Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wasp nest in the loft
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Went in the loft today for the first time in ages

There’s an impressive nest built upon the inside of the gable end wall

99% sure it’s wasps rather than bees but I didn’t hang around too long to check

Don’t see any way they can get into the house from there as we don’t use the loft much

So am I OK to leave them be and what happens to them over the winter? Will they return to the same nest next year?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just burn your house down and be done with it.

Then nuke the ashes from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

m0rk
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s a wasps nest? Go and give it a big kick to see.

I’d get it killed though, and seal up however the little bastards got in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Cardboard box. Makeshift lid. Stick. Video camera.

Extra marks for falling through the ceiling in desperation.

Oh, alright. They don’t return to the same nest but may well try to come back to the same location for a fresh go next year. Are they coming through the light fittings yet?

Scamper
    Free Member

Isn’t the approved STW way of dealing with this situation to ignore the wife’s suggestion to get a professional in, go up semi naked, place the nest on a cushion, then fall down the loft steps into the awaiting wheelie bin?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So am I OK to leave them be…..

Oh very good.

Have you heard about Eric btw ?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_-vxAFcQIU[/video]

TheBrick
    Free Member

In most other situations I’d deal with it myself but you are really trapped in a loft! Pay someone else to risk their arse this time!

m0rk
    Free Member

Isn’t the approved STW way of dealing with this situation to ignore the wife’s suggestion

I thought that was just the general thing men did. Wasn’t restricted to STW

bruneep

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wasps-nests-to-get-rid-of-or-not

I found the foam spray most effective… 😈

Tinners

Thank you, Scamper. I’ve still got the tremor and the nervous tick whenever I hear a distant buzz.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/when-you-spray-a-wasps-nest-how-fast-do-the-little-bs-come-out/page/2

legend
    Free Member

Wait till the evening, get some foam or powder, go crazy with it, hope it does the job.

slowoldman

They will probably come back. Get the council in to kill ’em. They normally leave the nest as wasps won’t come back to a dead ‘un. I had one done then a year or two later dropped the now empty nest into a bin bag and removed it.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Nah they’d never get through the inches of insulation to get to the light fitting

Probably just leave them, they’re doing no harm, might have another look in a few months

Daffy

The council will come and remove it for £50.

Daffy

That nest is made from the wood from your joists

Northwind

Probably as a result of some man cleaning. “Oh, there’s a wasp’s nest here, should we get rid of it?” “Nah, you never know when it might come in useful, stick it in the attic then forget about it”

deadkenny
    Free Member

So long as they can’t find a hole into the house, just leave them. They’ll vacate the nest eventually and that one is dead and then you can bin/burn the nest. The queen will attempt to build another though and might come back to the loft again, or not.

I’ve had nests in mine before. Discovered vacated nest inside a box for I think it was hifi stuff. Open box, sh’t!! Then *phew* seems dead. Beyond that I think there’s been more up there, but all I find are dead wasps lying about. Never get into the house though (saying that they probably will now as got the hatch open to cool the house).

ell_tell
    Free Member

Had an old nest in a loft space at work. Pest control chap said wasps don’t return to an old nest, and just yanked it off the joist and slung it in the wheelie bin!

skids
    Free Member

I would leave it, they need to go outside to hunt, probably not interesting it getting in the house

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Check your house insurance, some policies cover you for wasp nests in or around your property.

manton69

Just leave it. I had one in are red house that sounded like they were eating the joists. What thematically doing was bringing the cellulose back to the nest and building. Saying that this one was huge (covered and area of 3m2) but nobody in the house got stung, I did not need to go in the loft, and when they had left it wasa great thing to go and look at, but I did take it out as it took up so much space.

It is still not as good as they guy in the New Forest who essentially let a hornet nest live in his spare room. The windows were all open and they just came in and built their nest. He just closed the door, taped up the gap and left them to it. They are fascinating creatures and try and find their nests to watch them (probably means I m strange as well).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wasp nest in the loft’ is closed to new replies.