Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wasps eating my decking and chairs!
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

Does anyone know why the wasps are eating my decking and my chairs? sat out in the garden and you can here them stripping the top layer off the wood, and now you can see lots of lines all over the decking and chairs… photos to follow

Ricks

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

To make their beautiful nests with ?

Drac

Yup to make paper for their nests.

rickon
    Free Member

rickon
    Free Member

Hmm…. does that mean we’ll have a nest in the garden then? Or do they come from a way away to get the good stuff?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

^^ That’s naughty. Spray something nasty on the wood.

Drac

Nest is probably not far away.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or do they come from a way away to get the good stuff?

TBH your decking looks quite tasty, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they travel some distance to sample its delight.

CountZero

That’s naughty. Spray something nasty in the wood.

Why? They’re not boring into it like woodworm do, and wasps kill lots of plant-damaging bugs in order to feed their young.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why?

So that they find other wood to use and not spoil rickon’s decking ?

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve tried shouting at them, I’ve called them names, I made fun of their yellow and black jumpers and they seem not to care.

I’m going to dress up like a sexy bee and see if that’ll get their attention.

Maybe I’ll get the dogs a bee outfit…..

rickon
    Free Member

On second thoughts, wouldn’t that make him a….

Phnarg.

Smudger666

Got a sort of reed screen on the inside of the fence on our decking – it’s quite pleasant of a summer’s eve to spend an evening listening to the wasps behind my head skimming the top layer off the reeds! Almost therapeutic.

🙂

pocketrocket
    Free Member

They were making short work of my shed last year, a coating of stain seemed to put a stop to them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try and see where they are heading, shouldn’t be too far, and get the nest zapped. Job done.

Drac

Why zap the nest?

solarpowered
    Free Member

Leave them bee I say! 😉

MartynS

solarpowered – Member
    Leave them bee I say!
    POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Seriously…..
    What am I working with here….

maccruiskeen

I’ve tried shouting at them, I’ve called them names, I made fun of their yellow and black jumpers and they seem not to care.

A simple sign should suffice

however… it think the patterns they make when they chomp the wood are really pretty – following the softer part of the grain, they’re only taking the tiniest skim off the surface and its material that will weather away anyway as the wood ages. If the wasps aren’t causing any other bother then just let them get on with it. Wasps used to eat my workshop door but other than seeing them do that I never really saw them around, or was bothered by them otherwise….. until I accidentally picked up their nest (which was hiding in some batts of insulation I was storing) and tore it in half. That was exciting. But the upshot, having wreaked the nest ,was loads of homeless wasps and for the rest of that summer they really were a bother.

Cletus

Maybe try leaving some tastier wood in your garden to divert them?

ac505
    Free Member

qwerty
    Free Member

Hi, I’m a waspatologist, I know for certain that wasps detest the smell of human urine and cannot digest the enzymes contained within it, I strongly advise you to copiously urinate upon all the wood work, better still get all your mates round to help out to enhance a polyurinic effect. The effect will be long lasting.

teethgrinder

Wasps are dicks. Burn them. With fire.

Northwind

Poor feller looks infinitely sad…

Don’t worry too much about nests, you can have one very close to your house and have it make very little difference, they’re roamers anyway. Buuuut, you don’t want a nest anywhere too close, frinstance in an area you work, right by a door or regularily opened window, near kids play areas etc.

CountZero

Don’t worry too much about nests, you can have one very close to your house and have it make very little difference, they’re roamers anyway. Buuuut, you don’t want a nest anywhere too close, frinstance in an area you work, right by a door or regularily opened window, near kids play areas etc.

Hornets, on the other hand… 😯

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wasps eating my decking and chairs!’ is closed to new replies.