Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Watch Which?
  • 4130s0ul
    Free Member

I have a budget of £400-£450 to spend on a new watch for work and generally looking spiffing. Been looking at a few JDM watches and a Christopher Ward or two but am in need of a bit more inspiration as i’m not up to speed on too many brands.
    has anyone got any thoughts on CW watches or ideas as to what else i should be looking out for in this price range?

somewhere in and around this type of thing

Thanks 4130

Jakester
    Free Member

I find Christopher Ward an acquired taste. I have one of their Makaria Pro watches, but I fancied that precisely because it was so different to their usual stock in trade which is the sort of historic-type thing.

I like their Trident but it is an unashamed rip of the classic diver’s watch. Good prices in their sale though.

RustySpanner

Alpiniste?

Perfect with a black leather strap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    one_bad_mofo

After 20 plus years of not wearing a watch, I was given a Bering Titanium | 11937-007 for my birthday last year.

It’s a little below your price range but is very understated and wonderfully lightweight.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Or the Seiko SARG003 (compared to the Alpinist here):

MSP

Stop messing around, man the **** up, and get a fenix5.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I did look at the Alpiniste but i’m not really a fan of gold. which is unfortunate as it’s a lovely watch.
    One Bad Mofo, i like that, it’s very Skagen which is another brand i was looking at. but i fancy something a little more chunky (but not too chunky).

Jakester, i did see their Tridents were 30% off, that’s what got me looking around their site.

Thanks all, keep the ideas coming

lunge

Personally, I’d be looking at the Orient Watches on Creation Watches. Something like this perhaps:

Or this:

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Elliot Brown have released a few new models recently, well worth a look.

toby1

I have an Elliot Brown Canford for daily duties. I LOVE the styling and it’s slightly ott chunk.

It is expensive for a Quartz, but beautiful things are often more expensive. They are also lovely guys to deal with.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Thanks Ivan, i quite like the Canford, that’s another for the list

imn

No personal experience, but some of the Timefactors designs are nice, and reasonable value. How about their Black Shadow?

cheers_drive

I also have a Canford, lovely watch, only issue is the glass scratches easily.

Hadge
    Free Member

If you don’t mind used have a look at the Longines Hydroconquest. I had one and I think it’s a stunning watch. Classic looks, just like a Tudor/Rolex and has the lovely sweeping second hand too. You could find a mint one for that money. I wear a very nice TAG Aquaracer Calibre 16 every day and only sold the Longines because I couldn’t bare it just sitting on a watch winder even though I have other nice expensive watches doing the same.

beanum

In true recommend what you own fashion; you could have a look at Magrette. You need to put down a deposit and wait for them to make it but you get a good watch for the price imo. It all depends on whether or not you like the cushion case / Panerai look…

Magrette Timepieces

Otherwise, you might find some inspiration here:
    watch reviews under £500

Jakester
    Free Member

Oh, and Maranez have some really interesting stuff too – I considered them before buying the CW.

Jakester
    Free Member

beanum – Member
    In true recommend what you own fashion; you could have a look at Magrette. You need to put down a deposit and wait for them to make it but you get a good watch for the price imo. It all depends on whether or not you like the cushion case / Panerai look…

Magrette Timepieces

Hmm, those Magrette are nice..

nickdavies

There’s a lot of crap at that price point.
    Look at Tissot or Citizen for a decent brand with decent movement, neither will give you much issue. You may struggle with the styling you like – Citizen will be better for that, 6 year guarantee and no batteries, or you’ll get a Tissot automatic for that.

For left field, Magrette. Excellent watches for the money but you can’t try one on First unfortunately and there is a lead time.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

i am liking a few of the Magrettes, and i expected them to be a lot more expensive than they are which was a nice surprise.
    thanks for all the help, while more choice is just making it a more problematic decision it is good to see there’s more out there.

nickdavies

I’m orderig the blue magrette, not going to be here until May but I’ve fancied one for a while and for a small run watch, Swiss movement with titanium case and ceramic bezel, sapphire front and back it’s very good value for just over £500. Will knock spots off the £500 fashion watches.

failedengineer

Have a look at Certina and Hamilton. Both Swiss made and part of the Swatch/Omega group. Some nice automatics around or slightly less than £500. Uhrenlounge.de have good prices – I’ got a nice Certina DS Podium automatic for about £400 a couple of years ago.

selaciosa
    Free Member

at that budget you’re strictly in ‘fashion’ territory for anything new. In which case I’d just go for something nice, simple and cool like a Braun and pocket the rest of the cash.

If you’re keen on something decent and potentially different spend the time to dig out something from a proper brand. Here’s a very quick example… https://www.vestiairecollective.com/men-accessories/watches/iwc/silver-steel-iwc-porsche-design-iwc-2160799.shtml admittedly not to everyone’s taste, but shows that there’s stuff out there.

ElShalimo

Have a look at Steinhart and Junghans watches. They make some lovely watches in that price range

lunge

Look at Tissot or Citizen for a decent brand with decent movement

I’d agree with that and add Seiko and Orient too, very good watches at that price point.

mikertroid
    Free Member

For that budget I’d look no further than Seiko.

FWIW I recently bought a Seiko 5 SNZG17K for £135 as a daily beater for travelling and it’s a fantastic watch. They do some really nice watches for your money with more sophisticated movements but the 5 is perfect for my needs.

jerrys
    Free Member

Seiko SARB033 gets good reviews (lots of videos on youtube).

Nice classic design with a diameter of about 39mm. Some people don’t like the standard steel bracelet but I like mine. If you have massive wrists the bracelet won’t be big enough though as it is sized for the japanese domestic market,

You can find them for about £240 new on ebay.

Lionheart
    Free Member

So many at that price but I’d encourage you to look at Nite watches and Seikos at that price are impressive. Orient is part of Seiko and I’d challenge the comment above ‘at that price point it can only be about fashion…’ . I’d even go as far to say that above that price point it’s all about fashion!

CountZero

‘at that price point it can only be about fashion…’

Which begs the question, looking at the variety of different styles, which fashion are we talking about, exactly?
    I’d second (smirk) Seiko watches, because I’ve got two, currently wearing the SPORK, but it gets swapped for my Yema, and occasionally for the Seiko 5 mod, or my 80’s TAG Series 1000.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Another Elliot Brown Canford owner here.
    No issues at all and I love the quietly cool, understated styling

jamj1974

That Sekio Alpinist on the brown leather strap is s lovely looking watch. If I had spare cash – I would buy one based on the reputation and that picture.

Cougar

I can’t answer your question, but the first watch you posted is stylish and beautiful, and the second is gopping.

HTH.

ElShalimo

Citizen Eco-Drive Super Titanium Aw0060 looks nice to me

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I don’t want to like that Eco Drive due to all those angles but having seen it from other views it is growing on me.
    So far i’ve whittled it down to the CWard, EB Canford, Seiko SARB033 and one of those Mickey Mouse ones where his arms tell the time…. 😆

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’d go for a vintage Seiko 6139 like this…

70s watch perfection.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This thread piqued my interest and some fantasy eBay browsing. Does this represent value for money?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-WV-211B-Carrera-Automatic-Bracelet-Watch-excellent-quality-classic-/112742244615

essexbiker
    Free Member

There’s a few here for you to browse through £250-£400 watch reviews I have a G. Gerlach which are a bit left-field and great VFM and I do like the Melbourne Flinders

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Hamilton

Saccades
    Free Member

seiko watch finder

Use this to hunt through loads of Seikos range across the 5 main styles.

I’d be wary of anything from the Swatch group as they are limiting spares for repairs and increasing service costs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Watch Which?’ is closed to new replies.