Watchdogtrackworld – Sharp Energy Sales Practices

Home Forum Chat Forum Watchdogtrackworld – Sharp Energy Sales Practices

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Watchdogtrackworld – Sharp Energy Sales Practices
  • Freester

Apologies for the long post…

My mum has a small business, a shop. Recently she contacted her energy supplier (one of the big names) and negotiated a (hopefully) better contract.

Within a day or two (Tin Foil Hat time) someone contacted her about cheaper electricity and a few days after that she received a letter from BES Commercial Electricity Ltd.

This letter claims she entered a verbal agreement on the phone, they will be taking over her supply in January, the changeover is in process and will cost £400 to stop from happening now. The tone of the letter is quite threatening especially for my mum who is now nearly 70. Obviously she called them straightaway but got the same threatening tone that they would pursue and costs not paid etc etc.

So I’ve Googled BES and can’t find a lot of nice things said about them online. The above is standard practice for them it would appear if all on T’internet is true.

My understanding is distance selling regulations aren’t applicable to business, even if they were the standard 7 days is over. Unfortunately my mum doesn’t remember exactly what was said during the call (she’s had a few health issues, an operation, complications then fell over and broke her arm 🙁 so has had a lot on her mind).

So I think I’ll just write them a (recorded) letter, asking for evidence of the verbal agreement. If what I read on internet is true they may well come up with an edited or complete telephone recording.

I’ve told her NOT to hand out bank details, and call her current supplier and tell them she wants them to remain her supplier.

Any other suggestions (serious or otherwise) to get them off our backs…

ohnohesback

“A verbal agreement isn’t worth the paper it’s written on!” – Henry Ford.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

She didn’t sign anything? Then send them a recorded letter consisting of a simple, concise, yet pointed 7 letter, 2 word message. The second word is ‘off’

Freester

Yup my initial reaction but they’re prepared to play hardball and insist that a contract was entered verbally by keeping telephone conversation recordings.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

They can insist all they like. It’d be a brave man who entered into legal proceedings with nothing in writing. I reckon they’ll be bluffing, working on the assumption that a percentage will cave in, wheras I’d imagine the vast percentage will tell them right where to get off

I’d repeat the same 7 letter message, with the addition ‘see you in court’

I doubt you’ll hear much after that. You certainly won’t be seeing a court. Not without any written, signed contract

Freester

Yeh cheers I guess I got the frighteners as there are a fair few on t’internet who definitely did verbally agree then when they changed their mind got the whole story like my mum did above.

avdave2

We had 30 calls in a day after a new meter was installed in our new industrial unit. Each one claiming they were calling to register the meter. After the 5th call they all got the same response – 5 blokes screaming **** OFF at the top of our voices.

hora

Not just energy companies. Try business Insurance companies- we get at least 5 different ones aday. Many aggressive.

Tell this company NOT to call again. You already have a supplier. If not where will they stop? ‘Costs incurred so far ontop to recover’. Plus if you pay ‘cancellation’ they can also say you acknowledged the initial call?

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

Try contacting the proper electric supplier: someone’s urinating in their swimming pool, they may not like it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Watchdogtrackworld – Sharp Energy Sales Practices’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top