Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Watch Fans – SEIKO AUTOMATIC STEEL DIVER WATCH 200M SKX007 SKX007K2
  • geoffj

I'm considering buying one of

What is the STW hive mind's view / experience from a reliability perspective. I can't justify more than about £200, but are there any others to consider?

I'm quite taken by the design classic look of this.

monkeychild
    Free Member

If iirc when I was mooching about for a new watch. These seemed to get get good feedback. Check out the watch forum on pistonheads.

hora
    Free Member

Its very nice however I'd glance at it and ask if its a Rolex/copy etc. It just looks too similar IMO.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigG
    Free Member

I've had one for about seven years, use it as my knocking about, cycling, climbing etc watch. It's taken a few good knocks and never missed a beat,

I'd highly recommend one.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

They are quite popular with watch forums, and change hands quite often 2nd hand but you need to be fast to get one 2nd hand as people are always snapping them up.

Or you could get one on ebay for about £125 new. Think there was 1 UK seller and one Singapore seller doing them at this price.

Have a look on TZ-UK forums, you can view the classifieds and PM the seller but you can't post on the classifieds until you have 50+ posts IIRC

I bought a Seiko Diver's watch in 1993.

Still going strong now. Just have to change the battery every 4 or 5 years.

Needed new glass after I cracked it in a bike crash.

Seikos have a really good/secure clasp design. Much better than watches that cost 3 or 4 times more.

djglover
    Free Member

Only one thing worse than a fake rolex, thats a real one

Woody
    Free Member

Can't go wrong with the Seiko Divers. I have 2, a 7S26-7039 and a 'Black Monster' which I bought last year and can't make up my mind whether I like or not but it never misses a beat.

Roy Taylor has some lovely watches sub £200, the The O & W Divers HERE are in the same vein.

Some more options HERE. A bit above what you wanted to spend but the PRS3 is stunning value for the spec. I bought a yellow one and it looks much better on the wrist than in the pics.

boblo
    Free Member

Yep, Roly copy. Why? I have a Seiko Divers watch, this one:

It aint no Roly. I'd rather have a real Submariner/Sea Dweller than a Jap copy watch.

qcamel
    Free Member

"Only one thing worse than a fake rolex, thats a real one"

Well theres an opinion…Your looking a little green there mate.. :mrgreen:

sc-xc

I wear a Rolex sometimes, my late grandpa's 1950's Air King. It makes me smile when I look at it.

catfood
    Free Member

Ive got one and its perfect for cycling, dead simple, kinetic, robust, waterproof and shockproof, you should be able to get one new for not much more than a hundred quid from ebay but beware there are lots of fake Seiko divers about. Personally Id go for a rubber strapped one tho.

MikeG

I got one a couple of years ago from ebay, can't remember the seller but they were recommended on a couple of the watch forums, it's a lovely watch nice size and weight and well finished. The only problem with mine is that it gains about 3 mins a month. At some point I'll get it calibrated but it's not that much of a big deal.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I got a Seiko for my 18th birthday (man that was a long time ago!) and I still really like it.

Lately though I'm wearing a Nite MX50 – it's really nice too, very heavy.

hora
    Free Member

All watches are good. A mans collection should be wide and very diverse 😀

jahwomble
    Free Member

I'm sat here now wearing a seiko no5 21jgt5 with a 6119 self winding movement, made in 1970 for my dad.Had it serviced about ten years ago.Been fine. love it. would happily buy a new seiko except my thirty nine year old one is still going strong and seems to be pretty much indestructible, so I dont really need to.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I'm sitting here wearing my Seiko Orange Monster:

Very nice watch. I also have a Seiko titanium black samurai:

Which, if I'm honest I prefer. I did however have to put it in for a service last year as it was losing a lot of time (that said I don't know how well it was looked after prior to me buying it as I bought it second hand from a watch forum)
    Value for money wise Seiko are very good IMO.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Seiko make some great watches. I think they are one of only two watch companies that make everything, including the oil to lubricate the movement. So better than Rolex on that score. You wont go wrong with one of their cheap automatics.

I quite fancy getting a customised one. Something simple like this:

or this one:

hora
    Free Member

matthewjb those are STUNNING. Especially the first one. What are the model numbers?

Rolls
    Free Member

Won't go wrong with a Monster IMO – i've got one, and want to get hold of a black / night monster at some point too!

johnners
    Free Member

Won't go wrong with a Monster IMO

Unless you want to wear it with a shirt. It'll destroy the cuff.

I like mine, but it's certainly not suitable as a dress watch, doesn't keep great time either but I suppose we're all too used to quartz these days.

loddrik
    Free Member

Seikos are highly regarded amongst watch entusiasts, I was very surprised. Then I discovered the really high end stuff they do such as the Grand Seikos and Spring Drives which are both more expensive and better engineered than equivalent rolexes etc. The Seiko Marinemaster MM300 is as highly regarded a dive watch as you will find anywhere and really keep their value well, if you can even find one that is…

I used to think that Seiko was cheap jap stuff, oh how wrong I was!

boblo
    Free Member

matthewjb – Member
    Seiko make some great watches. I think they are one of only two watch companies that make everything, including the oil to lubricate the movement. So better than Rolex on that score. You wont go wrong with one of their cheap automatics.

If they are that good (and 'better' than Roly), why do they feel the need to copy the Roly bracelet (i.e. the second of your two pics…)?

I like Seiko and I like Roly (I have both as well as Omega and Breitling) but, I will never confuse good quality Japanese engineering with high end Swiss stuff regardless of who makes the oil…

allthepies
    Free Member

Never realised there were so many working in the diving industry on here.

zaskar
    Free Member

Never knew there were so many divers!

I bought a Titanium Seiko kinetic (self charging) watch for my Dad and loves it.

£600 but I paid £500ish for it by haggling in a shop.

Personally I go through watches like matches and never buy expensive watches for myself as I break them easily when crashing my bike.

M6TTF
    Free Member

I got one of these when i was 25 – keeps good time and never needed for anythng. It's titanium so it's really light and solar so never needs opening up

johnners
    Free Member

Never realised there were so many working in the diving industry on here

The nearest mine's ben to diving is in the bath, but I suspect that's what you're getting at!

Should the need arise though, I'm poised to go to 200m…

hora
    Free Member

The irony is matey of mine works for a diving company and tests all the wet suits/new to market rebreathers etc (like a tester for mbr I guess) yet all the diving watches he has are all well under £100.

😆

I can't talk though. I own a Suunto S3 (7yr old and going strong) 😀

boblo
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    Never realised there were so many working in the diving industry on here.

He he, indeed 🙂

I dive but not with my expensive Swiss afectations. The Seiko has been with me on all my dives – well over 1000 now. That's why I bought it with a rubber strap i.e. no wet/drysuit chafing 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Still, diving or not, a nice watch is ace.

matthewjb
    Free Member

matthewjb those are STUNNING. Especially the first one. What are the model numbers?

They are modified Seikos made by Yobokies. The black one is $230.

He's got a webpage here with some examples of what he can do. I sent him an email for a quote.

chewkw
    Free Member

I bought my Seiko (4R16A) at Durham for half price (£137) just before Xmas 2009.

Just like this one (pic from the watch forum not mine).

Seiko

Some say it is just a revamp of 7S26 but so long as it is accurate, so far so good, I am happy.

Was thinking about Monster before but I could not find any.

🙂

P/s: I think Pulsar & Lorus are also using same Seiko caliber?

John_Key
    Free Member

Seiko do nice watches. I have a version of the divers watch which is a 25th anniversary durace watch which is a numbered Seiko Divers watch but with Shimano and Durace on the face. It is self winding and I've had it for more than 10 years. Great bit of kit

I_Ache
    Free Member

Real nichemongers wear Titanium Seikos 😀

I love mine its so light I sometimes forget its there.

Not a very good pic just found it on google.

ourmaninthenorth

OK, so how do I find out the model of Seiko I was bought for my 21st birthday?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

OK, so how do I find out the model of Seiko I was bought for my 21st birthday?

should be written on the back of the watch?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really like the Seiko Pro Divers line really nice, fat watches.

I think the Swiss have managed something of a marketing coup by persuading the world they make the best watches. I think there are several German brands that are at least as good and in terms of VFM Japanese watches are unbeatable.

This is a nice dive watch for not stupid money…

I was singularly un impressed with the quality of rolex watches. I had a good long look at one recentely and the indices did not line up and the casework was unimpressive.

simon_g

Can't go wrong with Seiko autos really – I've got a couple of them. Usual daily wear is a Citizen promaster titanium thing though – similarly nice, not too big, not flashy, auto, and was under £100.

I do dive (and it comes with me) but dive watches are ideal if you just want something tough and waterproof but don't want an ugly plastic wart like a g-shock on your wrist.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This is a nice dive watch for not stupid money..

It is over a grand!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Watch Fans – SEIKO AUTOMATIC STEEL DIVER WATCH 200M SKX007 SKX007K2’ is closed to new replies.