Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wat has gone long with this mace
  • nedrapier

tazzymtb

That’s not a mace! It appears to be a rondel

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’ve spent all afternoon thinking of that one, haven’t you?

nedrapier

The scene shown is actually a depiction of the Lord Mayor of London William Walworth striking Wat Tyler from his horse with his mace and stabbing him with a dagger. Although this is a 14th century tale, the clothes depicted are actually pretty contemporary to the mid 17th, as was the underlying feeling of revolt in the country generally. What fascinates me [Not me – nr] about this image is not the murder being enacted in the middle, but the group of peasants, who could easily be seen as 1640s yokel clubmen (or possibly native irish men in the reuse) on the right hand side. They are carrying pitchforks and various implements and at least one is dressed in a long coat or possibly a smock. There are several short tabbed doublets being worn too and what looks like an embroidered cap on the Mayor centre left.

Isn’t it?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

nedrapier

What fascinates me, is wot’s gone wrong with Wat’s horsedog/doghorse?? Why the tiny face?

takisawa2

In Nedrapiers depiction [2013] of the Battle of Wheel-Size Moore, one’s eye is immedietley drawn the gayety & whisperous mocking of the Wheel du Clowne footsoldiers as they flee the two penis legged man-horse. The fatal blow having been struck, the ranks of the Peanut-Headed horseman stand agast. A truly epic depiction.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wat has gone long with this mace’ is closed to new replies.