

I too have the Celcius Artic (sic). Brilliant bit of kit, after many years of freezing feet I can now ride for a couple of hours at 1C, without extra overshoes or painful/numb toes.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive not seen them before TBH but i guess thats because ive been really happy with my mw80s

they do look pretty good too though i must say and the reviews on wiggle by actual users looks pretty much like they are brilliant!

id perhaps consider these too next time then if the price was right, but again you cannot go wrong with the mw80/81’s either

oldfart

Another thumbs up for Northwaves 2nd Winter , bombproof waterproof , toasty and as comfortable as slippers ! Proper fit n forget !

pymwymis
    Free Member

Another for Northwave. I have the Celcius rather than the arctic, but still plenty warm enough. I have feet like spades and thought the extra insulation in the arctics might cramp my feet a bit. Slight numbness in feet for first 2 or 3 rides but now worn in and very comfy indeed.

The sole and uppers are waterproof until the water dribbles down you legs and past the neoprene cuffs but unless your prepared to duct tape yourself up you’ll just have to live with it. It is the same with all similar boots – you cant beat gravity. I poured a few fl oz out of mine the other day.

kilo

I have the northwave road boot (farenheit?) and the rose mountain bike winter boot, the rose is, imo, a much better winter boot in terms of waterproofing and warmth. I’ve been using them constantly for mtb’ing and club runs at the weekend and commuting during the week and they’ve been great. Standing around in the snow fixing punctures no problem. The rose is a bit clumpier though

headpotdog
    Free Member

Wore my MW81s last weekend and my feet were sooo toasty :). Very well made and pretty waterproof in all but the worst conditions. What’s not to like?

I seriously considered the Northwave boots too, but I wasn’t convinced that the materials were as good and the fit of the Shimanos is just spot on too. Well worth the money IMO.

Del

shimano mt91s here, with goretex socks inside. don’t like cold feet, me. 😀

Sandwich

My MW81 boots are a year old and the stitching has parted between the leather and neoprene on one of them at the rear loop.The strange internal baffle causes no end of irritation when putting them on and may have contributed to the stitching failure.
    How does the Northwave sizing come up compared to Shimano where I need a size bigger to be warm and comfortable?

baldman
    Free Member

Had MW80’s and now MW81’s, both excellent and I really rate them.

In really heavy rain water runs down my legs into the top of the boot even with the neoprene cuffs pulled tight, so no better than the Northwaves pymwymis describes above.

The Shimano’s size up a bit small, I’ve gone up to 44 (all other riding shoes 43) so worth checking size.

Kryton57

The Lake ones are the best all round boot,, now that they are making them again.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I’m in my 3rd year with my MW80s & they are a pretty good 3 season boot. You do need to get a size up in them as they come up small & its good to have some room for thickish socks.

I have cut the arm part off a set of black industrial rubber gloves(pink or yellow just arn’t me!) & wear these as gaiter against my leg & over the top of the boots. This stops all the water running down my legs – or permeating through my biblings – into my boots.

stayhigh

Gahh its six of one, half a dozen of the other. Oh the agony of choice…

I’m faffing like a girl with this and cant make up my mind 😳

senorj

I’ve had the mw80’s for about 6 years now.
    I’ll be getting the 81’s when the 80’s die. one size up for me .

tinybits
    Free Member

Just to say, Wiggle have the MW81’s going pretty cheaply at the moment, particularly with 10% off code)

wwaswas

I have some Specialized Defrosters.

they’re pretty good and, for me, a better fit than the MW’s as they have a wider toe.

They’re not as warm as My Lake frankenboots but they’re probably more veratile as a result.

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve got the Northwave Celsius ones, can’t fault them. Much better than the Specialized defroster but I’ve not tried the Shimano ones.

houndlegs
    Free Member

What’s the 10% off code for Wiggle please. I fancy some of those north wave boots.

tinybits
    Free Member

“10-EXTRA” worked about 5 days ago. 10% off everything.

bitemebryn
    Free Member

Another +1 for the NW Artic’s. Mine are on their 3rd winter and are used on the trails, the commute, and the road bike. Still, after a good wash, as good as new.

houndlegs
    Free Member

My artics turned up today, they seem very good. One question though,they feel a tad snug,nowt much, but a little bit none the less.
    Do they give at all with a bit of wear,or send them back for next size up?

mattjg
    Free Member

My MW80s (2 winters and a long wet summer in) have torn on the neoprene cuff where it meets the front of the boot body. So watch for that I guess!

excitable1
    Free Member

My artics turned up today, they seem very good. One question though,they feel a tad snug,nowt much, but a little bit none the less.
    Do they give at all with a bit of wear,or send them back for next size up?

I’m usually a size 8 and after reading the reviews I went straight for a size 9 and they fit perfect. I’ve done a dozen rides and haven’t noticed any give in them at all. I’d suggest you go for the bigger size. That way you can way a thick sock with them too.

DrP

I think my MW80s are 4 winters old…

Have had a few repairs, some quite substantial, but still waterproof!

I jetwash them (Still on my feet) after muddy rides too!

DrP

soobalias
    Free Member

think i got my northwave celcius in 2005, bit narrow for my feet
    could be warmer, but by the time my toes are going to freeze, my hands dont want to play

stayhigh

Well I went for the Celcius in the finish purely on the basis of trying something different as I always go with Shimano shoes. They were a steal at £90 with a cheeky 15% off voucher, I just have to check the size when they get here.

stufive
    Free Member

I have some lakes ive had them three years now there a awsome boot if you look after them
    http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/608051/products/lake_mxz302_winter_cycling_boot.aspx
    🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof boots’ is closed to new replies.