Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Watching the Star Wars films………..
  • RustySpanner

..in preparation for the new one.

Just 4,5 & 6?

No one actually likes or rewatches 1,2 & 3, do they?

mudshark
    Free Member

What’s wrong with 3?

longmover
    Free Member

4,5,2,3,6 and discard 1

perchypanther
    Free Member

Machete order. End of thread.

Nae Jar-Jar ( almost)

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have all 6, downloaded fairly recently as my lad is 3 now. I have to confess, I have not shown him 1,2 or 3 yet.
    Only shown him 4 and 5 so far but have all 6 loaded into the iPad. He will find the others himself.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just calling the good ones “4, 5 and 6” annoys me.

I can’t not think of them as the only Star Wars films, and being a trilogy they are obviously called 1, 2 and 3

🙂

RustySpanner

Mudshark:
    Christensen, Portman and the word ‘younglings’.

pictonroad

I’ve not seen any of them (I know 🙄 ). I did try and see number 4 (I think?, with the annoying jar jar character) but walked out of the cinema as it was out of focus.

Got a 4 yr old so I think I’ll wait until he’s a bit older and start from scratch, why wouldn’t I just watch a story in order?

Drac

I did try and see number 4 (I think?, with the annoying jar jar character) but walked out of the cinema as it was out of focus.

That wasn’t 4.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

4,5 and 6. They were originally made to stand alone anyway without the prequels. If the prequels were any good then i’d say all 6 but I couldn’t bring myself to recommend the prequels to my worst enemy. Such a shame and a lost opportunity. If the new one is any good they should go back and re-make the prequels and show it for free as compensation.

perchypanther
    Free Member

with the annoying jar jar character) but walked out of the cinema as it was out of focus.

Wasn’t out of focus. You just couldn’t see properly through tears of horror.

philstone

My theory is, if someone has never seen them before, got to be 4,5,6 then 1,2,3, if however they have but didn’t get all of the points (which is what I’m doing for a friend right now) then its 1,2,3,4,5,6..

In terms of preparation for Force Awakens, if you’re not that nerdy then 4,5,6 will do.. If you want the full-on nerd then all of them..

GavinB

We got lent 1-3 recently, and watched them with our boys, who loved the later ones. They didn’t understand what was going on most of the time, as much of the dialogue is more subtle, although lots of lightsabre fights made up for all that.

The number of times I had to explain who was who…Q:’so he’s Darth Vader now?’, A:’no, he’s Obi-Wan Kenobi!’. 5 mins later, repeat. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

When we went to see Episode 2 the film actually burned on the spool (just like you see in, err, films) and we couldn’t see the end of it. For some insane reason we went back to sit through it again to watch it to the end.

kayla1
    Free Member

nealglover- +1 😀

I’d like to see Darth Vader turn Jar Jar Binks and the rest of the Gungans inside out using the Force.

To add, for the full on nerd-o-matic experience, I reckon you have to watch the originals first, in order, then watch the prequels in order, then watch them in machete order. Obviously not all in one go 😆 After that, you can bin the prequels off unless they’re on ITV2 that weekend and there’s nowt else on and continue to enjoy the originals at your leisure 😀

The Force Awakens had better be good but I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

jimdubleyou

+1 for Machete.

edhornby

I think Natalie Portman’s a decent actress but you can only do so much with the terrible dialogue

I think for children, start with ep2 because to them, they are all old films…

Klunk
    Free Member

but you can only do so much with the terrible dialogue

you could say that about all of them, 4 has the some of the worst lines in cinematic history !

“find the controls that extend the bridge”
    “did the kessel run in under 12 parsecs”

johndoh
    Free Member

The person I hated most in 1, 2 & 3 was Ewan McGregor – his acting was utterly disgraceful, completely unconvincing and that smug look he permanently had, christ did it annoy me.

And the one who played Annakin as an adult. He clearly didn’t listen in acting class.

In fact there were only about two redeeming things in the whole of the three films – the climatic scene at the end of 3 and the sabre fight with Darth Maul (which also had a cracking soundtrack to it).

kayla1
    Free Member

Manikin Skywalker? 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

“did the kessel run in under 12 parsecs”

That isn’t the quote though is it, it’s part of it. And it was delivered with panache.

mark90
    Free Member

The number of times I had to explain who was who…Q:’so he’s Darth Vader now?’, A:’no, he’s Obi-Wan Kenobi!’. 5 mins later, repeat.

This is why I’m not taking the missus to see 7 🙂

jam1e
    Free Member

1, 2 & 3 are a total waste of time.

4, 5 & 6 are good if you don’t watch the digitally remastered crap where Lucas fills every shot with digitally enhanced shit.

When you boil it all down ‘Empire Strikes Back’ is the only film out of the whole set that is really worth watching.

kayla1
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

And the one who played Annakin as an adult. He clearly didn’t listen in acting class.

“From my point of view the Jedi are evil”

Arrrrggghhhh!

nealglover
    Free Member

why wouldn’t I just watch a story in order?

Because “the story” is about Luke, and the fight against The Empire.

The later films (the prequels) are there to explain what happened before “the story”

You need to be invested in “the story” by watching the original trilogy, otherwise you don’t really care about what happened before to create the scenario.

The prequels were all pretty bad anyway, but you haven’t seen the original trilogy to create an interest in the story and the “history” then they are total crap.

bluehelmet
    Free Member

Difficult one this, if somebody hasn’t seen them by now, best not bother to recommend them unless of course they are captive youth too premature to be a complete untermenchen that would have missed the series in the first place.

The prequels were ruined by Natalie Portman who is definitely not Carrie Fisher, the idiot who’s name I will not speak for ruining Darth Vader and the interactions between him and that idiot that should have stayed down the toilet looking for trains.

Yoda however rocked as did Count Doku, and Samuel L, though wether they made up for the rest is debatable.

We have an eighties fancy dress thing coming up, I shall go as Princess Leia

wrecker
    Free Member

DP

wrecker
    Free Member

Am I alone in enjoying them all?
    In a series of films there are always going to be favorites, but I don’t think any were bad Star wars films. Just perhaps not up to the enthusiasts expectations/hopes?
    There are a LOT worse blockbusters than any of them.
    I intend on sitting down and watching all of them in order before the next one.

The three prequels aren’t any worse than the first three.

Its just that most of us were a bit older than ten by the time episode 1 came out and had seen a million other special effects/action “spectaculars” in the intervening years.

zilog6128

4, 5 & 6 are good if you don’t watch the digitally remastered crap where Lucas fills every shot with digitally enhanced shit.

Something which is difficult unless you happen to own a VHS/Laserdisc version (and the means to play it!) or a copy derived from them. Or you go online and find the “Despecialized Edition” which I saw at the weekend. It’s a fan-made edit apparently as close to the original as you are going to get (as Lucas has refused even the Library of Congress a copy of it for their archives!)

TheFlyingOx

Don’t ignore Part I, II & III. Just watch them and keep in mind that JarJar is actually a powerful Sith, possibly even the Sith master Supreme Leader Snoke…

Proof 1

Proof 2
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA[/video]

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The story is not about Luke and the fight agaist the Empire – it appears that way as the original films started at Episode 4, which was more to do with selling the film in the first place and Episode 4 being the only one that stands alone as a complete film to give the saga the best chance of success. 4,5 and 6 are about the fight against the Empire. But 1,2 & 3 are about how the Empire came into being and the rise of the Sith and the Dark Side of the Force. To say the whole saga is about Luke is like saying the Bible is about Jesus so read the New Testiment first.

Now without introducing a spoiler I believe the Force Awakens links to the previous films via the Empire Strikes Back (I could be wrong as i’ve been trying to avoid anything about the new film and any spoilers), so that says to me that in order to understand the new film you really only have to have seen the final (original) 3 movies, so not necessary to go through the pain of the prequels.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve been watching them (a lot) with my 8 year old. 1,2 & 3 aren’t too bad when viewed with somebody of that age.

However, the only one he doesn’t watch regularly is The Empire Strikes Back. 😕

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lucas has refused even the Library of Congress a copy of it for their archives!

He really does seem to be a total arse. Lucky that the technology wasn’t there at the time for him to ruin the first 3. Watched Episode 4 for the first time in years recently and the new bits are jarring.

senorj

I’m going with the machete order when I am eventually permitted to show the laal fella. I think he’s showing tendencies towards the dark side!

speed12
    Free Member

The machete order really does work well – You start with 2 great films, you then end on the cliffhanger(ish) of Vader/Luke and then goes back to explain how Vader got to that place, and then another good one to End and finish it all off.

2 and 3 aren’t really that bad, not great, but watchable and 3 in particular works well to show Anakins fall to the dark side.

I think a lot of people say they are crap just because people say they are crap (as with a HUGE number of things but thats a diferrent topic).

Episode 1 is a bit rubbish though…

ransos
    Free Member

The three prequels aren’t any worse than the first three.

They are much, much worse. The first three had (for the time) ground breaking special effects coupled with a simple good vs evil morality tale, cowboys vs Indians, rescuing the princess fairytale etc, all woven in.

The prequels had jar jar binks and a debate on taxing trade routes. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

zilog6128

I think the main problem with the prequels was that Lucas disappeared up his own arse and set out to make some kind of massive, deep, epic story with multiple interweaving plots in contrast to the original which was a snappy, fast paced adventure film in the manner of Flash Gorden, etc.

Also when he was creating the original film he took a lot of advice from many talented people as to what direction the film should take whereas for the Phantom Menace he pretty much just did what he wanted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Watching the Star Wars films………..’ is closed to new replies.