Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Watch for running interval training?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m thinking of starting duathlons next year, and will be following trainerroad training plans.

The bike part is obviously fine, but the training runs are fairly structured and I’m not sure how to best implement this while out.

An example run is: 10 mins warmup RPE4, 12x30s RPE9 with 30s of walking/jogging RPE2 between, 10 mins RPE4 cool down.

Do watches like the garmin forerunner make it easy to follow such a set of intervals?

My initial thinking is to just write it on my hand and try to check the time as I do them but I’m not sure if that’ll work very well.

I usually have my (android) phone + headphones for music, can something like strava or runkeeper give you the cues you need over the headphones?

sarkmeister
    Free Member

I’ve got a Garmin 910XT that allows you to set custom intervals like the ones above. It basically beeps/vibrates and displays a message at the start and finish of each interval. Intervals can be either time or distance.

You can then analyse the times for each section in the garmin software if you want (this interval info doesnt transfer across to Strava etc IIRC though).

It’s a few years old now so I assume the newer ones will as well.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve been googling a bit more, looks like irunsmooth is the ideal thing, except its for iOS. doh.

Can’t seem to find an android equivalent…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mogrim

The cheaper Garmins can’t (or at least couldn’t) be programmed with custom workouts, you had to go higher up the range. Before splashing out I’d check DC Rainmaker’s blog to see if it’s still the case.

Endomondo will do intervals on a phone: https://support.endomondo.com/hc/en-us/articles/202225538-Interval-Training

bullroar
    Free Member

I use a Polar M400 that allows you to set up intervals for distance or time for heart rate zones.

Before that I just used a timer app on my phone that sounded an alarm at the end of each interval. Was a bit clunky but worked. Another cheap and cheerful way is something like one of these timers. I used one when I had to time some physio exercises and ended up using it for running also.

rossburton
    Free Member

Garmin 610 is cheap as chips on eBay these days and can do custom intervals.

CraigW
    Free Member

There are a few Android apps, just search for “interval timer” on Google Play. eg https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cc.dreamspark.intervaltimer

cheekyboy
    Free Member
    stevious

I find following workouts from my Garmin a PITA on the bike. I use some generic interval timer on my phone to beep when I need to move to the next thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Watch for running interval training?’ is closed to new replies.