Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Watch Aficionados Help! (I know there's a few on here)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

My omega is losing time of about 4 seconds a day, I appreciate it’s an automatic movement but this seems a bit much to me. Only 7 1/2 months old from new and it started out pretty accurate. Spoke to the jewellers and they’re happy to send it away for “tests” but it will be gone for 10 to 12 weeks which I think is somewhat taking the Mick!! Anyone else had issues like this??

woffle
    Free Member

Personally I’d take it a local watchsmith and have it looked at / serviced – shouldn’t cost too much and it’ll be a whole lot quicker than 10 to 12 weeks. Not sure if that would affect warranties etc, though I imagine it probably would…

demonracer

It probably just needs regulating, automatics accuracy changes once it has “worn in”. +1 for go local, will be quicker and cheaper!

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

If you take your Omega to an independant watchsmiths and they open the caseback it will void your warranty, so I would avoid doing this at all costs. A loss of 4 seconds a day is within the guidlines for COSC certification so Omega would be well within their rights to not even look at the watch however a wait time of 10-12 weeks is nothing compared to the 6 month turnaround time I was quoted for my Seamaster to be serviced 😐

I’m sorry if that doesn’t help you a lot but I really wouldn’t worry about a 4 second loss per day. If it gets any worse then by all means, contact Omega and send it off but for now, I’d just MTFU 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I agree with bwoolymbr above. I’ve had a couple of Rolex’s which both lost 3-4 seconds a day – that’s within the specified limits for a chronometer. My current Brietling gained about 1 second a day but is now losing about 2 seconds.

Don’t do anything for now as it may go back to where it was – could even be colder weather, different wearing patterns etc. Don’t even think about going to an independent or you will end up with no warranty.

teef
    Free Member

4 secs a day sounds good – my Rolex loses 2 or 3 minutes a week. I used to have to set it forward so as not to miss the train in the morning. If you want accuracy get yourself a quartz – expensive Swiss watches are mostly for show not telling the time.

duckman

As a seamaster owner,they are now crap (sorry)I had one for 15 years,got an insurance replacement that is half the watch.I am afraid that as already posted if you take it to a local watchmaker you cannot then send it off to Omega.However if you do send it off,dont expect it back anytime soon,and don’t expect to be eating anything not out of a tin with the word “spam” on it the month you pay for the service 😀 Time loss sounds about right as well.

wrightyson
    Free Member

This is the planet ocean, seamster, supposedly the cream of the movements from omega, what I can’t understand is the sudden loss of time, it’s since I wore it for 10 days on the bounce over Christmas, also slept with it on a couple of nights which is apparently a no no?!??? Why such a long wait if you send it off then??

derek_starship
    Free Member

+1 for time loss is fine and within what is “expected” of a mechanical chronometer. Just enjoy it.

If you want super accuracy, get hold of some Caesium for a kick -off.

failedengineer

Take it to a local Omega dealer and ask them to regulate it? I used to have a Rolex and I did that several times until I was told that it would have to go for a full service because there was ‘no regulation left’ They didn’t charge, by the way.

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

It takes so long for a watch to be serviced/mended because they have to be sent off to Biere, Switzerland to Omega’s repair workshop. Now I have no idea why it takes Omega twelve weeks (or six months in my case) to send a watch to Switzerland, get it fixed/serviced and send it back to the UK, but I have a sneaky feeling that it’s because this man is the only person working for Omega (hence the long delay over Christmas time!)

international

http://www.swisstimeservices.com

UK based, Omega certified, week or two turnaround

bwoolymbr
    Free Member

International –

That’s a good link for anyone with a vintage Omega but as the OP’s watch is just over seven months old I doubt they’d touch it. It’s worth a go, although I’d ask at your nearest authorised Omega stockist (or Omega store) before sending it off to them, as for it to be covered under your warranty and therefore be free of charge for you, they will have to send it off for you.

nicko74

If it’s only 7 1/2 months old, it’ll still be within its 1-2 year warranty period – surely you could sweet talk your local Omega dealer into looking at it under warranty?

As for cream of the crop of movements, is it co-axial?
    My Seamaster AT has been fairly irregular – it was gaining a minute a day for a couple of months from new, then seemed to sort itself. But now it has spells of not charging, so it just dies overnight. At present I’m just living with it (there’s not a huge dealer network over here), and biding my time.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup its the co-axial movement. Also its sent to omega uk, already spoke to the store and they confirmed all this. Why take peoples watches when they know of the waiting time. That would be a cracking place to break into if they’re holding that many watches!! 😯

nicko74

Ah fair enough, so according to the hype it should be pretty consistently accurate!
    Let us know how you get on; I might follow your example…

skiboy
    Free Member

When I first bought my Rolex SD it ran at -1 sec per day , it used to drive me nuts, then while
    On holiday in Spain a thief broke in the room that my youngest daughter was sleeping in at 3am ,
    After I beat the **** out of him i found it was running +6 secs a day !! That really drove me nuts , I went on
    TZ’s forum and asked what most people would do, most said learn to live with it as it’s still within
    COSC specs , Blow that I thought it has to be perfect but after a while I realised they were right and I was
    Being a little analy retentive about the whole thing, learn to live with it, I just set mine 1 min slow at the start of the
    Month and know it will he two mins fast by the start of the next, roughly meaning I will always be 2 mins early for everything 🙂 ,

Don’t waste your time , enjoy your watch relax , it’s only a few seconds 😉

I will get mine regulated when a service is needed in a few years, it’s 4 yrs old so that will be sometime in the next 6 possibly

joolsburger
    Free Member

4 seconds a day is roughly 99.9977% accuracy and well within COSC. Which is +6 to -4 seconds a day your watch is performing completely normally.

oxnop
    Free Member

As lots of posters have eluded to 4 seconds is well within spec.

Just enjoy the watch.

julians
    Free Member

The 10-12 weeks is the norm for omega (and Tag) servicing/repair work, and as everyone has already said, 4 sec’s per day is considered acceptable, but thats not to say it couldnt be made more accurate, but it debateable as to how long it would stay accurate.

This is why buying relatively expensive watches is completely irrational, as a £20 timex will be significantly more accurate and functional*

*I say that as someone who has a couple of pointless inaccurate but fairly pricey watches (as well as a few cheap accurate ones), so I do understand why they’re bought before I invoke the wrath of the timex/omega people.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sweet watch elfin, just missing the calculator!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, cos of this thread, I checked my cheapo £12.99 decathlon watch, which I haven’t adjusted for months, and it was just 15 seconds out. Even cheapo digitals now are more accurate than any mechanical watch could ever be. Get one of those radio time check ones, and you’re sorted. 4 seconds a day? Digitals are accurate to +- 1 sec a day or less, aren’t they mostly? Probbly even better than that these days. I do like mechanical watches, but only as jewellery.

Harry_the_Spider

My Seamaster drops 6 seconds a day. Always has, even after a service. You just have to live with it.

Mapin & Webb in Manchester are an approved Omega service centre but their turn around was about 2 months last time I took mine in.

nicko74

Ah but Elf, when the end of the world comes, your batteries will die and we’ll be laughing maniacally as we wind wind wind our automatic watches that will run forever*!!

*-subject to servicing every 3-5 years.

Woody
    Free Member

Agree with above re accuracy – something which might be worth trying is to place the watch in a different position when you go to bed and monitor the results. Face up/down/sideways while not being worn can make a difference…..and no I’m not joking!

loddrik
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s running fine to me. BTW, the movement on the Planet Ocean is an OK movement, nothing too special. Based on an basic ETA with the Co-Axial modification.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Watch Aficionados Help! (I know there's a few on here)’ is closed to new replies.