Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Watch recommendation – something I won't break…
  • clubber
    Free Member

Another watch broken…

So, what to replace it? I’d like something robust but smart enough that I can wear all the time, including at work. That probably means it’ll have to have a metal case and recessed face.

Budget up to £150(ish), ideally a good bit less unless it near indestructible.

I like classic analog watches but I haven’t seen anything that looks robust enough.

I don’t like Casio G-shocks unless they have less clunky looking versions now.

In many ways I like the look of the Suunto Core but I don’t need the watch to do more than tell the time, date and have a backlight so a Suunto is overkill.

Suggestions?

Jerome
    Free Member

Casio GW-M5610-1ER
    Too clunky ??

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bottom of the range Apeks divers watch. Glass is recessed. although Apeks is a diving brand, not as chunky as most divers watches. It’s the one I wear most just now and it’s taken a few dunts and still looks fine.
    Pretty plain, day/date, luminous hands and dots (not backlit)
    Around £70, or about £35 if you take out a sub to Dive magazine then cancel it as soon as the watch arrives.

clubber
    Free Member

That casio’s still a bit clunky/basic looking for me – reminds me of something I had in the 80s 🙂

The Apeks certainly looks promising.

peterfile
    Free Member

Clubber, if it’s any help, I’ve had that Core you posted since xmas.

It’s great (much more subtle than in the picture, the yellow marks are not anywhere near as bright).

It’s much lighter than I thought it would be.

I only use it for time/date/alarm and backlight 75% of the time, but if you spend any time out in the hills, the barometer and alitmeter are actually pretty handy and accurate.

Main thing for me is that it’s pretty bombproof. I’m forever whacking mine on rock when climbing or hitting it on bike parts when tinkering or putting it in the car etc and it still looks new.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

360 view here
    Bought from them before (not watch) – service was fine

Sui
    Free Member

traser watch – mine survived some interesting moments.. now got the commander 100 titanium, though that was a gift to replace my stolen :sob: P6504. saphire glass which is uber scratch resistant and it glows 🙂

IHN

You should be able to pick up a Seiko diver’s watch for about that money. Classic looking and tough as old boots. With a Stainless strap they also look reasonable bling if dat’s yo ting

lorax

I’ve got an Armourlite, £150 from Amazon. No need for a back light as the luminous tritium glows brightly without needing to be charged up by light. It’s nice and solid, with recessed glass, and mine has stood up very well to the daily bashing it gets. There are plenty of variants with different straps and faces on the Amazon website. I spent ages looking for a decent analogue watch with hands that I could read at night and I’m delighted with it – I’m now going to sell my Rolex!

toby1

I have the Suunto too – and although I don’t NEED all the features on it it is a lovely watch to wear.

It was also handy to answer the ‘how much further’ questions when going up Snowdon the other day. given that I’ve not calibrated it at all it was only 20m out at the summit!

clubber
    Free Member

thanks again all. some good leads.

any other suggestions from the nightshift?

faz083
    Free Member

suunto! Possibly one of the more basic models, if you don’t need fancy gadgets. Very solid watches which will take a beating, and look good at it.

RustyMac

You could look at some of the Seiko watches with sapphire crystal glass, you should be able to get a few stainless ones inside your buget and possibly even a titanium one or two.

Something like this maybe

http://www.yorkshirewatches.co.uk/product/Seiko_Kinetic_Full_Titanium_Sapphire_SKA483P1_SKA483

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Another vote for Seiko divers watch here. I’ve had one for ten years and barely taken it off in all that time, it’s been in the sea, swimming pools, bounced off trees, drowned in mud, and everything else it could have thrown at it and it’ hardly has a mark on it. It’s still smart enough to wear with a suit!

kimbers

maybe not exclusive enough for ya (i have a gshock)

but my old animal watch lasted yonks the surfmaster looks quite nice

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kimbers, I’ve still got a couple of Animal W001s in fine fettle.

clubber
    Free Member

I have a w001 in a drawer too – just got bored of it and I didn’t really like the straps as they started to smell…

Kimbers – my dislike of g shocks is purely aesthetic 😉

I don’t need a niche watch, just something that meets the list at the top

DT78
    Free Member

Very happy with my seiko monster (orange face) bought to replace a gshock that finally died after 12 years.

Don’t get the metal strap, feels cheap and nasty imo (compared to my other watches). Ended up buying a black rubber strap for £6.50 feels much nicer and looks good too.

rob2
    Free Member

+1 (should that be3?) for suunto.

I have a vector and its lush. I find myself logging air pressure and looking at altitude all the time.

But i’d get a core as the vector has a plastic face which marks, but they are light, easy to read, comfy. love it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a basic suunto which is pretty durable and has survived more than a few crashes on the bike and whilst skiing (note i wear it under a jacket or long sleeved base layer most of the time). Has compass and altimiter which are useful.

clubber
    Free Member

I do really like the suunto I posted a pic of but it’s min £183 which I more than I want to spend given my record of trashing them….

admittedly I have seen the non black face one for 150 but it doesn’t look as nice… hmmm…

Swelper
    Free Member

Try these bad boys, hard as nails, i had one you years when sailing and on the Lifeboat. Indestructible

Gul Watches

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have a Suunto T6c and a Seiko Sportura watch. In terms of durability the Seiko is way in front of the Suunto. The Seiko is still like new, within the first week of purchasing it i caught it on an office door handle. Looking at it, it was covered with metal filings that I assumed was from the watch, on cleaning the watch I realised it was from the door handle the watch was unmarked as it still is years after.

fivespot
    Free Member

I’ve had one of those Seiko divers Kinetic watches for over 20 years, worn every day, and still keeps perfect time 😉

geoffj

Seiko Auromatic Diver

rudebwoy
    Free Member

what do you want a watch for ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just don’t wear one. You’ll soon learn to tell the time to within 15 minutes anyway.

CountZero

what do you want a watch for ?

That’s a trick question, right?

Davesport

If the size & shape of the Suunto appeals, how about the Uzi Guardian ? Approx 30 quid from Cadet Direct. Similar functions to a Gshock, backlight etc.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have one of these:

Seiko Arctura

It has a rubber strap, but looks pretty smart, and is practical for wearing while road riding as well.

nicko74

Seiko Auromatic Diver

mmmm… smells tasty! 😉

Loving the look of that Suunto. How hardwearing would you say it is – would you wear it out on the mtb (if you were in the habit of wearing watches on the trail, which I don’t)?

hora
    Free Member

Momentum’s

toby1

I’ve been wearing the Suunto Core for about a month, so longevity isn’t something I can claim to know too much about yet. The only, very minor, damage it has thus far received is some tiny marking on the bezel which is painted black. This is from contact with the very abrasive brick wall between the house and garage though, I’d expect very little to survive a brush with that wall though.

Aside from that the strap seems flexible enough to be resilient and the pin that closes the strap is wide enough to not provide excessive stress on the strap.

I have worn it in the shower, riding and walking so far and it’s doing really well, not had a watch this comfy and well used for a long time.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for the Seiko divers watch, I picked mine up for about £100 ten years ago. Since then it’s been bashed, dropped, crashed and generally neglected. It’s not showing any signs of wear, although it is on its second rubber strap.

It’s automatic, keeps great time and has never been serviced. It doesn’t need it.

Classic looks and a quality product. What more could you ask for?

rockhopperbike

got this Casio, domed glass, but as it was cheap I thought I would try it – may have to polish the glass ina year or two, but no worries, the backlight is good enough to use as a torch when coming home late!

casio

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Capt Zero- not a trick question, i gave them up decades ago, as deadlydarcy says you soon learn how to gauge time, its an inbuilt sense we all have but neglect, i can usually get within five minutes any time day or night, besides there are multiple devices that have time on them all around us, so unless his job/situation required accurate timekeeping its all a bit academic ,non?

JonW
    Free Member

Look at Creation Watches if you do go for the Seiko divers; brings it under your budget.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Capt Zero- not a trick question, i gave them up decades ago, as deadlydarcy says you soon learn how to gauge time, its an inbuilt sense we all have but neglect, i can usually get within five minutes any time day or night, besides there are multiple devices that have time on them all around us, so unless his job/situation required accurate timekeeping its all a bit academic ,non?

Having spent the last 10 years without a watch I have to agree with this statement, especially when we are never more than a couple feet from a mobile phone with the time on it.
    However, for some reason I bought a classic casio a couple months ago and to be honest, my time keeping has improved slightly as a result..and it’s more convenient than grabbing and unlocking my phone. Your body clock is suitable for 90% of situations though IMO.

swings & roundabouts.
    I just dont get the whole ‘jewellery’ aspect of watches is all. But then, most watches are fugly and I wouldnt want to carry them on my wrist 24/7 for that reason.
    Sometimes you see one that just appeals and it all goes a bit ”oooh, I like that!”

rudebwoy
    Free Member

they have become status symbols, or in most cases fashion accessories that have no real use— on the scale of things fairly harmless, but a multi billion pound industry lives off these objects…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Watch recommendation – something I won't break…’ is closed to new replies.