Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Water based gloss recommendation
  • pedlad

I’ve a shed load of internal painting coming soon when the extension is built and would like to hear what gives a good finish. I hate oil based paints but equally the W-B gloss I’ve used before is a bit grainy.

Any top tips?

bruneep

Just bought Leyland trade water based gloss from screwfix. Let you know Monday how it is.

Nomad
    Free Member

From experience it’s all shite. Just doesn’t get the same glossy finish as the oil based paint and isn’t as hard wearing.
    The only plus is that it dries quicker.

I won’t use it again!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eggshell.

boxelder

Use a water based undercoat and go for Satin finish. Gloss doesn’t work.

pedlad

Just doesn’t get the same glossy finish as the oil based paint and isn’t as hard wearing.

I know…..but I’d give up some of the finish quality just to save the hassle of the brush cleaning and smell.
    Just trying to find which brand does the best as only used cheap stuff before

onlysteel
    Free Member

Admittedly exterior Dulux white gloss, but very disappointing finish. Well short of their previous oil based exterior gloss, Been using their water based satin for interior woodwork for a few years now and very happy with it. Not sure this helps really…….

bigh
    Free Member

For me it all depends on the amount of detail in the surface that needs painting. You can now achieve a good gloss if you’re painting fairly flat straightforward surfaces. Things like staircase spindles less so.

Anyhow that aside, THE best option recently is the new Dulux quick dry trim.
    this
    Make sure you don’t just get the old stuff that will still be on the shelves in diy centres, that stuffs rubbish.
    It will require two topcoats

Link failed, just use the drop down product menu and head to waterbased

pedlad

Perfect bigh thanks.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Recommended to me by a decorator friend it’s not cheap but no keying, priming or undercoat required.

Bedec MSP. Soft satin.

Worked brilliantly.

br
    Free Member

but I’d give up some of the finish quality just to save the hassle of the brush cleaning and smell.

Brushes are throw-away cheap, just use once and bin.

footflaps

Decent brushes are about £5 to £10 each and give a much better finish than cheapo ones.

djglover
    Free Member

Brushes work better after several uses too!

I’m doing my own decorating on our renovation and using Johnstones water based undercoat and gloss. I would say that as long as you get enough undercoat on and sand well the finish is fine.

Eta, as above I am buying Johnstones trade from the trade counter, don’t go to b&q

nixie

I used the wickes pro stuff in satin. So nice not to have the stink. Don’t care if it isn’t quite so durable as it’s much easier to use.

senorj

As much as it pains me to say it,(the missus insisted upon it), farrow and ball acrylic eggshell has performed better than all the others we have tried over the years.
    Performed = low odour,easy application&non yellowing,

bigblackshed

Buy some decent brushes, buy one of these to store them in wet:

Brush Mate box

No cleaning required, use one brush for undercoat, one for topcoat. OK as long as you are painting all the same colour.

Then use trade Dulux or Crown satin finish. Far better finish than gloss.

jonba
    Free Member

Im another one who says go for a saying finish as it will hide imperfections.

If you go down the oil/solvent based route then walking brushes in plastic will keep the useable for a few days while wet. You can rinse in white spirit. If you keep that in a jar most of the pigment will settle out and you can decant to reuse. Smell i cant help you with.

If you have a lot to do would it be worth finding someone to spray them. Very fast with an Airless gun and generally a better finish.

lambchop
    Free Member

The eternal search for a decent water based gloss finish. Good luck!

globalti
    Free Member

Gloss is unfashionable at the moment, dontcha know? Satin is the look du jour and in any case it doesn’t show brush marks and imperfections.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Water based gloss recommendation’ is closed to new replies.