Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Watch gnar
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I look at the various watch threads out of interest. I like reliable watches that look cool (to me) for reasonable money.

Some poseurs like to spend ££KKK on Omega Seamasters etc – each to their own!

But WTF is it with the “I must have a watch that will survive nuclear war as I wear G-shocks but break them regularly” crowd?

I mean check out this quote from a recent thread:

I have one of these for work. Used and abused it for 4 years now in various fights, roll arounds and crappy conditions and its still going strong. If you have a hunt about you can get them cheaper or get the newer version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-Men-G-SHOCK-200M-Sport-Watch-NEW-Warranty-G510D-G-510D-1A-/360603926123?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item53f5ab3e6b

bencooper
    Free Member

I have a titanium-cased watch with a crystal face, and solar power – it’ll survive being driven over by a car, and probably a small nuclear blast.

However, I take it off in the bath.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you sleep with a gun under your bed?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

it’ll survive being driven over by a car, and probably a small nuclear blast.

handy, will it help you survive the blast?

bencooper
    Free Member

I think perhaps my point has been missed – I didn’t buy it for those features, I bought it because it doesn’t need a battery, it’s got a compass and it’s cheap.

It’s like SUVs – buying a vehicle that can cross rivers and climb mountains, and using it for the school run.

thehustler
    Free Member

i have this one used abused and survived………

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I kill watches. Just being near me seems to cause even half-decent ones to explode and die. I’m not quite sure what I do to them, it isn’t intentional. Perhaps I’m just a total clutz?

Then, my best mate bought me one of these for my 30th (thanks mate!). It’s not built for nuclear explosions, but is – apparently – really well made. Crystal glass, etc… 5 years on and the the thing barely has a mark on it, despite being around me all that time. Which is, quite frankly amazing.. It is utterly bombproof.

scotroutes

I haven’t broken a watch in 20 years or more.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I only crack the glasses or scuff them up so bad that they need replacing-with the exception of my trusty Casio G-Shock,all my other watches I ebayed and got enough money together to have my other favourite watch serviced a Nite gunmetal MX10.
    Nite for daily wear,G-Shock for riding the bike, car fixing or other violent activities unless I forget I have the Nite on.
    Watches are like bikes IMO, no point in having them if you aint going to use them or are that worried about a scuff mark here and there.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Fin.

CountZero

As Suggsey says, my Seiko is a very tough watch, but I bought it with money left me by my mum, so I rather treasure it, and there are occasions at work when I have to operate machinery with lots of exposed machined steel. I’ve turned and caught the watch on exposed corners, fortunately not causing any damage, so I’ve now got a nice, simple G-Shock, which has a recessed glass, and is just plain black plastic, so it doesn’t matter if it gets bashed and scarred while dismantling the bloody machine next time stuff gets jammed in it.
    The Seiko’s my evening and weekend watch now, more than tough enough for going biking or whatever else I do, just not being shoved inside a folding machine. 😀

Kryton57

Funnily enough this mornings thread reminded me I had a g shock floating about somewhere which I found and am wearing now. It’s a £75 watch which I got for £30 off eBay 4 years ago.

As count zero says its perfect for wearing when fettling / gardening / biking / camping / decorating etc whilst the posh wedding present gets used at other times and with my suit for work. It’s handy to be able to tell the time and not have to worry about damaging it, but you don’t have to spend a fortune or buy the equivalent of a Hummer.

Kuco

Got a cheap Timex Expedition watch had it about 4 years now and i’ve replaced the strap when the original broke and I replaced it with an old Road ID strap which seems to be going well, ware it every day for work.

Keep looking at a new watch and I like something like a G-shock with just a basic watch face without all the other dials in the background.

CountZero

Kuko, you want one of these:

G101-1. Discontinued, but you can still find them, that one only arrived a week ago from Hong Kong, but I’ve seen them on Amazon. There’s also the G100 as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Watch gnar’ is closed to new replies.