Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Waterloo to Kings Cross
  • theotherjonv

Tomorrow am, have about an hour to do it it. best route, to avoid stairs where possible (like a **** I went for a run and now hip is screwed up!)?

Seems could do Northern to Leicester Sq and then Piccadilly line to KX

Or Northern to Warren St and then Victoria line

Or Northern to Euston and walk the last bit (walkings OK, stairs hurt)

Come on you Villagers, you know your tube stations better than me.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Warren St has stairs to get anywhere from the Northern line. I’d do Euston and walk, I think there are escalators all the way up at Euston but I’m not 100%. Choose KX entrance carefully for the bit you need to get to if you want to totally avoid stairs, there are a few flights of 5 or 6 if you go in the wrong door.

allthepies
    Free Member

Boris bike it, about 3 miles 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

have about an hour to do it it.

allthepies – Member
    Boris bike it, about 3 miles

Yep.

theotherjonv

That thought just occurred to me too.

Tell me about it – never used one, not got an account, is docking out and in easy?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

never used one, not got an account, is docking out and in easy?

Exit Waterloo, go down the hill towards the river and there are loads of Boris bikes out there.
    Put card in. Follow instructions.
    Take code to bike. Enter code, pull bike out of stand. Ride.

Route? I’d go along Upper Ground, turn left over the Col du Blackfriars and then just head straight on up Farringon Street/Road. Easy peasy.

Get to dock, put bike in dock, and walk away. It’s a doddle.

edd

It’s less than an hour to walk…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Jubilee line to Green Park change to Victoria Line to Kings Cross should be escalators. I did that journey in 15 minutes back in June.

crazy-legs

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/barclays-cycle-hire?intcmp=2295

Another vote for Boris-biking it. Link above is all you need to know about how it works.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I Boris Bike every day, great service. If you are going to do that download the app and check two things, firstly there are bikes at Waterloo – there are always tonms in the morning but as the day goes on they get taken and the racks don’t fill up till the afternoon/evening, secondly there is somewhere to park it at Kings Cross, it’s not all unusual to find the parking full. Also Waterloo to King Cross isn’t the quietest road ride you’ll ever do !

I am curious that you want to bike but not climb stairs ?

Anyway tube (Bakerloo/Victoria change at Oxford St or as above Jubilee/Victoria)

Or I would say if you don’t want stairs / effort the number 1 tip from me is the 59 bus – you can pay by Oyster or contactless card

nickjb
    Free Member

Go on the bus. There will likely be direct one. That said I often walk when in London. The centre of London isn’t that big and its quite interesting.

simon_g

Where are you coming in from? Most Waterloo trains stop at Vauxhall, so direct on the Victoria line from there.

If you do bike it, the racks are empty by 8.30ish unless it’s raining so you either queue as they unload the trucks or walk further away.

theotherjonv

It’s stepping down that causes the issue, even little steps jar a little bit and x that by potentially lots of steps.

theotherjonv

tomorrow, arrive 0713 and train out of KX at 0830

jambalaya
    Free Member

Get the 59 bus then. Roads should be quite empty at 7:30 by the time you are on the bus. Your train ticket should cover the bus ride but check otherwise Oyster/Contactless.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Easy – northern line and walk
    Fun – Boris bike.

Did the latter this morning and am going for a quick spin now just for fun!

theotherjonv

It was a lovely morning so the Boris bike won out. Thanks all for the encouragement and ATP for the facebook wisdom!

What exactly is first gear for? You could climb the Eiger on that?

njee20
    Free Member

Anyway tube (Bakerloo/Victoria change at Oxford St

This – it’s a cross platform change at Oxford Street, escalators both ends.

Or Boris bike.

theotherjonv

Got to love the read the first message, skip the rest and miss the point-edness of your post!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conti Vert Pros!

MrSmith
    Free Member

The centre of London isn’t that big

You can fit the busy bit of Manchester (ancoats to the north/bridge water canal to south) inside Hyde park.
    Just sayin like. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Got to love the read the first message, skip the rest and miss the point-edness of your post!!

Ah yes, actually I did (as I quoted what struck me as the sensible route, suggestions of Jubilee line etc were a little daft!), but somehow missed your post!

nedrapier

thecitymapper app is well worth having. gives you all the options, walk, train, various tube and bus routes, cycle, cab, how long they’ll take, and cost.

the cycle bit has 2 options, the bike hire one links to the boris app, and gives you a route from the nearest dock with bikes to the nearest dock to your destination with spaces.

rugbydick

Anyone got any thoughts on running this? Good routes that avoid traffic, etc?

I’m travelling from Aberdeen to Dorset this weekend, but need to fit in a 5km run (I’m doing this Marcothon thing).
    I’ve got an hour to get from Kings X to Waterloo on Friday lunchtime, then back again on Sunday.

hot_fiat

Up to Euston road to Judd street, hang a left, essentially keep going. (there are some squiggly bits fixed by doing the odd right then left) You can walk it quickly in much less than an hour.

hilldodger
    Free Member

http://walkit.com/

usually gives pretty good routes

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Waterloo to Kings Cross’ is closed to new replies.