• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • water utility bills – 2 people – anyone?
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I wonder if we're paying too much on our water bills, possibly due to a dodgy meter.

£35/month for ~ 90cubic metres a year, just 2 people in a flat with no bath (just shower) and not doing any car washing, etc?

Only ask as we were paying 20% less on rates 18months ago before we moved to a similar property with a meter, and everyone reckoned our bills would be less.

Jerome
    Free Member

No competetion in water market I do not think
    It used to be about what band you are in, maybe get water company to check that.
    Have you got a water meter..

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno. I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in. What's a typical rate in the west country would be obscene in other parts.

fbk
    Free Member

To be honest, I'm always shocked at how much our water bill is (2 people, detached house, can't remember what the last bill was off the top of my head though). I thought it would be cheaper with a meter but I think that's just a myth to get people on to meters 😉

Irish_AL
    Free Member

they tried to charge me £49 a month on my bill and I live alone and generally out 10hours a day sono real major usage apart from the bog, shower and coffee making, had a meter fitted and the bill is now a quarter off what they wanted.

ransos
    Free Member

I pay £16.50 per month (metered, 2 people, semi-detached house). If you think you have a leak, take a reading on the meter just before you leave the house for work, and read it again when you come home.

jon1973
    Free Member

about £20 a month for me in an unmetred 2 bedroom house.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

nads.

We are on a meter here, and i had expected bills to be no more than our last place.

Wondering if a leak may be to blame, there is one kinda near where the meter is, probably a longshot though.

momo

Dave, do your own leak test – shut off your internal stop tap, if the meter continues to go up (give it a few minutes) then you have a leak between the mater and your internal stop tap, if you're in rented property then get straight on to the landlord, if not get on to your water supplier, they may be able to help, I know we do, but some companies are more helpful than others!

Edit – Your water supplier might come out and undertake a meter test for you, but be warned they will most likely charge for this, especially if the meter proves not to be innacurate (its one of the few services that they can actually charge you for on top of your water/sewerage charges)

Mrs Momo and I live in a 2 bed flat, both have showers everyday, no garden watering/car washing etc and our consumption is around 70 cubic metres per annum

LMT
    Free Member

Im in an unmetered flat, 2 people, no bath, shower etc and the bill is £145 ish every 6 months, went up a little last year. Still think its stupidly high, might ask landlord to get a meter fitted!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘water utility bills – 2 people – anyone?’ is closed to new replies.