Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Water Rates
  • Daffy

I’ve just bought my first house and for the past three and a half years, have been renting at a fixed rate with bills included.

I’ve just been informed that my unmetered water rate for a 4 bed detached house with 2.5 occupants will be £80pcm (over 10 months). This seems a little steep to me, and is almost double what I expected…am I being unrealistic?

So to the question – how much do you guys pay? Are you metered or unmetered? Size of home? Annual rate?

Cheers,

Daffy.

allthepies
    Free Member

Single occupant, metered. About £100/annum.

honeybadgerx

I got a bit of a surprise when I moved to Scotland and found out your water rate is breaded on your council tax band, nothing to do with how many people live there…

If you’re in England I think there’s quite a few water companies who will install a meter for a nominal charge, around £50 or so.

jota180
    Free Member

Ours is around £30/month for a 4 bed terrace (Northumbrian Water)

Daffy

allthepies – Member
    Single occupant, metered. About £100/annum.

Your bike must be filthy at that rate, Shirley?

csb

Daffy, I too was shocked with a similar house and bill as yours. I think meters are installed free.

cinnamon_girl

Either that or he only washes on a Sunday!

Edit: £30 per month for one very clean and very clean-haired person. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got rainwater tanks for that 😉

cinnamon_girl

😆

You’re just a typical bloke!

😉

northernmatt

Ours is the same as jota. About £30 a month, unmetered 3 bed terrace with Northumbrian Water. £800 a year sounds a bit much.

scotroutes

Water in: £275pa
    Water out: £319pa

Scottish Highlands, Band F

sharkbait
    Free Member

Metered and own septic tank, so no sewerage charges – £220/year.

You need a meter.

ahwiles
    Free Member

un-metered, sheffield.

£30/month.

cinnamon_girl

I have a meter and use water frugally so fail to understand why I pay so much. Car hardly gets washed, garden is never watered.

Daffy

I’m told that toilet flushing and high flow showers are the primary culprits.

Rio

It’s going to depend a lot on where you are. If you’re in the South West then according to OFWAT you can expect to pay £800 per year unmetered. We’re in Thames Water’s area and pay about £320 a year, most of which seems to go towards digging big tunnels under London.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Don’t pay separately. But up here the water part of my council tax is about 500 quid.

Thats band E in Glasgow.

Here’s all the he bands and their break down
    https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4722

footflaps

Think we pay about £400/annum unmetered for a 3 bed house, based on Council Tax band.

bensales
    Free Member

Midlands (Severn Trent), 3-bed semi, 2 adults, 1 child, 1 baby. £50 per month (very accurately) metered. We don’t scrimp and save water, but we don’t take the mick either. Took a few phone calls to finally get them to adjust the DD to what we actually used, based on submitting 24 months of monthly meter readings…

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

20 quid a month for two people in a 2 bed terrace in the NW Alps. On a meter as well.

giantjason
    Free Member

Living in bristol and we were paying around £500 for the year unmetered. We got a meter installed free and we now pay around £300 for the year so much better off.

That’s for a 4 bed detached house with 2 adults and baby.

Stoner
    Free Member

£24pm (£300 pa) household of 4, metered. Low volume flushing bogs, low volume DW and WM. Mains sewerage. Not paying for rainwater discharge as ours outflows to ground water.

And I work from home so all my poos and wees are flushed on my own dime 🙁

d45yth
    Free Member

I was told the easiest to work out what’s best is if there’s less folk than there is bedrooms, a meter will always work out cheaper.
    I’ve gone from paying close to £50pm, now down to about £14 with a meter.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at the council tax link above – Glasgow City council. Like for like bands are still cheaper in Glasgow…with water included, than they are here for just council tax. Moved from unmetered 4 bed to a metered 3 bed detached. Far cheaper!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Water Rates’ is closed to new replies.