Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Watching movies online
  • Mounty_73

So whats the service & experiences like for watching films online?

Just looking at netflix and love film, anyone use these or any others?

My broadband is around 6 meg, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Cheers

grum
    Free Member

netflix is alright – the selection is improving but needs to get better still IMO. The iPad app is a bit rubbish – you don’t seem to be able to save a list of films you are interested in, for example.

wrecker
    Free Member

I had netflix. I hated it. Dreadful layout, poor selection, difficult to find anything. Don’t recommend. Not tried lovefilm though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I got a free trial of Lovefilm and it worked OK so went for that. To be honest, I’ve used to more for watching old TV series than I have for movies.

Edit: My daughter tried watching something on her Samsung tablet and it wouldn’t work because you need to install Silverlight. I haven’t yet looked into a way around that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mines only 2.5meg and its fine

have either of these companys improved selection ? i signed up in january when i got my apple tv – looked around them both , then promptly canceled my sign up as the choice was crap unless you wanted to watch bargain basement movies – some decent documentarys on netflix mind.

lovefilm couldnt stream from ipad to apple tv at the time but it did have a better selection of streaming films,

i tend to find just going to the apple store on the odd occasion i have an evening free that i want to watch a movie works out better for me i get a better choice and yes its more expensive but i watch maybe a movie a month if im lucky.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

lovefilm couldnt stream from ipad to apple tv at the time but it did have a better selection of streaming films,

You should be able to “mirror” the entire Ipad screen to AppleTV from – regardless of whether Airplay is built into the App you are using.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

lovefilm streaming looks terrible, but the selection is slightly better. I prefer watching stuff on Netflix as it looks like a proper broadcast quality stream and less like the film was shot on a cheap camcorder and lit by domestic lighting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thekingisdead no you cannot

lovefilm have specifically barred this function – only sound will stream

its well documented ….

my mates xbmced his apple tv to let him get lovefilm – it works well apparently , ive yet to see it , might get him to do mine too since hes made all the cables etc needed

packer
    Free Member

None of the online services have a decent selection of the latest films. Must be because the distributors won’t let them have them. Still trying to keep the DVD market alive I guess.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“None of the online services have a decent selection of the latest films”

except itunes 😉

lovefilm and netflix are still trying to compete on headline price(5/6 quid for all you can watch movies) and their service just isnt there imo your getting what you paid for … monkeys peanuts and all that

Mounty_73

So which of the two has the better quality viewing?

Netlix or lovefilm?

ericemel
    Free Member

Lovefilm and Netflix are alright – but Bluray it is not.

druidh
    Free Member

I should also point out that the Lovefilm DVD system seems to work really well. I’m on the 2xDVD plan and they swap them over in two days.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Lovefilm has serious issues IMO. No Android app. Not supported on Linux.
    Terrible streaming speed can only assume it is them as I can stream from Iplayer and the like fine with no buffering.

packer
    Free Member

except itunes

If you want to buy the films then yes, they have a good selection of latest releases.
    However their rental selection is as bad as Netflix and Lovefilm, if not worse.

chvck
    Free Member

Last time i checked netflix didn’t have linux support either.

ericemel
    Free Member

Terrible streaming speed can only assume it is them as I can stream from Iplayer and the like fine with no buffering.

Another reason to go apple imho – support 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Another reason to go apple imho – support

One very small reason. I wont buy a mac because I cant stream Lovefilm!

trail_rat
    Free Member

it is for back catalogue id agree but for current releases the itunes selections pretty good ime.

if its an old movie i want to watch chances are ill have it on DVD or one of my HDDs

druidh
    Free Member

I ever have any issues with streaming to two PCs at once.

retro83
    Free Member

lovefilm’s selection of online films/tv series is dire.

The PS3 streaming app is also buggy and annoying to use, for example it gets stuck in fast forward mode, and the only apparent way to recover is to come completely out of the app, go back in, search for the film again, wait for it to load, then try and remember where you were up to. Just spoils the experience.

Their disc posting service is generally good though. I use that a lot.

DaveRambo

I have an apple TV and it’s hard to see a better online film rental experience.
    The interface is very slick, HD films look amazing and stream with no issues (OK, I have BT Infinity so they should)

Films aren’t the cheapest (but there is always something I fancy watching and it’s just so easy.

I also stream all our ripped DVD’s stored on a NAS and imported to iTunes and the iPad get used a bit to stream youTube stuff.

D

jambalaya
    Free Member

I buy stuff via iTunes. I found the postal LoveFilm service pretty good, just didn’t watch enough films to justify being locked into the contract so stopped it. I suppose one advantage of the DVD services is that you could make your own copies so build your own library. You just have to be more organised as it’s not on-demand.

@soma_rich – you have the tail wagging the dog there

mikey74
    Free Member

I watch Love Film on my PS3 all the time and the performance is perfect. The picture is not much worse than a standard DVD and certainly no operational issues.

The selection is not as good as for DVD and Blu-Ray, but it is getting better.

Oh, and there is an Android app, you just can’t watch films on it yet.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Watching movies online’ is closed to new replies.