Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Watch enthusiasts – advice and opinions please
  • kilo

nice watch, loose the livestrong band though 😉

neilnevill
    Free Member

Noooo! Been wearing that for err…must be…err…8 or 9 years?? I’m amazed it is still in one piece!

oyon
    Free Member

Not sure if Steinhart have been mentioned here.

Some people get sniffy about them because they are quite “homage” based but if you like Rolex stainless sport models then you could do a lot worse (ETA/sapphire/superluminova) for the money.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de

Other lust-worthy objects Sinn, Benarus etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilnevill
    Free Member

okay Rusty, does this one do it for you?

I am trending back to the Omega Seamaster as :
    1. I like the look a lot
    2. They have the coaxial escapement – a more accurate movement which requires less servicing (saves money over time)
    3. Omega seem better VHM than Rolex

Of the Seamasters, only 2 fit my slim wrists.
    1 the 300M chrono comes in a 36.25mm case and looks good, costs £2400-2700 rrp
    2. the planet ocean……ladies version 😳 ….well..why not? It is the same as the mens version, just smaller at 37.5mm and a good fit for me.

I think I prefer the planet ocean over the 300m, as
    1. it has a better movement, the 8520 calibre (Omegas movment) not the 2500 calibre (a modified ETA fitted with the co-axial escapement)
    2. The movment gets shown off with a saphire glass back….the engineer in me gets to see how it all works 😀
    On the downside…the planet ocean is a grand more at £3700….but still £1600 less than the Submariner from Rolex which is the other contender.

so…. my current favourite

It think the market for watches is slow currently. I check 4 bond/oxford street dealers last week and the Submarner no lnger has a waiting list, 2 had a watch in stock, the others would get me one in 4 to 6 weeks.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

ALot of nice watches on this thread.

I think you should get the Planet Ocean. Rolex fans will argue to the death, but the Omega is the better watch. Movemen and finish wise. Rolex bracelets are shit aswell.

The bracelets on this 36mm beauty is a cracker. It doesn’t get much comfier! I have the full size version and it is by far my favourite watch.

http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/swisswatches/2222_80_00-mens_watches.html

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

To the OP – run away from this thread asap – It’s because of a similar thread in STW that I’m now the owner of 3 vintage Omegas 😀 from a period in the 70’s when Omega were untouchable for watch design.

Omega Constellation Stardust cal 1510

One of the most accurate watches ever made – and back in 1974 – quite amazing, mine is running at +6sec a YEAR…… at it’s heart is a quartz oscillator at 2.4mhz – as compared to the usual 32khz. The dial is something else – it’s sprinkled with crystals that catch the sunlight, a bit bling – but subtle way.

I now have my eye on one of these:

Omega Time Computer I from 1972

bencooper
    Free Member

The Time Computer is alright, but not a patch on a HP-01:

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

the HP is cool – but out of my league price wise and in my opinion suffers from too many buttons and just looks cluttered – whereas the Omega has an elegant simplicity to it, just one button, – a design philosophy that I think Apple have emulated very well.

bencooper
    Free Member

But it can do calculations on time itself 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hold it hold it….this is a thread on mechanical watches….leave your quartz watches at the door please 😉

the planet ocean is my choice currently. That may change, last week when I thought the waiting time for a Submariner was 1 to 2 years, I was ready to place an order…luckily I’ve still got 17 months before my 40th so I can keep looking, keep thinking and enjoying the choosing

Are websites like swisswatchesdirect and iconicwatches trustworthy? I’m sure there are plenty of trustworthy web retailers, but I’d want to be sure before I used one….but after failing to get any kind of warm glow from Selfridges Time2, watches of Switzerland or ernest jones last week I feel no partiular reason to go to a high street shop

chewkw
    Free Member

I want this …

😯

Hadge
    Free Member

I don’t have big wrists but I wear a TAG F1 as my everyday watch and it’s a 44mm case and it looks fine honestly. Yeah it’s a quartz watch but it doesn’t break the bank and keeps very very good time which is exactly what it’s meant to do. I have quite a few TAG’s including auto’s like Monaco and Carrera’s and really do like the brand.

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Watch enthusiasts – advice and opinions please’ is closed to new replies.