Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Water bottles …
  • zippykona

Can’t live without them or never bother?
    It stopped me buying an Orange 4 and made me sell my Superlight. The person who bought the Superlight never rides it as he too misses a water bottle.
    If you bike pack do you miss your bottles when you fit a frame bag?

joefm

Id never buy a bike without a bottle cage mount (and not on the underside of the downtube either). That eliminated quite a lot of good bikes when looking around

whitestone
    Free Member

It depends on what/where I’m riding. For short routes I’ll use a water bottle but for longer day rides where I know (or have a good idea) that there won’t be much water I’ll take a Camelbak.

Main MTB (Solaris) has a single set of cage bosses, I can fit a partial frame bag in with the water bottle. I’ve also got a Salsa Spearfish which has a set of cage bosses inside the main triangle – I’ve got a custom frame bag that takes up all the frame space but even a partial custom frame bag would be very awkward so I’ll mount the water bottle on the front of the seat post using a pair of DMR clamps. Obviously not using a dropper!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Backpack only for big days out in the middle of nowhere. Everything else, just a water bottle.

I’ll always want a frame with bottle mounts.

jimdubleyou

If I’m out all day / touring on the drop bar bike, I like bottles as I prefer not to have anything on my back. I even have some bar mounts for extra cages if I need it.

My MTB can only fit a 500ml bottle with a side access cage so I have to take a backpack.

cuda17
    Free Member

i bought a frame without bottle cage bosses so ended up buying a decathlon cage adapter thing and a side loading cage in order to fit one under the piggy back monarch. only thing is i can only just squeeze a 400mm bottle in there without it fouling the suspension!

scotroutes

Another few customers.

Excellent!!!

kayak23

Can’t fit a bottle on my Rocket as the piggyback fouls it. I think they moved the mounts forward on the newer model.

My Shan simply doesn’t have mounts. The latest version of it does and to be honest I’d quite like it on the strength of that as I hate having to stop all the time to get my bottle out, but am not a bladder fan really.

zippykona

Who would like to see the answer to this problem?

jamesoz

I see how that’s a good solution, how about oval bottles or even triangle bottles?
    I’d quite like a c shaped bottle that clipped over the top tube sort of like a fuel tank. Or even two long slim bottles clipped to the top tube.

prawny

It’s not a complete deal breaker for me, but it’s not ideal.

I’d love a five for the single pivot simplicity. But don’t want to have to bodge a bottle on. My last bike didn’t have bottle mounts (in a sensible place) and it was a minor PITA, I ended up just not drinking whilst out, my rides are normally sub 2 hours.

zippykona

But don’t want to have to bodge a bottle on

Ouch!

hodgynd
    Free Member

A waste of four bolts on my frame ..always carry my Camelbak HAWG ..just the amount of liquid differs.
    It’s always been a case of ‘what if ‘ in terms of the level of equipment, clothes & spares carried in my pack ..but it makes for a bigger work-out ..

jamesoz

It’s the sweaty back I hate, I’ve got two bikes without bottle cages so tend to use a pocket bottle with a roadie top under my jersey. It’s not ideal so I’m always interested in different ways to carry water.

zippykona

I still carry a back pack but much prefer bottles.
    Every camel bak I’ve had seemed to leak from the nozzle and I hate cleaning and drying them.
    I’ve made a rigid crud catcher out of a plastic chopping board , covered it in a plastic folder and screwed 2 bottle mounts to it.
    It doesn’t rattle or interfere with your knees.

gwurk
    Free Member

Around 2 hours riding. – don’t need water at all.

jamesoz

That’s quite clever but does it not weigh loads?

skybluestu
    Free Member

Ive not used a water bottle for 12 years and wouldn’t dream of it now. To have the ability to carry everything needed is a must for me including water a plenty. Camelback all the way for me.

zippykona

The mk1 weighs 400g with 2 bottle cages.
    The mk2 is less as I’ve cut away the board and using the folder as the mud protection. I could keep cutting it away untill it breaks.
    The boards are £2 in Tesco so it’s no drama to experiment.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Water bottles …’ is closed to new replies.