Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Watching the dog while we're out?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

We may be about to adopt a rescue dog and possibly have her on a home trail. As part of that, we’d like to be able to see what she gets up to while we’re out.

We have an old android phone and a couple of chromebooks. I imagine there must be some way of hooking these up to something that allows us to view through them while we’re out of the house.

What’s the simplest way of doing this?
    Thank you in advance, on behalf of Bella.

Caher

Couple of Go-Pro camcorders fixed firmly to the dog.

rene59
    Free Member

Can anyone livestream to youtube? If it’s free and can be made private that might be worth trying.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can certainly turn the phone into a live streaming camera
    There are many apps for that. Not sure about Chromebooks.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Be surprised for it to be VERY dull watching! When I moved into a flat for a year I became paranoid that Ziva would fuss during the day and get freaked out by the sounds of movement so borrowed an IP camera that I could log into. My god that dog can sleep for England!! Oh look there she is, asleep again…… has she even moved!

Onzadog
    Free Member

GolfChick, that’s exactly what we want to see. We’ve been told she suffers separation anxiety but no one knows how bad it really is.

sboardman

We briefly used Dog Monitor with an old android phone when our pup was really young.

Drac

Dogs sleep a lot so unless you like watching dogs sleep I’d not really bother.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why watch what the dogs going to get up to whilst you are out?

You’ll take away the excitement each time you walk through the door, scanning around to see if the curtains and TV are still both standing and in one piece..
    Also, if you put cameras in the house there is still nothing you can do whilst at work, other than watch it destroy your beautiful home..whilst watching aghast at the wanton destruction..
    Or catching you wife/mother/daughter doing inappropriate manoeuvres with the DHL man..

midlifecrashes

Three weeks since adopting these two rascals. In the top pic granny had left the room intact to go to the kitchen to get breakfast, before she’d done they’d had a chunk of skirting board and two cookery books.

So far we’ve lost a tv remote, a phone, several soft toys, books, skirting, a car seat belt, loads of holes in the garden, a dog lead, a Dr Who figure, earmuffs, some sausages and they chomp through dog toys like they are jelly babies.

onehundredthidiot

I set a laptops webcam to record. Didn’t want to see anything I couldn’t do anything about.
    Recording showed a sleeping dog that wandered to the door when the postie came then had a drink and went back to sleep.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We’re not worried about damage, we just want to know if she’s displaying signs of stress.

Might be nice to see what the dog walker might get up to as well.

johndoh
    Free Member

That sounds a bit dodgy – filming someone without their knowledge.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it dodgy if it’s in our house?

bruneep

Do you any grounds to think they are up to no good? Or just abit of voyeurism on your part?

piha
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😀

mikey3
    Free Member

This is how serial killers start.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it dodgy if it’s in our house?

I can’t imagine they’d be happy if they found out – no idea if it is technically legal or not though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think we’re going off on a tangent in response to a throw away comment.

We’ve not adopted the dog yet and therefore, not engaged a dog walker. In all likelihood, we’d give th dog walker access to the camera anyway so they could see the dog as they’d be better placed to deal with any issues.

The original question was whether or not we could turn a coupl of chromebooks and an old phone into real-time cameras that we could review over the internet.

We don’t fancy having to watch through hours of footage to see what she got up to, nor do we want to be able to wave/talk back to her during the day.

We just want to check that she’s not stressing.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

How about a cheap camera?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/clever-dog-smart-camera-wifi-monitor-blue.html

Very apt name as well…

Onzadog
    Free Member

That could work. Might be easier than moving cameras about each morning. Although I think we’d only want to watch her while she settles in.

mattyfez

We got a cheap WiFi ip camera.
    Was about £30
    It does the job, and has a smart phone app which is handy. resolution not great but good enough. Has night vision too, but the quality at night is such that the puppy looks like a collection of pixels drifting around the screen!

What we’ve mainly found is the puppy mostly just chills out on the sofa if we go out for a couple of hours.

It has a mic and speaker too, which I whilst a bit ropey, allows you to talk to the dog.

Edit, ours is the same one Glen quagmire linked to but plain black.
    It has pan tilt and zoom too.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

We have one of the Motorola IP petcams which is great – has motorised pan/tilt, decent night mode, two-way speaker/microphone, sound & motion alerts with variable sensitivity, temperature alerts, video recording, the lot. Decent Android app as well. Definitely worth the money.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can see this starting a whole new thread about IP cameras. Never thought about them before. I assume we could then get them to record any events to our Apple time capsule.

kayak23

Are you anywhere near somewhere that has a permanent webcam?

Simply lock the dog up in front of one, Brighton Pier or Abbey road in London for instance, and you’ll be able to check on the dog easily as much as you want.

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t there used to be a website where you could view any one of hundreds of IP cams? We could all watch your dog 🙂

franksinatra

I use AtHome Camera app on Android for that purpose. It is free and I had an old phone so could set it up with no cost. It works. Has fancy features like two way sound, recording, motion detection but I don’t use any of that.

I had to move a clock into shot as I thought the picture was freezing, turns out it wan’t but instead the dog just doesn’t move. She is a 18 month spaniel, mad as a box of frogs but, when we are out, she seems to turn into a corpse. Adjusts her sleeping position about once every two hours.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Lots of baby monitors that work through the internet. Personally can’t recommend any but that’d widen your options and are designed to do almost the same thing.

plus-one

I have “presence” app on iPhone and iPad .. I set iPad up in the room they sleep in.. I could check on them via the app on my iPhone at any time..

Live video and all for free 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Franksinatra, one plus, thank you, those are the sort of solutions we’re looking for.

DT78
    Free Member

I would pass on the clever dogs. They work okay but for some reason the app drains my phones battery even when I put it to sleep manual (Samsung s6). Unchecked my phone battery goes from 100% at 6am to dead by 2pm. Removal of app, and it is back to normal (currently 71%).

I also have an eyecloud version slightly more expensive and is a bit bigger, the app doesn’t drain phone battery.

njee20
    Free Member

We’ve got one of these for a baby monitor, it’s really good, claimed 720p, certainly more than good enough in a reasonable sized room, can be viewed anywhere, microphone and speaker, can move the camera around using the app/desktop client. Works equally well in the dark too.

Nowhere near as much of a fisheye effect as Matty’s.

johndoh
    Free Member

Didn’t there used to be a website where you could view any one of hundreds of IP cams?

JennyCam? 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Watching the dog while we're out?’ is closed to new replies.