Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Water based Satin Paint over Dulux Trade Satinwood
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My wife has literally had the decorators in (still not bored of that joke).

I’m not hugely impressed with the woodwork and am going to have to touch it up. The decorator insisted on using Dulux Trade Satinwood. Because it’s “self undercoating”. It’s the solvent based one, rather than the quick dry water based one. He’s only done one coat. It looks ok, but in a couple of places he’s missed some wood filler, so I’m going to have to rub down and touch up. (it’s in really visible places).

I paid £240 for 2 days work which seemed reasonable. He’s away for a month now so I cannot be bothered to call him back.

I’ve never got on with Dulux paint, I know many decorators seem to like it but I cannot get a decent finish with it.

Can I just touch up with a Homebase quick dry satinwood? It’s water based and I’ve got loads of it.

lambchop
    Free Member

Dulux trade satinwood is a two coat system. No you can’t touch up with your Home base paint as it won’t match in. The oil base Dulux will start yellowing while the water based will stay bright white. So either touch in with more Dulux or Rub down, undercoat and two full top coats of Homebase paint. Water over oil takes a bit of prep to get it to adhere properly.

AlanMc100
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve worked in the Construction Industry all my adult life & I’ve never come across a professional decorator who insisted on using one-coat, self undercoating paint !!
    I’m a bit suspicious about your “decorator”

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

That’s what I thought.

Annoyingly he came recommended by one of our neighbours.

bigh
    Free Member

It was self Undercoating, and still says it is on the tin. But it’s changed recently without to my knowledge any notification to us proffesionals. Whereas you used to be able to rely on it adhering to old paint, (hence the self Undercoating claim) now it sticks to bugger all without alot of preparation. Bizarrely the new Dulux quick dry range is pretty good. Anyhow, try a small area with your water based stuff and give it a good scratch test when dry, you may well find that very little prep is required as the satinwood is still fairly fresh. Dulux have always been hit and miss, with periods of their paints being good
    ..and not so good. The emulsion however is pretty consistent.

bigh
    Free Member

In addition though, despite whatever claims are given on the tin, one coat is never enough unless conditions are ideal, which they almost certainly, aren’t. Bored yet? Yeah me too 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

All that shows is that your neighbour is clueless about decorating. One coat paints are designed for DIYers IMO. I’ve rarely been happy with the finish, and I’m a DIYer!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Water based Satin Paint over Dulux Trade Satinwood’ is closed to new replies.