Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Watching guy Martin, so a question?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

If recumbent bikes are that much faster/more efficient why are we not all riding them?

duncancallum

Cos they look funny.

In all seriousness you can’t weight transfer on them so limit the off road potential

scotroutes

Great on the flat. Not ideal for climbing.

Northwind

They lose a lot of the other advantages- for us, probably the big one is just the size, they’re harder to store (both at home and when parking- you can’t just chain them to any old railing) and they can’t go through traffic in the same way, and you’ve got to think a bit more about where you go with them .

In traffic it’s the visibility that always freaks me out, and it always seems like any collision’s going to be far worse with you being so low.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought the UCI had a lot to do with it too?

tthew

I used to have one. Never had a problem with other vehicles seeing me, because they are peculiar they definitely catch drivers eye. Normal bikes just blend into the road scenery in comparison.

Fast on the flat and downhill. Proper pita on any gradient, even the fast ones have MTB range gears as you can’t use you upper body strength to assist.

They also PROPER freak horses out.

Northwind

Catching driver’s eyes, sure, but I remember driving to work one day, I’d seen it already in my rearview then it “vanished”- so I figured it was in a blind spot, eventually found it right beside me on the left, below my level of sight, just outside of the rearview mirror image. If I’d not seen him earlier, that could have been pretty ugly, considering I was indicating to turn left…

To be fair though that seemed like a pretty low machine and had no visibility aids, most folks seem to have flags etc… So maybe that’s not a commonplace issue. If he’d had a functioning brain he’d not have been there either so I guess a competent rider avoids the low visibility situations, same as any upright-bicycle-rider does.

tthew

Think your last point has it. Piss poor road craft that, whatever you are riding.

Drac

Re-opened as I was a dumbass.

Northwind

(cheers Drac!)

Yeah but thing is, while he should have ridden round the visibility issues, they’re still there. I agree they’re eyecatching when you see them but that doesn’t help when you don’t.

bencooper
    Free Member

Simple answer: because the UCI banned them in the 1930s for being too fast.

Compared to conventional road bikes, they’re faster in most circumstances, safer and comfier. Faster because of the aerodynamics and biomechanically better riding position, safer because you can brake harder, dont get pedal strike on corners, hit things feet-first, and are unusual. Comfier for obvious reasons.

Cycling is very fashion-driven, especially road cycling. People what to buy the bikes their TDF heroes ride, they don’t want to buy unusual-looking bikes no matter how much better they are.

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh, and on visibility – you’re lower, but much more visible. You’re at eye-level with car drivers, not percehd above them. You’re unusual so drivers take a second look and actually notice you. In years of commuting on recumbents and conventional bikes, I’ve had lots of near misses on conventional bikes, never on recumbents.

ampthill

Its partly a UCI thing

I do think safety must be an issue. I’m think rolling hills in road and how far away you are when you appear and junctions with parked cars etc.

Apparently balance is hard up hill

Obviously not really the thing off road

But mainly we ride what we enjoy and know

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

People what to buy the bikes their TDF heroes ride, they don’t want to buy unusual-looking bikes no matter how much better they are.

He’s right you know. Look at the hordes of MAMILs on “race” bikes, but with the stem turned skywards and a top tube box. They want a “racing” bike, like the pros. They want that image, that ability to tell their friends that their bike is “just like” the ones the pros ride in the tour.

I had an extended borrow of a long wheelbase, under seat steering, faired ‘bent some years ago and it was fun. Not just normal fun, but utterly hilarious, infectious giggling hilarity to ride. Love ’em.

scotroutes

The UCI thing is irrelevant.

bencooper
    Free Member

I do think safety must be an issue. I’m think rolling hills in road and how far away you are when you appear and junctions with parked cars etc.

Apparently balance is hard up hill

Obviously not really the thing off road

But mainly we ride what we enjoy and know

In all my expeience, and that of other recumbent riders, they’re safer. Think of close calls you’ve had with cars, it’s not that they don;t physically see you, it’s that they don’t notice you. Being unusual, and being et eye-level, makes you much more noticeable.

Balance isn’t harder, but it is different – it takes a while to adapt, and starting uphill is probably the thing that takes most getting used to.

Off-road, no – great fun on fast dirt tracks, but you can’t hop the front wheel.

Northwind

I don’t have a hoverbike! I’m at eyelevel for anything smaller than a truck, but most recumbents I’ve seen on the road have been below eyelevel for anything taller than a sports car.

martib

They are more popular across the Channel in Europe, used to regularly see them in Germany. I think the big problem in UK is lack of decent separate infrastructure. If they were on the UK road’s drivers just wouldn’t see them.

maccruiskeen

They are more popular across the Channel in Europe, used to regularly see them in Germany. I think the big problem in UK is lack of decent separate infrastructure. If they were on the UK road’s drivers just wouldn’t see them.

Echoing the UCI thing. The UCI isn’t very supportive of them in racing terms but that doesn’t stop any average joe from buying one and riding it to a cafe. The difference between us brits and riders on the continent is even though we’ve not had significant history in competition riding we have a fashion for only buy competition derived bikes for recreational and transportational cycling. We have fads of riding the wrong bike. Mountain biking took off when couriers bought them for riding in london, then track bikes took off for the same reason. Road bikes are fashionable now but their not really the most suitable bike for just riding along on the road unless the race organisers have fixed the potholes on the route. Cross bikes are in vogue now for no real practical reason.

What we’ve never really bought is transportational bikes for tranportational riding. Bikes you can ride to work without having to change your clothes when you get there, bikes you ride in a dress, bikes that you can comfortably ride from dusk til dawn. Ben sells the bikes that ordinary europeans ride, but in the UK its only the velovision subscriber base* that buys them.

* the sort of weidos that smile when they ride

bencooper
    Free Member

f they were on the UK road’s drivers just wouldn’t see them.

My 20+ years of riding them on UK roads, and selling them to other people who do the same, says differently 😉

How often have you been on the bike, a driver looks at you, and pulls out anyway? It’s happened to me quite a few times on upright bikes – never on recumbents. The one time I hit something – a taxi did a U-turn without looking and I piled into the back of him – I hit feet-first and was fine. If I’d been on an upright bike I’d have gon head-first into the back of the taxi or over it.

It’s all about the correct bicycle for the situation – folding bikes are great for packing away, cargo bikes are fantastic for carrying stuff, MTBs are great for messing about on rough stuff, recumbents are great for riding fast and far. Upright racing bikes aren’t actually especially good at anything, but if you like buying into the TdF hero worship, the mystique and the teams and the legends, they’re fun to buy to emulate your heroes.

plus-one

Lack of bunny hopping puts me right off recumbents….

bencooper
    Free Member

I used to be able to track stand mine 😀

Off-road you just have to pile into stuff and hope you bounce over. Tight, technical, hoppy stuff they won’t do obviously, but fast swoopy stuff is great fun. And using a trike to do three-wheel drifts around corners is just ridiculous 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

one word: kerbs.

jfletch
    Free Member

Upright racing bikes aren’t actually especially good at anything

For getting out on the roads/hills for a ride with your mates there is nothing better suited.

You’d be dumb to actually buy a race geometry bike if you don’t race but not all upright “racing” bikes are like that. In fact the trend at the moment is for more “endurance” type bikes that are comfier for you average Joe while still being fast and light.

righog
    Free Member

In a similar vein, why are there not more faired upright bikes. Sidewinds not withstanding they would be a laugh in a straight line.

Random internet picture.

jfletch
    Free Member

In a similar vein, why are there not more faired upright bikes.

Weight?

But also is that thing actually any more aero than a normal bike? The frontal area will be huge.

righog
    Free Member

^^ Motorbikes ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Same sorts of reasons.

1) banned by the UCI
    2) only works in limited situations, most races are won on the climbs where aerodynamics are a negligable factor, and downhill I imagine the extreme tucks you see are quite effective, and on the flat they ride in a pelaton, so only ~1in 10 would need the fairing.
    3) heavy, a motorbike fairing and all it’s faastenings probably weighs near enough what the racing bike does.
    4) motorbikes arent very aerdynamic compared to cars, what you need are smooth continuous surfaces to minimise turbulence and surface area. A fairing with a bloke satpedaling behind it with a ‘ft gap between them will be useless.

A bit like disk wheels.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t believe the ‘safer more visible bit’

1) Your head might be at or just below eye level of a driver, but on a normal bike your whole body and all its hi-viz whatever is in the plane of a driver’s vision, not just your relatively small head.

2) One of the things I rely on when riding my upright bike is precisely the fact that my head is higher than the tops of cars and I can see over them.

3) You’d be well below the door line of a van or lorry.

These things are what put me off. Sure I might be wrong, but I’m not going to spend £2k to find out. Experienced riders of recumbents will tell me that there’s no issue but I suspect there’s a lot of confirmation bias going on. Accident stats are going to be hard to come by because of the lack of riders.

I’ve ridden one for a short ride and it was bloody awful. However this was a high-up one and a design that I think is well known for being hard to ride. It took all my power to get up to 15mph on the flat.

But the other things that puts me off is the fact that I like the riding position of an upright bike. It’s not just about speed it’s about handling – I love the feeling of getting of the saddle and honking up something steep.

Upright racing bikes aren’t actually especially good at anything, but if you like buying into the TdF hero worship, the mystique and the teams and the legends, they’re fun to buy to emulate your heroes.

That’s just bullshit I’m afraid, and fairly insulting. When I bought my first road bike (£500 incidentally) I’d be hard pressed to name a single pro rider.

If you want to sell more recumbents might I suggest not trying to foster the ‘us’ and ‘them’ thing – it’s going to turn more people away than it’ll attract.

How often have you been on the bike, a driver looks at you, and pulls out anyway? It’s happened to me quite a few times on upright bikes – never on recumbents.

That happens, but there are also incidences where the bike is genuinely not visible.

molgrips
    Free Member

To the OP:

If recumbent bikes are that much faster/more efficient why are we not all riding them?

Why aren’t YOU riding one?

fasthaggis

I borrowed two recumbents for a while in London,a Kingcyle and a Windcheetah (no fairings).
    They were both very fast and I found that traffic gave me plenty of space .
    With the 3 wheeler though,you were right at exhaust level and can’t move around in stationary traffic that well.
    Although it was fun ,you never got the ‘at one with the bike’ feeling.
    The joystick steering felt strange ,and putting it up on two wheels was scary.
    Oh, and parking/storage could be a PITA.

The Kingcycle was good and at least it had proper handlebars .
    Very quick to get the hang of stop/starting,but not being able to move around as much does feel strange .I didn’t try any big hills,but I imagine you would just gear down and get on with it. They seem to be popular with Audaxers 😉

kcr
    Free Member

Most cyclists don’t even know that the UCI exists, so I don’t think the exclusion of recumbents from UCI sanctioned competitions is the principal reason for their rarity.

I think it’s simply that they are generally more expensive, more mechanically complex and just more of a niche product. If they were produced by mainstream manufacturers and were available in more shops, I’m sure we would see more out on the road, but I suspect they still wouldn’t capture the mass market. The conventional upright bicycle design works OK for most casual users.

eshershore
    Free Member

had a ride on this, awesome machine!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Recumbents aren’t cool, you only have to do an image search to work that out, they look ridiculous and will never be mainstream whichever way you try to gild the lily.

Trimix
    Free Member

Is that a gear stick ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is that a gear stick ?

no, she’s just really happy to see you

DrP

Off road issue sorted…

DrP

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is that a lock on the handlebars? 😆

DrP

I think it is!

However, even if it wasn’t locked, I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with it….!

DrP

thestabiliser
    Free Member

got his forks fitted at halfords i see

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Watching guy Martin, so a question?’ is closed to new replies.