Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • watch strap thingies?
  • ElShalimo

What’s the name of the part that retains the watch strap to stop it flapping all over once fastened? (The little bit of plastic you thread the loose end thru).
    Any ideas where to get a new one?
    The thingy on my everyday timex watch snapped yesterday and the strap end is loose ‘cos I’ve got lady wrists.

Candodavid
    Free Member

it’s called a strap keeper, may get one from your local Jewellers, they are available

bearnecessities

Doofer.

EDIT: Weak googling powers.

ElShalimo

thanks

mav12
    Free Member

rubber band

stu170
    Free Member

Laccy band or some leccy tape?

CountZero

You’ll probably find it easier and cheaper to just get a new strap, TBH. I doubt if anyone actually sells just the keepers, and straps aren’t that expensive. A nylon NATO strap has steel keepers, and will last for years without breaking.

freddyg
    Free Member

Yep. New strap from ebay <2£.

ElShalimo

Mine is an Ironman Triathlon with what appears to be an almost integrated band /bezel and a button too for add design stupidity
    Arse

CountZero

Mine is an Ironman Triathlon with what appears to be an almost integrated band /bezel and a button too for add design stupidity
    Arse

Ah, yes, I can see the issue there. You could find an old piece of leather from a scrap pair of shoes or bag or something, cut a thin strip long enough to go around the strap with a bit of overlap, and glue it with Evostik or similar. That would be my solution, anyway.

Ambrose

O ring.

CountZero

Right, so I did a quick Google for timex ironman straps, and found this on forum:slowtwitch.com:

Timex Ironman watch band keeper fix Quote | Reply
    Now on my ~4th Ironman watch – I love the functions, size, etc. but detest the wretched band “keeper”, the little rubber ring that holds the tail of the band in place. I lost two other perfectly good watches because of keeper failure, $40 watch plagued by a 2c piece of rubber!

When my 4th (and sworn LAST!) band keeper failed a week ago I finally found a cure after trying a bunch of fixes, nothing worked for long. What IS working (so far…): snip two thin (~5 mm wide) “rings” from a cast off butyl inner tube, make sure its a small diameter tube, like for a 23mm or less tire. Put both butyl rings next to each other on the band, in place of the keeper. One doesn’t work perfectly but two adjacent seem to help keep each other in place. Been working great, and cosmetically ~same as original. Needless to say, ya need the black band version to stay color coordinated.

CountZero

It certainly seems to be a common issue: http://lightpack.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/watch-band-hack.html
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/ForumThread.html?forumId=1&forumPage=1&threadId=199172
    You could get a Maratac NATO/ZULU nylon strap, and use the steel keepers, sacrificing the nylon strap. Just be sure the strap is the same width as your original strap!

ElShalimo

Thanks CZ
    I’ve emailed Timex to see if they can help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘watch strap thingies?’ is closed to new replies.