Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Wasps in my attic
  • bencooper
    Free Member

That’s not a euphemism. I have wasps in the shop attic – they’ve built a 6″ nest. Don’t cause me any trouble, but they do wander about a bit if I leave the light on up there.

I’ve ordered a Final Solution – do I deploy it, or just leave them be?

ton

me too…..leave em be.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive always lived alongside them as long as they don’t cause a fuss

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Leave it till winter, they’ll all die off, then remove the empty nest.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If the “final solution” involves Samuel Jackson saying ” I have had it with these mother ducking wasps in this mother ducking attic ” you should most definitely deploy it.

bencooper
    Free Member

😀

I’ll leave them, save the Final Solution in case it all kicks off.

mike_p
    Free Member

Leave it till winter, they’ll all die off, then remove the empty nest

^^ this

tomhoward

Nuke ’em. Nuke the Ba***rds.

sweepy
    Free Member

Leave it till winter, they’ll all die off, then remove the empty nest

I think if you leave the empty nest it helps deter new nests in future

therealhoops
    Free Member

DO NOT REMOVE THE EMPTY NEST.

Apparently they never return to the same site, *might be bollocks*. Either way, I had some in our shed. I left the nest as instructed from the tinterweb and they’ve never been back.

bencooper
    Free Member

That makes sense – apparently you can buy decoy nests to stop them appearing.

steveoath
    Free Member

Doesn’t your insurance cover their removal? We get it as standard with ours.

nedrapier

Could they/would they snip their way through a plastic binbag?

Just imagining about a binbag on a cinchable wire loop on a stick type arrangement.

Not quite sure what you’d do with them afterwards though. take them for a drive and release them humanely into the countryside/bonfire?

bencooper
    Free Member

It might do, but since the smoke bomb thing was £3.99 I can’t be bothered with all that.

It was more an ethical question…

nedrapier

Do you have ethical dilemmas about weeding, or cutting the grass?

IA

smoke bomb

Leave the nest, save the smoke bomb for escaping from awkward customers?

bencooper
    Free Member

Do you have ethical dilemmas about weeding, or cutting the grass?

I don’t weed or cut the grass – but no, plants are different to animals.

havinalaff
    Free Member

In my shed I found a can of wd40 and a cigarette lighter to be very effective.

5thElefant
    Free Member

^ This is my preferred approach. Badgers are good too. But that might be just for bees.

bencooper
    Free Member

In an attic with a wooden roof, full of cardboard boxes, above a workshop with oxyacetylene cylinders, that might not be such a good idea 😉

D0NK

aww go on, just make sure you go pro it and have 999 on speed dial 🙂

timidwheeler

We had one in the loft a couple of years ago. We tried leaving it, but it was directly above our bed and as August wore on the noise got too much (they got up earlier than we did). Also they exited right by our patio and patio doors which meant having anything to eat or drink outside or having the doors open during dinner turned into a massive waspfest.

stavaigan
    Free Member

Had one in shed last month. Same size. Poked it with a long stick and ran. Came back and they’d started to build a new one. Poked with long stick and ran. Came back and they were still loitering. Couple of days later theyd gone.

johnellison
    Free Member

If it’s causing bother, surely your local authority will remove it FOC? I know ours do/did.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Just send a feisty Jack Russell up there and come back in a couple of hours.

Hang on, I was thinking of rats.

nedrapier

Announcer (Eric Idle): “Wasp Club” introduced as usual by Ronny Thompson

Ronny (Terry Jones): Hello and welcome to Wasp Club, where we….

Announcer: We interrupt this sketch to take you straight back to Novel writing from Dorchester and the latest news about that opening sentence

(loud crowd noise in background)

Reporter (Michael Palin): Well, the noise you can hear is because Hardy has just completed his first sentence and it’s a real cracker. Just listen to this. “A Saturday afternoon in November was approaching the time of twilight and the vast track of unenclosed wild knows as Egden Heath enbrowned itself moment by moment.” and that after only three hours of writing. What a Hardy-esque cracker…

Announcer: Well, Ronny Thompson will be back with more of Wasp Club when he is all better. Meanwhile, here is Jeremy Burke with a new series of Tiger Club.

(intro music)

Announcer (Michael Palin): “Tiger Club” introduced by Jeremy Burke.

Burke (John Cleese): Good evening. One of the main problems in keeping a Siberian tiger in an ordinary suburban..ahhh hooo… (yells) Oh, Christ! There’s a wasp in here!

(people running around trying to swat the wasp)

Burke: Quick, before he gets on the tiger! ….Oh, ****!

(yelling, general panic)

Announcer (Eric Idle): Well, “Tiger Club” was introduced by (tiger roars, Eric screams)

Announcer (Michael Palin): Before the next joke, there will be a short raspberry

(a short raspberry)

Announcer: And you will be able to hear that again… (wasp sound) OH!!!..oh!!… (running and yelling)

johndoh
    Free Member

We just bought a new house and had a nest right by the front door and another below the kitchen window at the back (in the garden where our 4 yr old twins play).

£43 for council pest control to come out, 45 minutes later. Dead.

5thElefant
    Free Member

How much do you pay someone to get a spider out of the bath?

johndoh
    Free Member

I do that myself thanks.

I decided against using potentially dangerous poisons with small children around given that I have no prior experience in the use of them.

stevied
    Free Member

Badgers are good too

Does the badger replace the lighter or the WD40? Not sure what would be worse, a badger on fire or a badger that’s p’d off because it’s just been sprayed with WD…

Back OT, I hate wasps so would deploy everything available.

z1ppy

I’d love to suggest leaving them, but as you go into August and there more fruit about, they tend to get drunk on the fermented fruit and start getting leering (though this doc suggest the same behaviour for a different reason)… might not be the best intensive for customers.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was wondering where all the wasps had gone this summer. Hiding in your loft.

I’ve got house martins nesting, if it’s any consolation. At least they eat all the spiders.

johndoh
    Free Member

When pest control came round, they said they’d just poisoned three other houses on our street in the same day.

therealhoops
    Free Member
    martinhutch

What’s a ‘Final Solution’ – is that some kind of bug bomb? And what do they market it as in Germany? 😯

Crell
    Free Member

I was wondering where all the wasps had gone this summer.

They’re at my house eating the doors and windows to make their nests, as they do every year.

Andy

Cold weather earlier in the year has significantly reduced the population. Leave em be if they’re not causing a problem.

mrhoppy

Overalls, gardening gloves, balaclava & duct tape combined with a big stick and binbag fixed ours last year. Wasn’t there to see what happened when it went into the bin lorry though.

unovolo
    Free Member

Ben Cooper earlier today

stimpy
    Free Member

*is disappointed that therealhoops link isn’t to someone taking out a wasps nest with bombers and a bag of wee*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Wasps in my attic’ is closed to new replies.