• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tron.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Watch question.
  • zippykona

I rarely wear a watch but when I do need one invariably the battery is flat.
    So going for a non battery one.
    The jewellers next door to our shop has an auto wind Seiko and also a solar powered version.
    Solar is £70 pound more ,does it do anything the wind up one doesn’t?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

If you rarely wear a watch an automatic will need winding and setting everytime you choose to wear it.
    The mechanism relies on your movement to keep wound. I think the reserve is about 48hrs on most auto’s.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My Seiko kenetic has a 6 month power reserve so it’s unlikely to go flat.

cranberry
    Free Member

Solar powered, radio-controlled watches are, IMHO, exactly how watches are meant to be – they never run out of power and always show the exact time.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

All my watches are autos and I see the setting and winding each time as a kind of ritual for me. I should invest in a winder box I suppose.

zippykona

I spent my childhood winding a watch, sure I’ve not lost the skill!
    Shall pocket the £70 instead.

StirlingCrispin

If the auto has a date this will be out if you let it go to sleep.
    So I’d go for the solar.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

if you are after a seiko have a look at creation watches I have bought loads from them and never had a problem. You can save a decent amount on an auto and some lovely dive watches on their site

sweepy
    Free Member

I rarely wear a watch and got an automatic Seiko for when I do.
    Don’t do it, its a bloody nuisance having to set it all the time.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I always wear a watch, a Seiko 5 which is automatic (about a day of reserve and £50 up) as opposed to their kinetic (months of reserve and £00’s). I love it but resetting the date is a pain and I wouldn’t want to be doing it every time I put it on.

wilburt
    Free Member

Mechanical watches are beautiful things and i love mine but as far as time keeping goes your better of with a £20 Lorus and the battery should last years.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve had the same battery in my G-Shock for about 10 years. How invariable is your watch wearing?

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I have both a seiko automatic (monster) and a seiko solar pilot.

These days I hardly ever use the automatic as it has to be worn every day to keep its charge. The pilot is more useable due to it still working despite being left on the bedside table all weekend.

+1 for creation watches they are great value for money and a good turnaround time on the pilot when I ordered it.

zippykona

Have seen a solar G Shock for £67. If I left it in a drawer and it went totally flat what would you do then?
    Is it best then to leave it on a window sill?
    I wear a watch about 4 times a year. Not often but it’s a pain when it’s not there.

superleggero
    Free Member

+1 for solar powered radio controlled watches.

I’ve been wearing a Citizen divers style one for the last five years and it’s been faultless. Citizen uses the terms ‘Eco Drive’ to denote the watch is solar powered, and ‘Atomic’ to denote radio controlled timekeeping capability.

It has a 6 month power reserve and the radio controlled bit means it corrects itself by automatically picking up a radio time signal broadcast from an atomic clock and synchronising to maintain accuracy. It also automatically goes an hour forwards/backwards when the clocks change for summer/winter time. Haven’t had to make any adjustments since the day I bought it and it’s still accurate to the second.

In summary:
    – no battery
    – no maintenance
    – self powering (through solar panel in watch face)
    – long power reserve (6 months)
    – sets itself
    – always accurate (to the second)

As well as Citizen, Seiko and Casio do similar types of watches so there’s plenty of choice re styles and prices. Plenty of discounts too if you hunt around.

grim168
    Free Member

Just got a seiko kinetic divers from sky watches in singapore. Bargain prices but did get caught with import duty. Cheaper than creation watches too.

digga
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Have seen a solar G Shock for £67. If I left it in a drawer and it went totally flat what would you do then?

Yes and even if you have a rottweiller who eats rubber watch straps, you can buy spares at a reasonable price.

TBF, anywhere vagyely light in a room is good enough.

zippykona

Ok ,obviously the way to go is solar.
    Being picky I would now like a canvas strap,some sort of illumination ,to be able to swim in and no more than £70.
    As an aside the seiko I was looking at was waterproof to about 3 miles down but not suitable for swimming!
    Hands, I want hands.

superleggero
    Free Member

Just seen your post OP:

I wear a watch about 4 times a year. Not often but it’s a pain when it’s not there.

Wearing it just four times a year should be fine. Despite the variable performance of other solar powered devices, these watches are incredibly efficient and don’t need that much light to function and hold their ‘charge’ for ages. They will also draw power from artificial light as well as sunlight.

Might be worth checking what the power reserve is on the Casio. I’m guessing it’ll probably be about 6 months like my watch. Doesn’t necessarily need to be on a window sill in full sunlight. Best stored out of a drawer though, preferably in relatively bright room I would suggest.

In answer to your question about what happens if in the unlikely event the watch goes flat, if it has radio controlled timekeeping (see my earlier post on this) as well as solar power, as it charges up again it will reset itself with the correct time and date.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Just got a seiko kinetic divers from sky watches in singapore. Bargain prices but did get caught with import duty. Cheaper than creation watches too.

Cheaper than Creation after you factor in the import duty? I only ask because I’ve bought lots of times from Creation and never incurred import duty for my ‘measuring device’.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Any solar powered G-shock (radio timing or not) would be just fine for occasional use and it won’t go flat providing you don’t leave it in a drawer for months on end. I do like the radio controlled ones and actually use a radio controlled G-shock as a reference for setting all my other mechanical watches. But even the standard quartz movements are pretty accurate in their own right. Certainly much better than mechanical autos in this respect.

superleggero
    Free Member

Moshimonster, you have proved the old cliche : so accurate you can set your watch by it!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

For 4 times a year… Can’t you a) look at your phone, b) just ask someone what time it is c) put a stick in the ground and monitor the shadow’s movement?

moshimonster
    Free Member

For 4 times a year… Can’t you a) look at your phone, b) just ask someone what time it is c) put a stick in the ground and monitor the shadow’s movement?

The fact that he says he only “needs” to wear a watch about 4 times a year kind of implies other convenient means of telling the time are not practical at those specific times. Maybe he’s an astronaut or something?

I’m intrigued now!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

4 times a year
    No-one else around
    No clock / computer / phone

You’re a naughty prisoner who ends up in solitary 4 ish times a year?

grantway
    Free Member

Like Ravey Davey says Creation Watches
    This is where I have bought Two of my work watches and very reliable service too.

tron
    Free Member

Casio F91 or A168 if you want a little bling. My gold one cost 15 quid or so from Singapore. Batteries last 7 years…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Watch question.’ is closed to new replies.