Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Water resistant shoes for flats
  • Dansk1

Are there any options for waterproof/resistant shoes for flats? 5:10s are taking days to dry. There must be something for our lovely climate?

scotroutes

Check Fresh Goods Friday. The new Vaude Mid High shoes have a Sympatex liner.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any of the Five10 elements range.

pipiom
    Free Member

Buy a pair of goretex walking shoes/boots, send em to Feet first, and they’ll put a 5-10 sole on em. Had my Berghous winter boots for 3 years now,still holding up fine.https://www.resoles.co.uk

mattkkitch

I’ve got the 5.10 freerider elements, I’m pleased with their water resistance and theyou don’t get anywhere near as soggy as Impacts. However no shoe can be totally dry when you get back from a really wet ride and they still take ages to dry. I’ve had bad experiences with other 5.10s when drying them too quickly on a radiator or in an airing cupboard.

maxtorque

Here’s my pair of 5Tens in their natural winter environment…….

😉

ratadog

Or get a pair of waterproof hiking boots and don’t bother about changing the sole.

I have been using inov-8 roclite 286gtx goretex boots for a few years. Lightweight, lasted well, sole works with flats, waterproof and a bit of ankle protection. rrp is 125ukp but if you hunt around you can often find them for a lot less.

tom.nash

I have done a whole, grim, scottish winter in a pair of 5Ten Freerider Elements with a pair of knee-length waterproof socks – the way forward!! They dry overnight with the soles taken out, stuffed with newspaper and left near a radiator 🙂

StuE
    Free Member

I got a pair of these http://www.v12outdoor.com/product.php/7594/five-ten-mens-guide-tennie-mid-gtx and they have been very good

johnnystorm

Shoe drier for £7 on amazon is what you need. 😀

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

Shimano AM45 keep water out + easy to clean. Long trousers also stop water getting in.

j3ffo
    Free Member

New style impacts are synthetic and dry very quickly IMO. Sealskin hydrostop plus these have been a solid combo for me

noltae
    Free Member

If it’s wet water will get in regardless – decent thick wool socks will keep you warm when wet – that works best for me ..

Dansk1

Didn’t pay attention when buying the 5:10s so bought some non-element things. Lesson learned: They must be able to triple their weight at first sight of a puddle.

Will grab some sealskinz for now and look at a shoe upgrade next payday.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Adidas have bought 5.10 and use Stealth rubber in some of their Terrex range. Check out some of their waterproof hiking and canyoneering boots.

If you just want resistant, the Shimano AM range are very good, I have both 40’s and 41’s which take a surprising amount of immersion and splashing before they actually give in.

jakd95
    Free Member

Another vote for 5:10 Freerider Elements, mine are great. Just wear thick wool socks and accept your feet are going to get wet and then wack them on the radiator when you get back home.

asbrooks

I know these aren’t biking shoes, but they are pretty waterproof and they are on sale in most places, I paid £30. They stick to my peddles like glue Penrith waterproof shoe

coogan
    Free Member

The 5Tens Impacts VXI are much more waterproof the the old ones.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Have a look at the non bike specific 5:10’s like the camp 4. They don’t look as special as the bike ones and mine easily dry over night. I hate the look of the bike ones. Nothing screams try hard more.

ton

on my 2nd pair of sam hill impacts. they are far far more water friendly…..but the sole is crap. very thin layer of stealth rubber that holes within a couple of month when used with pedals with pins. the holes then gradually grow bigger.

Northwind

The Freerider Impacts are better than most, but still only a little water resistant. If they were SPD shoes nobody’d say they were a winter option, but us flattists are used to grippy sponges so they seem great. They’re not, they’re just not terrible. They do dry faster though.

The new Impact VXIs are pretty water resistant and they don’t have that sponge factor either but they’re, IMO, absolutely awful to ride in- they’re grippy but they’ve got absolutely zero feel. I thought maybe it was just me then I discovered Sam Hill refused to wear his VXI Signature Model 😆 Sold mine and good riddance.

Some of the Sombrios are pretty decent- I have some of the fugly purple X Shazams, they’re still not very waterproof but they’re hi-top and more resistant than the Elements. They’ve also got less absorbent material inside so they don’t hold as much water. But the sole’s not as grippy. (it’s grippy enough, most of hte time, but I really rate the 5 10 grip when things get more marginal- when I’m barely staying on teh bike, or dog tired, or riding stuff that makes me want to cry, it’s a bonus)

philwarren11
    Free Member

I have both 5 10 freerider elememts and Shimano AM41 and if im buying shoes again i’d get the shimanos again.

You’d loose a tiny bit of grip but you’d gain more “waterproofing” and the drying speed. When you got decent pedals you dont evn notice the grip difference.

steel4real
    Free Member

Water resistant shoes for flats that I use…

5:10 freereider elements
    5:10 impact Xvi (but as above prefer for xc/trail rides as they lack feel but not grip and absorb shock well on a hardtail)
    shimano am 41

will be getting the Am7’s next when I wear through the soles of the am41’s.

Dansk1

Okay, any would be kickstarters looking for a project:
    – Flat grippy sole, bonus points for grippy bits at toe and heel. Not too thick, not too thin.
    – water resistant, or even better proof
    – Dry quickly
    – Don’t look like they were designed by an NHS committee

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Water resistant shoes for flats’ is closed to new replies.