Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Watch peeps – ETA 2824 action
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Rummaging around in a draw ive just found an old Paul Smith auto watch, one of the numbers has fallen off so I thought id attempt a disassemble assuming it to be of no great quality. A quick youtube video shows that I have an ETA 2824 25 jewel action. Which seemingly is a decent movement that is widely used.
    So my question is, is it worth pulling it apart and fitting it into a new body, as the PS one if ****. And if so where do I start looking for a body?

Defender
    Free Member

ETA are a well respected movement manufacturer and the 2824 is a good movement, so yes it worth getting it sorted out.
    However I would recommend get a grown up to do it, Roy Taylor of RLT watches and uses these movements in his own watches.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Wheres the fun in getting a grown up to do it? It already in pieces.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tron
    Free Member

Yes, you can put a 2824 in a new case. You’d basically be doing what a lot of seiko modders do – leaving the mechanical parts well alone and changing the cosmetics.

Raffles time sell new cases, dials etc. Dagaz also sell hands to fit ETA movements. There are a number of ETA clones available which means there will be plenty of bits available.

The key things are that dials tend to fit a range of movements, hands tend to be specific to a few brands, and the case needs to be physically big enough to hold the movement.

If I were you I’d build a nice 60s style diver.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I do fancy something relatively waterproof and chunky.

Raffles is USA or is there a UK one im missing?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Great movement, worth keeping… Although the movement can be had new for only about £80 so don’t fret if it goes badly.
    Raffles and various eBay sellers eg Helenarou (for Rolex sub clone cases).

How about a 5510 bond sub?

tron
    Free Member

Almost all bits for watch meddling come from the far east, prices are usually in USD. I would suggest joining a watch site and getting a shopping list together along with where you want to source the parts from. There is a massive amount that can be done just by changing the dial and hands and the finish of the case (ie brushed or bead blated). The case is one of the more expensive parts when bought alone, so it’s usually simplest just to get a case style you like first.

That said, you may be able to buy something like an Invicta 8926, sell the Seiko movement and then fit your ETA movement to the case. That could make for a nice Tudor homage with the right movement but not quite right case…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The cases are worth more than the movement it would seem.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just had a look and like the look of the Invicta, I assume there are a lot of fakes out there with the £60 price tag.

I assume the cases are rubbish and not worth swapping out the action?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Watch peeps – ETA 2824 action’ is closed to new replies.